Are You Loyal?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many stores do you buy your knives from?

• Seldom retailers, mainly purchase from one custom maker

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Given the threads we have here on “knife findings” and “deals, discounts, and sales” that encourage diverse purchasing, I’m curious to know if anyone is loyal to any one particular store or if you primarily buy from a single source. I realize the point of collecting is to branch out, but I wonder if there are any experiences so strong that would keep a person loyal to one shop. What keeps you going back to a store and what turns you away? Physical availability, knowledge of products, connections to manufacturers, range of product offerings, after purchase support? No shop naming in the comments to help protect the reputation of stores.

I am not affiliated with any knife retailers, distributors, or custom makers. I’m just curious about people’s preferences.

I have my preferred retailers and makers.

I also have some I'd avoid (whether it's service or ridiculous price *coug*eating tools*cough*).

And plenty in between.

I have purchased from a wide range of vendors and will continue to do so depending on the knife I'm after.

That said, I do have some I go to first when it makes sense.

1. Knife Japan
2. @TokushuKnife
3. Sugi Cutlery (@JoBone)
4. Carbon Knife Company

Then I start branching out. With so much diversity and inventory fluctuations it's hard to stick with just one or two vendors.

Now, I do have two I will not deal with but that is another story. :)

This is interesting but I wish I could have picked multiple options. I have purchased from a large chunk of retailers but honestly would prefer to give all of my retail business to Peter @moderncooking if possible. Secondly I purchase customs direct from the maker that I am interested in trying at the moment. Oh and its a good thing KKF doesnt have a store front because my wife may have divorced me if she knew how much has gone through here :)

This is interesting but I wish I could have picked multiple options. I have purchased from a large chunk of retailers but honestly would prefer to give all of my retail business to Peter @moderncooking if possible. Secondly I purchase customs direct from the maker that I am interested in trying at the moment. Oh and its a good thing KKF doesnt have a store front because my wife may have divorced me if she knew how much has gone through here :)
I thought about allowing 2 votes, but my hope to was corner people into choosing the majority they fit into. I will edit the poll to have a 4+ shops. Any other options I should include?

What about Modern Cooking do you like?

Anything that makes the preferred retailers stand out?
JKI and @JBroida and his contributions to the knife community in general AND exceptional customer service!

JNS has a pretty good selection of stuff that most other retailers don't carry. And the free aromatic scent with each purchase.

KnS has great customer service, good selection and some pretty good informative YouTube videos.

Ikkyu sometimes has some interesting things and customer service is good. Can also custom order some things through them.

Last but not least, Knife Japan. Great customer service. Good values to be had. Some custom orders available. And communication is fun (and good).

I have purchased from a wide range of vendors and will continue to do so depending on the knife I'm after.

That said, I do have some I go to first when it makes sense.

1. Knife Japan
2. @TokushuKnife
3. Sugi Cutlery (@JoBone)
4. Carbon Knife Company

Then I start branching out. With so much diversity and inventory fluctuations it's hard to stick with just one or two vendors.

Now, I do have two I will not deal with but that is another story. :)
Are those shops listed in order that you look? What about each of them do you like?

JKI and @JBroida and his contributions to the knife community in general AND exceptional customer service!

JNS has a pretty good selection of stuff that most other retailers don't carry. And the free aromatic scent with each purchase.

KnS has great customer service, good selection and some pretty good informative YouTube videos.

Ikkyu sometimes has some interesting things and customer service is good. Can also custom order some things through them.

Last but not least, Knife Japan. Great customer service. Good values to be had. Some custom orders available. And communication is fun (and good).
Thanks for the very complete list of reasoning. I see, and expected, that customer service is a highlight. Is it during the purchase or after the purchase that this makes the biggest difference for you?

Information for the community whether it be on YouTube or in-person like JKI seems to me like a bigger standout. What kind of activities speak to you the most?

I thought about allowing 2 votes, but my hope to was corner people into choosing the majority they fit into. I will edit the poll to have a 4+ shops. Any other options I should include?

What about Modern Cooking do you like?
It's a good survey, no real need to update it I was just thinking out loud :)

Modern Cooking has just been great to work with and has taken the time to form a personal relationship with me. They also have good pricing in my opinion.
I used to just buy based on best price and I have no issue with any dealer but I like being able to chat with the owner. I tend to buy custom knives the same way. If a maker takes the time to talk with me and form some sort a report I lean their way even if there may be a better maker. Its just the way I am, the relationships on this forum, makers, retailers is part of what makes me love this hobby so much.

