Any interest for an EU gyuto passaround?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're right, Manuel. She passes the three finger test.

The knife is on its way to the next in line (riba). All that's left to me is to post my thoughts on this knife, which I'll do later today.

Here’s my review of Ian’s gyuto.

Looks

The first thing I noticed when I unpacked Ian’s knife is that she is a beauty. The entire blade is well polished and the knife has a handle of redwood burl. What I liked best is the bolster, made of stainless steel and brass. It is personal of course, but to me this gives the knife just a bit of extra class.

The handle is relatively long and wide. It tapers down from its butt to the blade. The handle is octagonal, but unlike most octagonal handles, which look elliptic, this one looks more square.

The fit and finish of this knife is excellent. The stainless steel of the bolster encloses the blade without any gaps. And although you can feel the transition from the wood to the bolster when you run over it with your finger, this is also without any gaps. The spine and choil of the knife are rounded, which makes it very comfortable to hold.

Blade

The blade is just over 21 cm long and it has a height above the heel of 46 mm. This is pretty similar to many other gyutos of this length and provides more than enough knuckle clearance to me. It has a profile with a pretty long flat spot, I’d say about one third of its length. It has a little belly, but not too much.

The blade is pretty thin: above the heel the spine is 2.4 mm wide. There is not a lot of tapering of the spine until a couple of centimeters before the tip. But then it tapers down very nicely to a whopping 0.7 mm one centimeter from the tip. In comparison: this is 0.1 mm less than my 19 cm Carter funayuki.

The geometry of the blade is also good: about 2 to 2.5 centimeters from the edge the blade starts to taper down towards the edge, in a slightly convex manner.

Although a knife with these dimensions could be classified as a laser, I’m a bit hesitant to do so with this knife. The reason is its weight: 217 grams, which is pretty heavy for such a gyuto. For example, my 21 cm Suisin Inox honyaki gyuto weighs exactly 100 grams less. And this Haburn knife weighs almost the same as my Hiromoto gyuto, but this is a 24 cm knife with a Western handle. The weight is probably caused by the handle, which also affects the weight distribution. The balance point of the knife is right in front of the bolster.

The blade is made of AEB-L which is my favourite stainless steel for kitchen knives. Of all stainless steels this is the one I can get the sharpest. AEB-L doesn’t have the best edge retention, but since I like sharpening this is no problem.

Use

I used the knife for a couple of days, cutting things I normally cut as well. I cut a bit more stuff than normal, but I am a home cook, so I can only review the knife from that perspective.

Before use I stropped the knife on my 5K Chosera stone. I did not want to sharpen it, since it is not my own knife.

The handle felt good in my hands, even though it is a bit larger than usual. I always use a pinch grip. The knife was a bit too heavy for me, though, and I had to get used to the weight.

The first thing I cut were onions. When Matus wrote that this knife put his Carter funayuki to a shame, I was a bit sceptical. But Matus was right. :bigeek: This thing performed at least on par with my Carter. It flies through onions! I cut up a whole net just for the fun of it. :knife:

The knife also performed great on hard veggies: it went through carrots, potatoes , celery and white winter radish without any problem. I didn’t notice any wedging at all. The knife also dealt well with peppers and pretty soft tomatoes. And of course it laughed at proteins.

Food release is never great on thin knives and this one is no exception.

The profile of the knife, with a long flat spot and not too much belly, may make it a little more suitable for push cutting than for rock chopping. That said, I rock chopped herbs without any problem.

Conclusion

I enjoyed this knife a lot. It is first and foremost a very good cutter. And a beautiful cutter. The knife should appeal to people who like a laser type of knife that is a bit heavier than usual.

Many thanks Ian for letting me try this knife!

Factsheet

Whoooaaaaa....insanity! I love the graphs! And the silhouettes!

Urraah, it arrived :D

The knife tried to escape while traveling (which I noticed when I stabbed myself in the finger a tiny bit while grabbing the package), causing a bend in the tip of the tip (ever so tiny). That sucks but it should be a very easy fix.

Anway, it is a gorgeous knife. Fortunately, I have a long weekend off to make dinners :D :D which I am very looking forward too.

Urraah, it arrived :D

The knife tried to escape while traveling (which I noticed when I stabbed myself in the finger a tiny bit while grabbing the package), causing a bend in the tip of the tip (ever so tiny). That sucks but it should be a very easy fix.

Anway, it is a gorgeous knife. Fortunately, I have a long weekend off to make dinners :D :D which I am very looking forward too.

