Anyone else into watches?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m pretty confident my Apple Watch may have saved my life because of the heart rate feature. So there’s that too 🤷🏽

Well that does sound like a handy bit of added functionality, however...

I've heard that the new Patek Phillippe can precisely display the current phase of the moon in French Polynesia, no matter where you are in the world. And moreover - it only needs the date wheel changing five times per year, and you’ll still have (a little) change from $1m!

Swings and roundabouts, eh.

Last edited:
Rolling with the nomos club. Incredibly thin. No frills with some thrill.

Attachments

• IMG_2903.jpeg
    IMG_2903.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Lovely!

I almost mentioned Nomos in my earlier reply about Tudor.

Brands that if you see someone wearing one, you can tell they’re into watches; Seiko, Doxa, Tudor, Nomos…
I have nothing against Seiko, but wouldn't put it in that list though.

Just about anyone who I know who is not into watches but wanted a mechanical at some point in their life bought a Seiko 5 just because it was the cheapest option at the local retailer.

I've heard that the new Patek Phillippe can precisely display the current phase of the moon in French Polynesia, no matter where you are in the world. And moreover - it only needs the date wheel changing five times per year, and you’ll still have (a little) change from $1m!
It's important to be aware of the phase of the moon. Especially for men…

I have nothing against Seiko, but wouldn't put it in that list though.

Just about anyone who I know who is not into watches but wanted a mechanical at some point in their life bought a Seiko 5 just because it was the cheapest option at the local retailer.

Mmm, fair point. I was mostly thinking about some of the more serious, classic Seiko divers, and obviously GS. But I realise it's broader church than that!

I do think it's a brand that is particularly loved by watch geeks though.

Agreed. The mod community is huge for seiko. They have some awesome kits that you can do a lot with if that’s your jam.
Yeah true, even suppliers with meteorite dials etc. The sky is the limit there.

Here’s a proper geek watch on that theme…

I got this SKX007 mod about 15 years ago. Back in the early days of modding, when you could only get one by trawling through a load of Harold / Yobokies’s photo albums, and sending him an email with exactly which parts you wanted fitting.

I’ve had to open it up and play with the movement a coupla times, but still going strong!

IMG_4153.jpeg

Nice! Even though it's not for me to work on a watch, I can totally see why they are the ideal candidate to mod.
Everything is relatively cheap, parts readily available, lots of info everywhere and you can create something unique where with most everything else you're stuck to a catalog or lose tremendous value.

Nice! Even though it's not for me to work on a watch, I can totally see why they are the ideal candidate to mod.
Everything is relatively cheap, parts readily available, lots of info everywhere and you can create something unique where with most everything else you're stuck to a catalog or lose tremendous value.
The are the Honda Civics of watches :D

Unfortunately I only seem to pick expensive hobbies 😂🤣

I’ve been into watches for over 10 years now and my favorite by far is my Panerai that’s traveled the world with me

Anyone else got the itch?View attachment 273855

Weeeeelllll... I just got a new (to me) Panerai today. PAM 753.

PXL_20240326_114754833.jpg

I've had a PAM ZERO before. I like the dials to be as clean as possible... No second hand. And also bottom of the heap price wise (for the brand). These watches are kind of nuts but in a good way.

This is one for the summer seasion I think. :)

I like watches but I’m glad I didn’t do a full dive
Into the rabbit hole. Just a few, and it helps temper the itch that the ones I like require a healthy(expensive) relationship with a local AD.
This was my last purchase because it was relatively easy to buy:
IMG_1182.jpeg

Last edited:
I like watches. Nothing horrifically fancy. a Tudor, a Nomos, a Stowa, a GShock MT-G, and Seiko Diver.
My main watch is a Tudor BB36. I don't like watches so expensive I don't dare to take them places.

Attachments

• P5160131.jpg
    P5160131.jpg
    782.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Casio Oceanus. My daily “beater”.

Attachments

• IMG_5220.jpeg
    IMG_5220.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Weeeeelllll... I just got a new (to me) Panerai today. PAM 753.

View attachment 310742

I've had a PAM ZERO before. I like the dials to be as clean as possible... No second hand. And also bottom of the heap price wise (for the brand). These watches are kind of nuts but in a good way.

This is one for the summer seasion I think. :)
Love it! I’ve got a PAM183, considering upgrading to a PAM190. I love the Radiomir cushion case and conical crown. I like the small seconds but I get that’s not for everyone.

Anyone rocking custom straps? I’m a big fan of Aaron Bespoke straps (got three of them).

Love it! I’ve got a PAM183, considering upgrading to a PAM190. I love the Radiomir cushion case and conical crown. I like the small seconds but I get that’s not for everyone.

Anyone rocking custom straps? I’m a big fan of Aaron Bespoke straps (got three of them).
I love Bulang & sons straps and own several. They are made in Tuscany by Jean Paul Menicucci (JPM). Reasonably priced for the quality.

https://www.jeanpaulmenicucci.com/en/

I like watches. Nothing horrifically fancy. a Tudor, a Nomos, a Stowa, a GShock MT-G, and Seiko Diver.
My main watch is a Tudor BB36. I don't like watches so expensive I don't dare to take them places.
what stowa do you have? That was my gateway watch. got the partitio and then my wife got me the marine. Huge fan of the nomos. not my GADA choice but just a nice understated watch

what stowa do you have? That was my gateway watch. got the partitio and then my wife got me the marine. Huge fan of the nomos. not my GADA choice but just a nice understated watch
I own both those Stowas models too, got them used. I like the Singaporean micro brand Vario as well for affordable yet stylish/historical. I want a 100-200m rated solar quartz of some kind for rougher work/play times and that's probably me done with 6 or so watches. Crazy expensive hobby if you let it be.

I own both those Stowas models too, got them used. I like the Singaporean micro brand Vario as well for affordable yet stylish/historical. I want a 100-200m rated solar quartz of some kind for rougher work/play times and that's probably me done with 6 or so watches. Crazy expensive hobby if you let it be.
Why not a solar g shock?

I’m looking at…. A Cartier solar beat. Just so classic.

Attachments

• DSC_1485.jpg
    DSC_1485.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 0
Back