Bacteria on Raw fish for sushi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of tuna. My supplier called last night and said there is a worldwide shortage of #1 tuna right now.

Speaking of tuna. My supplier called last night and said there is a worldwide shortage of #1 tuna right now.

Not surprised Salty. Prices are expensive here in LA and when I've gone to the wholesalers, I usually see small loins now. Those small tuna aren't going to have the quality of a larger tuna.

Do you usually buy Yellowfin?

Nothing compared to what you find in Swordfish. Yeck.

I forgot about Swordfish. They have those white, mushy worms. I've heard they have super long worms, but the ones I've seen look like the ones I've seen in Pollack.

Thing is, I broke down 3 or 4 Pollack a few months ago, none were more than 3 pounds, and the largest, when I gutted it, had like 20 of those white, mushy worms at the end of its digestive tract.

Straight yuck. It still grosses me out.

One thing you can consider is that not all traditional sushi is 100% raw untreated...grab a piece of salmon that looks exceptional rub it with 2-1 sugar salt for 30 min...rinse in unseasoned rice vinegar for 15 min...freeze for 24 hours. You get a firmer fillet for nigiri and minimize the heath concerns.

yellow fin or big eye.I get farmed blue at certain times of the year.

Buy on special, as the fish was brought in special fresh for the sale.

Best piece of fish you never ate was the one you walked away from!

Pesky

maybe I'm not following but around here, when there's a special (at the grocery, not wholesale) it's because they have to much stock and their trying to move it before it goes bad.
which is NOT what I would want for sushi.

I wish I could get fish from the supplier that I used to work with at Embers, everything was brought it whole fish and super damn fresh. I was spoiled.

there's a place about 25 miles from me called "Dekalb farmer's market" except it's not like any farmers market I've ever seen.
they do have a really good supply of nicely fresh whole fish, I go there if I really want to make my own sushi.

mostly I go to my favorite sushi place, I made him a yanagi a couple years ago before I had any idea what yanagi was supposed to be.

one day I'll make him another, when I actually figure out how ;-)

maybe I'm not following but around here, when there's a special (at the grocery, not wholesale) it's because they have to much stock and their trying to move it before it goes bad.
which is NOT what I would want for sushi.

That's exactly what it is.

There are so many reasons NOT to use supermarket fish for sushi or sashimi.

That's exactly what it is.

There are so many reasons NOT to use supermarket fish for sushi or sashimi.

yep, it took me over 4 year's to get my wife started on sushi, I'm not going to jeopardize that by getting her food poisoning.

(i've been eating sushi since I was a little kid in LA)

Salty:

Check this out: http://www.intmarine.com/pricelist.htm

IMP is one of the largest suppliers of fish in LA (and also was one of the largest suppliers of tuna in the Bay Area when I was cutting and selling fish up there).

Maybe it's finally time for the ENTIRE WORLD to accept that tuna is a threatened, if not endangered species.

Maybe it's finally time for the ENTIRE WORLD to accept that tuna is a threatened, if not endangered species.

Not all tuna!

Yellowfin is usually what is sold frozen. I only pay to eat sushi at places that sell frozen tuna, because it's a sustainable fish. I was ashamed to be serving people Bluefin. They are a jewel of our planet, truly remarkable fish! Such a shame to eat them!

See the bottom of that link.

Just because it's frozen doesn't make Yellowfin Tuna sustainable. It's not. Sustainability is based on how much is taken from the ocean vs. how much the fishery can sustain. Even though Yellowfin may be, arguably, the least damaged tuna fishery among red tuna, that doesn't make it sustainable.

The only tuna fishery out here that I know of that's somewhat maintained its production is the Albacore fishery. And luckily for me, I'd MUCH rather have fresh Albacore than Yellowfin any day.

IMO there are many supermarket fish that are fine for sushi/sashimi. As always use your eyes and nose. Get whole fish and check for freshness. Striped bass...red snapper...greek sea bream...

In Canada we don't have this rule where salmon must be frozen for a certain amount of time. When I don't get salmon from our regular supplier there are plenty of other fish mongers I pick up salmon from, and all of them sell to the public so the public should have many places to buy from.

There are a lot of asian and japanese markets here that specifically sell sashimi grade fish cuts. Don't know if that actually means anything though.

How do you guys feel about fresh caught being cut up for sushi? I salmon fish a lot in the fall. I have often wondered about cutting sashemi from fish caught that day and eating it. Is this a no no due to parasites and such?

How do you guys feel about fresh caught being cut up for sushi? I salmon fish a lot in the fall. I have often wondered about cutting sashemi from fish caught that day and eating it. Is this a no no due to parasites and such?

I actually don't think that you have to worry that much.

Same problem. The parasites are in the flesh of the fish.

It will certainly be one of the freshest pieces of fish you could eat, although the flesh could be too soft if the fish hasn't gone into rigor mortis, or too hard if you try to eat it after it has just gone into rigor mortis. That's why many pieces of fish are actually "aged" to let the flesh relax before cutting and serving for sashimi/sushi. But, the threat of parasites is still there.

Parasites are not the result of handling, they're the result of where the fish has been, eaten, been exposed to. Bacteria are more of an issue of handling. But, freshness doesn't get rid of parasites; once they're in the flesh, they're in there.

I'll be going to the LA Downtown fish markets this weekend. If I can find a really fresh fish, i.e. one that's in rigor mortis, I'll cut it down to see if there are any parasites. If there are no visible parasites, I'll cure a piece in salt to see if any come out.

Back