If all things were in stock at all stores for a similar price, I would frequent some shops over others, mostly because I’ve actually been to those stores and spent hours talking knives with the owners. Alas, that usually isn’t the case and I’ll buy from whoever has what I am looking for in stock.

Thanks for the very complete list of reasoning. I see, and expected, that customer service is a highlight. Is it during the purchase or after the purchase that this makes the biggest difference for you?

Information for the community whether it be on YouTube or in-person like JKI seems to me like a bigger standout. What kind of activities speak to you the most?
Customer service during the whole process. You can communicate with them before ever purchasing. JKI is really good about making sure you get what you need, even if that's selling you something cheaper than what you originally were interested in.

The YouTube videos JKI has are a really valuable resource. His engagement with the community and willingness to talk in person, are what really stand out to me.

Customer service during the whole process. You can communicate with them before ever purchasing. JKI is really good about making sure you get what you need, even if that's selling you something cheaper than what you originally were interested in.

The YouTube videos JKI has are a really valuable resource. His engagement with the community and willingness to talk in person, are what really stand out to me.
Jon once talked me out of buying a stone because he didn’t think I needed it to accomplish what I was trying to do. Now THAT’s customer service. Can’t say that about you KKF filthy, disgusting, enablers!

Last edited:
Like others I have preferred retailers, and maybe one or two I avoid, but I follow the price and availability.

Preferred retailers are JKI, JNS, Knife Japan, Migoto and CKC for all the reasons already mentioned above. I like other stores too but haven’t purchased enough from them to say they are preferred.

Are those shops listed in order that you look? What about each of them do you like?

Listed in order although Tokushu and Sugi are pretty interchangeable in position.

1. Knife Japan: Bar none, the pinnacle of customer service. Michael (owner) is just an awesome guy and each time you communicate with him you feel like you're talking to a friend. He will help you understand things before a purchase, provides prompt and excellent info after the purchase, can help with potential custom orders and just answer questions you may have. I also really dig the style of most of the inventory on KJ. I like the more budget oriented offerings and the small, lesser known smiths. Shipping is also very fast and has always been hassle free for me.

NOTE: I would put New Zealand's With Knives owned by forum member @bsfsu up here too but being in the states, shipping is a killer.

2 and 3. @TokushuKnife and Sugi Cutlery (@JoBone) also have excellent service, are good people, and are active forum supporters. These guys are also very good about answering questions and helping you out and both offer, to some extent or another, custom handle options if you want them. @JoBone is renowned for his handle craftsmanship. And, as of the time of this writing, they both offer forum discounts (Tokushu = KKF15 and Sugi = KKF2024).

4. Carbon Knife Company: I've just always done well with them. Good selection, prompt service, and so on.

But again, I've done well with Bernal, Strata, SHARP, Epic Edge, even CKTG.

Last edited:
It's a good survey, no real need to update it I was just thinking out loud :)

Modern Cooking has just been great to work with and has taken the time to form a personal relationship with me. They also have good pricing in my opinion.
I used to just buy based on best price and I have no issue with any dealer but I like being able to chat with the owner. I tend to buy custom knives the same way. If a maker takes the time to talk with me and form some sort a report I lean their way even if there may be a better maker. It’s just the way I am, the relationships on this forum, makers, retailers is part of what makes me love this hobby so much.
I am the same about valuing relationship with the shop personnel. I had one experience in a shop where one employee yelled at another for “losing business” because they told me their re-handling service type would not be suitable for the handle I brought in. That was a turn-off for me. I can definitely see the flip side too for positive relationships.

About how long do you think the relationship with Modern Cooking took to develop? Does it bring you any benefits besides the satisfaction of knowing the shop knows you?

If all things were in stock at all stores for a similar price, I would frequent some shops over others, mostly because I’ve actually been to those stores and spent hours talking knives with the owners. Alas, that usually isn’t the case and I’ll buy from whoever has what I am looking for in stock.
Definitely true and this is partly what I’m getting at in my original question. In a world where all offerings are equal, what keeps us shopping at one specific place? Of course we don’t have an equal world and I don’t want to make that the hypothetical, so I opted for the current poll.

