Baking Steel for Pizza

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12 1/2" Lehmann New York Style Dough
Pizza
source Lehmann Calculator
INGREDIENTS

211 grams bread flour (100%)
133 grams water (63%)
¼ tsp IDY (.3%)
3/4 tsp sea salt (2%)
1 tsp olive oil (1.5%)
3/4 tsp sugar (1.75%)
DIRECTIONS

1) Add water, salt, and sugar to the mixing bowl and stir until solids are dissolved. Add olive oil.

2) Measure flour into a separate bowl, add yeast and stir until combined.

3) Add flour/yeast mixture to the liquid ingredients and mix on speed two until combined.

4) Allow dough to rest for 5 minutes.

5) Using dough hook, mix on speed 1 for 6 minutes.

6 ) Form into a tight ball, oil and place into a bowl which has been sprayed with Pam. Cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours, preferably 48. Allow to come to room temp. (~1 1/2 hours) before stretching.

Enjoy the journey!

Quick questions here before I get the next batch started:

1) Is it better to let that sit in bulk or can I separate it right away into smaller containers if I make enough for 3 or 4 pies?

2) I got some Caputo 00 flour, should I just go with the same hydration?

3) Is the sugar essential in this? I will stick with it for now, just wondering.

I guess we will see if the KitchedAid can handle 4x this recipe...

Thanks,

Stefan

Quick questions here before I get the next batch started:

1) Is it better to let that sit in bulk or can I separate it right away into smaller containers if I make enough for 3 or 4 pies?

2) I got some Caputo 00 flour, should I just go with the same hydration?

3) Is the sugar essential in this? I will stick with it for now, just wondering.

I guess we will see if the KitchedAid can handle 4x this recipe...

Thanks,

Stefan

1) I've doubled the recipe and formed two separate dough balls without any problems, so I don't see why not.

2) never used Caputo 00 but from what little I understand about it, it's a different critter from regular King Arthur or Better for Bread flours. Once again, I'm no authority, but it seems to be used for Neopolitan style pizzas that are baked at higher temperatures than most of us get in our home ovens. Much information on it at pizzamaking.com, probably more than you really want to know.:)

3) The sugar gives the yeast something to eat, which really isn't essential in pizza dough, but it also aids in browning. That's why I like to use a little.

Good luck, and please post some pics.

I am in London, but wanted one so badly that I paid the VAT and shipping (ugh - the thing is HEAVY) to have it shipped from the US. I've used it often enough that I think it's about paying for itself, considering what a good pizza would cost in these parts (if one can find it!).

So much to learn... This time I used Chifunda's dough. When I made it I thought it a little sticky, it was ok and workable after 24h but I may add a touch more flour the next time. Taste is great, so thanks! Stretching it was much easier this time after the dough had rested and risen 3h out of the fridge. This is still too exciting for me, though (shows you how boring my normal life is ;) ) - I had set up everything en place so I could work fast, still managed to forget the salt and the final spritz of olive oil. On the heated steel and directly under the broiler for about 4 1/2 minutes this time. It looked good but was a bit soggy in the middle - next time less tomato (Cento San Marzano with basil straight from the can, cut into chunks) and one minute longer in the oven which should also help the cheese to cook a little more. The basil leaves look kind of ugly, probably will oil them a bit next time. So many variables to juggle but a lot learned. I will keep the dough and the baking method constant for the next trials and vary the sauce and the baking time. In any case, it tasted great :)

Stefan

image.jpg

Looks mighty good to me, Stefan! What flour did you use?

You mention that the dough was a bit sticky...I always knead my dough by hand for a minute or so after it comes out of the mixer. Gives me a chance to work a little more flour into it if I feel it's needed. And if you can stand the wait, try letting your dough rise in the fridge for two full days. I find it has even better flavor and is easier to stretch.

One more suggestion, add you basil when the pie comes out of the oven. It wilts nicely and doesn't get dried out. Keep up the good work!:thumbsup:

Chifunda, There could have been lots of reason that your recipe didn't work for me. Probably my doing not the recipe but I'm going to go back to my modernist recipe using Caputo, micro encapsulated levener and bubbly wine. No yeast.

Stefan, looks nice, for a better presentation, next time, add the basil leaves to the pizza after it comes out of the oven.

Thanks for the tips. I made triple the recipe and have to sacrifice myself and eat more pizza today and tomorrow to see how the dough develops ;) This time I used King Arthur AP flour, will try Caputo 00 next, but I also read it might need higher temperatures. If not for pizza, I can use it for pasta. Available on Amazon, I did not find 00 flour locally. Forgot to measure the temp this time. But that can be a bit of an issue - heating the oven to 550F for over an hour in Hawaiian climate results in a pretty hot kitchen ;)

Stefan

cfuf4ztl.jpg

First decent looking pizza coming off of my baking steel.

Here are my dough ratios for anyone interested

320 g bread flour (king arthur)
220 g water
1 tsp olive oil
1.5 tsp active dry yeast
1 tsp salt
pinch of sugar (to get the yeast started)

Wake the yeast up and get them going in the 110 F water with a pinch of sugar for about 15 min, mix salt and flour together, dump everything together, mix and knead until elastic. Rest it for ~ 5 hours and then use it.

