Back pain

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What’s your set up like when u sharpen your knives? I’m essentially in the “JNS” pose and it’s KILLING MY BACK.

Any advice? Has anyone felt their back starting to hurt and then changed something to where it doesn’t hurt as much?

E066486D-A80F-42CF-84B4-E0156FBB7820.jpeg

I have a primary sink bridge with a stone holder that goes on top of that, getting the stone a few inches higher than typical. Inches matter for this stuff and I feel you man.

Also I try and remember to put my feet wider than necessary and bend the knees a touch. Being posture conscious is important for me to be able to completely longer stone sessions.

I have no-BS lower back issues. Ruptured a couple discs a few years back and I need to mindful of things.

If I'm going to be going a while, I try to get things closer to sternum level. My cutting board is 2". On top of that I put my plastic stone storage tote that is about 6" tall:

irIdbeWl.jpg

I pull that towel out over the lips of the tote as an anti-slip medium and lay a flat baking sheet atop it:
I3HEtzjl.jpg

This setup helps my lower back, between my shoulders and neck.

EDIT: I should note that at the end of the sheet is a shelf that helps act as a stop. It doesn't slip much but a little so a silicone matt might be better for some applications.

I’m a train wreck when I sharpen. I end up hunched over and kinda twisted to whatever position depending on what I’m trying to do. Of course that’s never the intention but within minutes I default to so-close-I-can-taste-the-grit posture. So far I haven’t had much pain (I’m short, there’s not far to bend) although I can see it happening.

Kinda wanna try the seated korin style. Maybe if I have literal hours of work to do at once.

I'm pretty tall and have lower back issues, I've found that being up above my belly button makes a massive difference.
I have a bunch of random pieces of 6x6 or 2x4 I use in combination with sink bridges, stone holders etc. to adjust wherever I'm working.

Height should vary depending on the task. If you’re not applying much pressure (typical edge sharpening) then you’ll probably want the top of the stone to fall roughly at the height of your elbows or just below. Also bring the stone close enough to the edge of the counter so you’re not leaning forward. Then all you’re doing is standing upright with your arms bent naturally at the elbows and the knife resting on the top of the stone.

When you need to apply more pressure, e.g. thinning, you can try the above but just push harder with your fingers. In the event you really need to bear down then a lower surface helps.

I went through all this analysis years ago when I was into woodworking and building a workbench - one of my books went into the ergonomics. Guys who use handplanes use lower benches, and guys with power tools use higher benches. You see it in professional kitchens as well, with bakers having lower counters for kneading dough vs regular chefs who use higher counters. I also built my kitchen counters a little higher than standard to avoid back issues (my kitchen designer kept asking me if I was sure).

Oh and frequent breaks for sure - an ounce of prevention is worth about 1,000 pounds of cure when it comes to back problems.

Make your setup taller, sharpen while standing, keep your back straight, don’t tilt your head down, keep your stance symmetrical, keep your upper abs tight and your mid back (lower traps) active, and stay tall.

I'm 6'1"...and counter hight is something as a restaurant cook I've struggled with for years...

At home the standard counter hight is too low for chopping and way too low for sharpening...

I have a 2" wood cutting board and I place a towel covered brick on top of the board and then the stone holder on top of that...brings it up to ±2" above navel hight...I find it works well for me...try out different heights and find what works for you...there are a lot of good suggestions so far...

Take care
Jeff

Latest posts

Back