any honda s2000 owners?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
only got to take it for a spin twice today, to and from work but i'd be lying if i said i wasn't completely head over heels over this thing. it already feels familiar, so easy to get used to. it's truely a 'drivers' vehicle. from the tight suspension to the smooth as silk clutch to the short and sweet shifter not to mention how badass the motor sounds. i want to get a k&n ram air intake first for even better sound, and then a quieter exhaust so that i can hear more of the motor. but first i need new tires, the ones on here are terrible and nearly worn out.

i was recommended (by an enthusiast who drives a turboed 4 banger mustang) sumitomo htr a/s p02 all season. anyone familiar with those? they're really cheap too, apparently they are a hidden gem?

here is a quickie right after i parked to go into work.
WP_20170224_14_01_26_Pro_zpshoncso7n.jpg~original

it's missing the H emblem, so was thinking putting on a red badge from nsx.

Hmmm, not sure you need to think about all-season tires when you live in Boca. i would be focusing on "summer performance tires", unless you are going to get a separate set of wheels/ tires for auto-x.

Nice looking ride. Maybe just the photo, looks like the headlight lens need polishing up easy fix.

what i want is good rain performance, i dont like to slow down when roads are wet. i also dont want to spend a lot of money yet. :D
"Summer performance" does not mean poor rain performance. Tread design and depth is the biggest thing as far as steering. And as far as stopping goes, that is more related to the stickiness of the tread.

I have lived with all-season "high-performance" tires in my daily drivers since 1990, and they are nowhere near as good for spirited driving as summer performance tires. Typically the all-seasons are much harder tread compounds.

For florida you don't need all season. Look into goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric. Amazing in dry and wet, absolute great tyre.

Yokohama, michelin, continental are all highly dependable & reliable brands

You will get more outright grip from a road legal R compound track tyre in the wet than a street performance tyre. They won't last too long, but stick like the proverbial to a blanket. It's all in the rubber compound. Soft sticks. Hard doesn't.
I've used Bridgestone R compound on a road/track Alfetta GTV. Buzzed like a swarm of bees, but cornered like nothing else!

In a street performance tyre I've had the best experience of grip with wear resistance from Dunlop.

Having said that, if you want to go fast, do it on a racetrack. The street is not the place. Street fast is track slow. No comparison!

Enjoy :)

That test video you've linked really makes you feel that you need that car no wonder you bought one. :)
Looks like a black demon. Bit jealous now. :)

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 for "summer performance" tires... they are not cheap, but handle everything but snow perfectly. It should be noted that these (or many performance tires) won't last past 20k miles.

And congratulations panda... You just found a hobby more expensive than your knife obsession

i really need a tire that lasts more than 20k miles (i drive at minumum 350 miles a week), but still good on wet pavement.

i've been on s2ki forum ALL morning and still reading. first 5 minutes saved me lots of money because i originally thought i needed to replace the vtec valve due to oil leak when instead i just gotta replace the gasket(s) which is a $26 part from ebay.

Brake pads are the other consumable where you will have to sort pros/ cons and decide on what mix of properties is best for your varied needs/ uses. But they are cheaper to replace then tires if you change your mind.

Michelin pilot sport are the best tires Ive ever owned

took one last look at the tires that it came with and they were the wrong size. oem supposed to be f: 205/55r16 r: 225/50r16 instead they had on 205/50r16 and 225/55r16

the new shoes grip much better and are very smooth, BUT there seems to be zero road feedback. that's supposed to be a good thing but i'm hardcore and miss the lively feeling of getting a sense of each nook and cranny of the road.

another hardcore moment: drove with the top down in the rain and actually enjoyed it :D besides, the flapping noise with the top up drives me crazy.

Nice!
You might want to look into your local SCCA chapter. Up here we do "track days", non competitive track driving. It helps with the frustration of street driving.
Nice looking car. I'm not a car geek but I do like to drive. I see you bought tires but for what it's worth I ran on Hankook performance for 50K miles. No issues. This year I switched to Goodyear all season performance. Night and day on the track but at least I can drive when it snows. Which is a lot.

i would really love to do track days more than anything, but it is my daily driver and i know i will beat the living crap out of it if i take it to the track so i'm gonna hold off until i can afford a second car (which is why i didn't go with highest tier performance tires, i really like the look of bridgestone re-71r though).

i don't get any snow here in southern florida, but i was concerned about rain and hydroplaning resistance which the firestones are more than capable at. 50k miles good lord that's a long arse life. i'm expecting mine to last 15k hopefully 20.

after i pay this thing off, i would like to get a first generation acura nsx for strictly track use and keep the s2k as a daily driver.

speaking of street driving, the other day several cars pulled up to me, made eye contact and revved their engines to try to get me to race. one in particular (in a tricked out g35) was not taking no for an answer, he would blast off, slow down until i caught up, blast off again, and did it a third time! we were in heavy traffic, no way i was risking getting my new ride impounded for reckless street racing. but man the urge was there! but i let him think i was going to race by revving mine upto vtec but not actually dropping the clutch and letting it pull.

That happens to me too and always resist. I put an after market suspension on it which dropped it an inch and I have black after market rims so it looks "racey". I pretty much know what the car can do and am satisfied saying to myself, "I'd smoke you."

I agree about the car taking a pounding on the track. After the last time I realized I can't do it too often. I put the Goodyears on the day before the last track day and noticed chunks out of the tread near the sidewalls afterward. Also had the breaks checked because they were squeaking. I have two sets of rims and considered swapping tires out for the track but now we're talking about added hassle and expense.

got my first performance mod, installed a high flow cat converter today.
evs tuning
evs%20hfc%2063.5mm_zpscshc9vh1.jpg~original

my butt dyno says it gives more torque, and it sounds slightly more aggressive. most important, upon first drive with it, gave me instant smiles!

putting in a crazy looking big arse intake next week, update to follow.

Back