Thanks Riba, the knife should have a felt lined kydex sleeve. If not please please make a cardboard/thick paper sleeve when you send it so nobody else gets stabbed. :) Thanks!

i just checked and indeed i still have the kydex sleeve. i am very sorry about that. i will contact benuser for his adress and send it to him, if thats ok with you.

i just checked and indeed i still have the kydex sleeve. i am very sorry about that. i will contact benuser for his adress and send it to him, if thats ok with you.

I wouldn't worry about - the cost of shipping it is more than it's worth. Riba PM'd me and said he would make sure it's shipped safely. Thanks for checking! :biggrin:

Alright, the gyuto is on its way to Benuser, I wouldn't have mind at all to keep it ;) A write-up will follow as soon as I have a bit more free time, but it's one lovely knife!

The knife has arrived! Thanks, Benuser. Looking forward to trying it out.

Just wanted to say thanks for the excellent communication!

The package was waiting for me yesterday when I came back from work, thanks!
On another note, I am the last one on the passaround, so I will be shipping it back to you Ian, unless you tell me otherwise

The package was waiting for me yesterday when I came back from work, thanks!
On another note, I am the last one on the passaround, so I will be shipping it back to you Ian, unless you tell me otherwise

Sounds good - please send me a PM or an email and I'll split the shipping with you when it's shipped back.

Thanks for the generous offer Ian, but there's no need to split the shipping with me, i'll cover it :)
Sending you a PM now for the details

From Benuser with permission,

"First of all, I should explain that I'm not used to play in this league.
I've used, owned, sharpened, industrially made knives with Western handles in the price range between $70 and $250. No customs or near-customs. The level of refinement with F&F is simply unknown to me. My best ones so far are a few Misonos and a Blazen. But this is a different category.
I won't give any measurements after Mark's excellent report I can agree with, except for one minor point I will address separately.
So, just my first impressions. I wondered about the large, heavy handle. It caused me to change my grip and move it buttwise if I may say so. No big deal really, after half an hour it was already most familiar, but I'm used to pinch grip slightly blade heavy knives.
The blade I received had a huge burr on the left side. Closer inspection made it likely it hadn't been sharpened since its first shipping. I first removed the burr what needed quite a large angle, something in the above 16 degree area. So far so good, but when I used the Haburn in a short shift involving 6 kilos of beef, a few kilos of onions and hard carrots, all on crappy poly boards, the edge failed as if it was a soft 54HRc French carbon.
After discussion the matter with Ian decided to sharpen it. Following the existing geometry I ended with a very common convexed 10 degree on the right side, and some straight 16 on the left. I don't know whether the blade was meant to be asymmetric -- and that is my difference with Mark's findings -- but that was the edge I didn't want to change, and it performed very well. I should add that I'm used to that kind of geometry and my perception of other ones might be strongly biased.
The inferior part is strongly convexed. It made me cause some naughty scuffs. If the knife were mine, I would add a strong microbevel, on that part only.
Seen from the spine the distal taper isn't too evident. But the grinding, much thinner behind the edge in the forward section, has the same effect, without compromising its stiffness.
I've used it again in a short shift and has performed very well, corresponding to the expectations. Excellent edge retention, familiar, French profile. Curiously I never found it too short. Normally I do the same with 240 or 270mm blades, but this shorty did very well.
I find very privileged to may have used it, and it was great fun."

I received the knife yesterday and in good shape. Everyone took care of the gyuto, kept the schedule on time, and communicated well. Huge THANKS to everyone involved!
Many people commented on the handle size - which I agree with 100% that it's big.

I don't have the knife anymore, Ben, but when I look closely at the choil shot, you seem to be right about the asymmetry. Oddly I did not notice any steering at all. Did you?

And Ian, did you choose these 10/16 (or so) angles on purpose?

No steering, and that isn't surprising either with a very convexed right bevel and a straight left bevel at a much higher angle. It was very balanced, but I should add I'm used to that kind of configurations. I might compensate without being aware of it.

I don't have the knife anymore, Ben, but when I look closely at the choil shot, you seem to be right about the asymmetry. Oddly I did not notice any steering at all. Did you?

And Ian, did you choose these 10/16 (or so) angles on purpose?

The photo in post #87 is taken slightly off center - you can see the edge running to the right. I have the gyuto and checked the grind several times and I can't detect any asymmetry. Both sides are convexed and both have a hollow at the top.

Back