Aogami Gyuto Recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volta87

Reaction score
Hi all. I’ve got a

- Custom O1 170mm Gyuto
- Nakagawa Silver #3 Cleaver
- Ashi Hamono White #2

, and I would like to add a Blue (Super, #1 or #2) 240mm Gyuto to my collection.

This knife will be my daily driver. Beef, Chicken, Onion, Carrots, Herbs etc. No bone or hard veg like Swede/Turnips.

I’d like something really quite special around the £400/600 range that is in stock or will be in stock.

I’d like a new knife and not a pre owned for this particular knife.

Can anyone suggest anything that may meet my needs?

Many thanks

Konosuke SKD

This could sway me too. But I’ve unintentionally got it into it head that white and blue is the best steel. Wrongly I’m sure.

As to the OP's question... it would help if you have more 'preferences' to narrow down the selection than just steel type. So... weight / grind / height / balance , etc.

Last edited:
Hi all. I’ve got a

- Custom O1 170mm Gyuto
- Nakagawa Silver #3 Cleaver
- Ashi Hamono White #2

, and I would like to add a Blue (Super, #1 or #2) 240mm Gyuto to my collection.

This knife will be my daily driver. Beef, Chicken, Onion, Carrots, Herbs etc. No bone or hard veg like Swede/Turnips.

I’d like something really quite special around the £400/600 range that is in stock or will be in stock.

I’d like a new knife and not a pre owned for this particular knife.

Can anyone suggest anything that may meet my needs?

Many thanks
In American English Swedes are called rutabagas. @volta87 don’t be afraid of using even the thinnest gyuto on hard vegetables. Bones are a different story but turnips and squash won’t damage these knives as long as you don’t twist the blade. And despite the snarky comment, like lots of vegetables they’re delicious if you cook them properly

https://www.wnyc.org/story/recipe-alice-waterss-rutabaga-and-parsnip-gratin/

any of the hatsukokoro (yoake, komorebi, shinkiro) are great in the price range.

Not sure if toyama’s still exist at that price range in europe. Im sure quite a few ss clads will turn up if you want to try bst.

Maybe this post should be moved to the Unpopular Opinions thread, but I'm not a fan of Blue 1 (at least in the versions I've tried). It's just too prone to chipping. I've always had to create a fairly large microbevels to avoid chips.

Others seem to love it, so maybe it's just unique to me.

Definitely look into @Knot Handcrafted and @Jaeger here on the forum (not sure of his business name).

I've had one knife from Michael Knot and it was very nice. He will be the maker of my next custom as well.

EDIT: Sorry, I should've clarified, I don't know that either of these gentlemen can do Aogami but they can do other equally awesome steels.

Last edited:
I’m going to vote against newer Mizunos. Around 2017 they made good knives, but my last two had uninspired grinds and poor finish. Pictures from other members here make me think it’s gotten even worse. I have sold all my Mizunos. Don’t hold their value well either. I also can’t recommend Hinoura - chunky grind.

I’ll second Toyama or Watanabe. If you look around a bit you can sometimes find a Fujiwara Denka in that price range, and I enjoy mine quite a bit. I’ve also been happy with Sukenari, although a quick glance around makes me think they’ve stopped making the aogami line.

Maybe this post should be moved to the Unpopular Opinions thread, but I'm not a fan of Blue 1 (at least in the versions I've tried). It's just too prone to chipping. I've always had to create a fairly large microbevels to avoid chips.

My guess is you got a bad one. At the reported hardness of something like Toyama ~65 hrc, blue 2 has pretty low toughness which is similar to blue 1 at the same. Mizuno blue 1 on their KS version is very good as an example. No chipping or anything. Could also be geometry of your particular knife, many new toyamas microchip originally since they have very thin edge from the maker.

In American English Swedes are called rutabagas. @volta87 don’t be afraid of using even the thinnest gyuto on hard vegetables. Bones are a different story but turnips and squash won’t damage these knives as long as you don’t twist the blade. And despite the snarky comment, like lots of vegetables they’re delicious if you cook them properly

https://www.wnyc.org/story/recipe-alice-waterss-rutabaga-and-parsnip-gratin/
I made some Neeps the other day. It was utterly delicious.

Back to knives. Pray to the kitchen gods and see if you can find a Takeda NAS
https://knifewear.com/cdn/shop/products/takeda-2-1_5000x.jpg?v=1578705932

Probably comes down to the smith like most other things. Have a TxK extra height that I’ve used at least a couple days a week for the past 6-7 months and haven’t had a single chip, and it’s thinnnnnn.

Have had a similar experience with other kyuzos, good steel that’s buttery to put a quick edge on around 3k

My guess is you got a bad one. At the reported hardness of something like Toyama ~65 hrc, blue 2 has pretty low toughness which is similar to blue 1 at the same. Mizuno blue 1 on their KS version is very good as an example. No chipping or anything. Could also be geometry of your particular knife, many new toyamas microchip originally since they have very thin edge from the maker.
Yeah at high hardness, I mean all the hitachi papers should be reasonably close in terms of toughness, besides maybe like aogami super and shiro 3 at the extreme? It's not like AEBL vs VG10 or something. I have chipped AS once, after I changed the angle a bit, never had a problem with it even though it's the least tough.

I’m going to vote against newer Mizunos. Around 2017 they made good knives, but my last two had uninspired grinds and poor finish. Pictures from other members here make me think it’s gotten even worse. I have sold all my Mizunos. Don’t hold their value well either. I also can’t recommend Hinoura - chunky grind.

I’ll second Toyama or Watanabe. If you look around a bit you can sometimes find a Fujiwara Denka in that price range, and I enjoy mine quite a bit. I’ve also been happy with Sukenari, although a quick glance around makes me think they’ve stopped making the aogami line.
Ahh, I have an older one

I'll suggest a Shindo. I've got a 210mm gyuto shipped to the UK for just about £100. Apparently tokushu will be getting a shipment of 240mm soon.

Very good HT, with a thin s grind. Cuts like a laser with the food release of a mid weight workhorse. No chipping issue, and sharpens extremely easily.

Last edited:
But most of those vegetables mentioned or shown there are fine. Romanesco is probably my favorite cabbage (can't eat it anymore but that's another matter). Brussel sprouts same story; they're great. Jerusalem artichokes, awesome, parsnips awesome.
For me though, rutabagas were really one of those few 'forgotten vegetables' that deserved to be forgotten...
I guess we just have different tastes. ;)

Latest posts

Back