That looks great, James. Well, I had to eat pizza again tonight. But definitely a step forward:

- 2-day rested dough worked great
- cooked down the tomatoes and added s&p, a pinch of cayenne and a splash of balsamico, I really liked it but still used a bit much.
- baked for 6 minutes, perfect 'leoparding' in the bottom
- added basil right after taking it out.

Very likely the best-tasting basic pizza I ever made. Pushed it together a bit during loading, but overall I am happy with the progress on the taste side. Thanks again for all your tips! Will make a few more to get the basics down before I play with variations of tomatoes, cheeses etc.

Stefan

image.jpg

Good looking pie, James! What are the toppings?

Think I'll try your dough formulation for those days when my wife wants pizza TONIGHT. She loves our 48 hour crust but sometimes feels delayed gratification is highly over rated. I make your hydration out to be almost 69%; do you have any trouble handling the dough?

Looks delicious Stefan! The toppings are pepperoni, green peppers, broccoli and a little bit of basil; the basil was a bit of a waste since the pepperoni completely overpowered the flavor, but live and learn I guess. It definitely needs a bit of kneading to make it work due to initial stickiness. I do roll the dough in some flour before letting it rise and flour it again while stretching it out so that helps tremendously.

h47DUm.jpg

BhqqhM.jpg

DOTQzu.jpg

Cooked in less than 5 minutes. I really like my custom cut stones !

I made Chifunda's dough again, kneaded it a bit longer in the KA and a couple of minutes by hand and it looked and felt fantastic. I had bought these pyrex containers so that I could portion the dough before I stick it in the fridge. Well, I guess 4 cups was not enough.... The last time the dough had not risen that dramatically even out of the fridge. The picture shows the dough after 36h in the fridge. Guess I should have checked it earlier... Cutting off the dried dough that lifted the lids and then hope the dough will taste as great as it looks and proofs...

Stefan

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1422220370.966669.jpg

Poke pizza. I'll just mix poi under the dough for the next one, and if that tastes just as good, I'll open a store and become rich and famous ;)

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1422256423.281173.jpg

Stefan,

Those look great!

I'm patiently waiting for the model with the groove to come out, better be soon or these pic's are going to make me just go ahead and order the original:hungry:.

Stepping up the game: just received this beautiful baking board in 20"x28" and this 16" round board. Nothing can stop me now from baking pizza and other things ;) Thanks to David the Boardsmith for another great example of his work.

Stefan

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1422923255.735855.jpg

Ok. Now that I have a kitchen again, back to this. Any suggestions for dough recipes? Flours? I like the 'purity' of the Neapolitan pizzas but - for now - have to live with the basic 550F home oven. Not sure if that means I should rather look at the NY style doughs? Still in the early experimental stages, I guess... Picked up some KA all purpose flour but I have an Italian grocery a block away and could get alternatives there. Would it make sense to combine flours, e.g. AP with an Italian '00' flour? Planning on fermenting the dough in the fridge for a day or two; best baking results so far with the baking steel and the broiler added for the last 1-2 minutes if needed.

Let's get this going again...

Stefan

I use a simple recipe.

600g flour
Packet of yeast
Pinch of caster sugar
60ml oil
375ml of warm water
Pinch of salt

Combine water yeast and sugar, leave for 5 minutes.

Put flour salt in mixer bowl with dough hook and make a well. Then add yeast mixture and but on medium (i use 2 on my kitchenaid) for 8 to 10 minutes.

Then knead for a few min until nice and smooth. Put in an oiled bowl until doubled in size and bang.

Simple but effective.

I use a simple recipe.

600g flour
Packet of yeast
Pinch of caster sugar
60ml oil
375ml of warm water
Pinch of salt

Combine water yeast and sugar, leave for 5 minutes.

Put flour salt in mixer bowl with dough hook and make a well. Then add yeast mixture and but on medium (i use 2 on my kitchenaid) for 8 to 10 minutes.

Then knead for a few min until nice and smooth. Put in an oiled bowl until doubled in size and bang.

Simple but effective.

Let me try that next time.

Another reason to own a BGE or Komado. Get that thing ripping and you've got a clay, albeit smallish, pizza oven.

I used to use my BGE for pizza but I had a tendency to overshoot the target. I recently went to a steel shop and had them cut a piece of 1/4" plate to fit my oven - it was about $24 out the door.

I now have control over the heat. I heat it to 500 degrees for 60-90 minutes. I turn it to broil just after putting the pizza in and that seems to work out about right.

My dough recipe:

11.2 ounces of AP flour
1.5 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon olive oil
7 ounces warm water

Mix in stand mixer with dough hook for four minutes, let rest for 15 minutes then 2-4 minutes more in the mixer.

Let rest at room temp. for 30 minutes in a ziplock bag (inside coated with olive oil) then into the refrigerator for 24-48 hours. I take it out and let come up to room temp for about two hours before using.

Back