Listed in order although Tokushu and Sugi are pretty interchangeable in position.

1. Knife Japan: Bar none, the pinnacle of customer service. Michael (owner) is just an awesome guy and each time you communicate with him you feel like you're talking to a friend. He will help you understand things before a purchase, provides prompt and excellent info after the purchase, can help with potential custom orders and just answer questions you may have. I also really dig the style of most of the inventory on KJ. I like the more budget oriented offerings and the small, lesser known smiths. Shipping is also very fast and has always been hassle free for me.

NOTE: I would put New Zealand's With Knives owned by forum member @bsfsu up here too but being in the states, shipping is a killer.

2 and 3. @TokushuKnife and Sugi Cutlery (@JoBone) also have excellent service, are good people, and are active forum supporters. These guys are also very good about answering questions and helping you out and both offer, to some extent or another, custom handle options if you want them. @JoBone is renowned for his handle craftsmanship. And, as of the time of this writing, they both offer forum discounts (Tokushu = KKF15 and Sugi = KKF2024).

4. Carbon Knife Company: I've just always done well with them. Good selection, prompt service, and so on.

But again, I've done well with Bernal, Strata, SHARP, Epic Edge, even CKTG.
Excellent detailed response to share with everyone, digging it. Whenever someone can make you feel like a friend over text that’s a good sign.

I’d like to probe further if you’re ok with that. What specifically do you tend to ask Michael at Knife Japan? Are you curious about the potential performance of knives, the manufacturing process, or something else? Since small makers have little publicly known info, I can definitely see people wanting to know more about all of the above.

Excellent detailed response to share with everyone, digging it. Whenever someone can make you feel like a friend over text that’s a good sign.

I’d like to probe further if you’re ok with that. What specifically do you tend to ask Michael at Knife Japan? Are you curious about the potential performance of knives, the manufacturing process, or something else? Since small makers have little publicly known info, I can definitely see people wanting to know more about all of the above.
Ask Michael about the weather.

Michael sells standard inventory, but also will be a middleman on speccing customs with the makers he carries. Many of the knives are made to order so you can have the maker tweak things to your tastes or make a profile that may not be listed on the website. I've got 2 customs and 2 "production" knives. He's truly a delight to work with. Friendly, shares a bunch of semi-related information that I always find interesting like cultural/historical background, certain info bits about the makers, random festivals or weather events going on in Japan...seriously just shoot him an email with a knife question and you'll see what we're all talking about.

I have only had one dealing with Peter at ModernCooking but he was very responsive and helpful. He's on this forum and was active in the Birch&Bevel passaround thread, illuminating behind the scenes thought processes, upcoming items, and a discount to members if they liked the PA knife and wanted another. Plus he stocks a killer selection, and I'm looking forward to buying from MC again when I have the funds to do so.

Definitely true and this is partly what I’m getting at in my original question. In a world where all offerings are equal, what keeps us shopping at one specific place? Of course we don’t have an equal world and I don’t want to make that the hypothetical, so I opted for the current poll.

I reckon the trouble is, there's a lot of good folks out there in the knife world. Hard to pick favorites. :)

I am the same about valuing relationship with the shop personnel. I had one experience in a shop where one employee yelled at another for “losing business” because they told me their re-handling service type would not be suitable for the handle I brought in. That was a turn-off for me. I can definitely see the flip side too for positive relationships.

About how long do you think the relationship with Modern Cooking took to develop? Does it bring you any benefits besides the satisfaction of knowing the shop knows you?

@M1k3's response about the weather is accurate. I sent Michael a message the other day saying I hope he and his friends were okay after the earthquakes. I received a lengthy email back about how they were doing, how others were doing, the Japanese culture and a picture of a an Australian sea dragon, in honor of the Year of the Dragon and well wishes.

@SwampDonkey said it all very well. I'm honestly cautious in my engagements with Michael because I know he is not the type to just be able to give a quick response and I know he gets a ton of emails. But, any time I've wanted to get deeper, he's obliged. Just need to remember that he is dealing with small makers and there isn't always a lot of room for changes.

An example, this was included with my Okubo:

20231109_141206.jpg

Back