Be careful of ordering unique items from Epicurean Edge, buggy web site

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a lawyer, but I'm certain the big companies do. This situation happens ALL the time with big online retailers as well. There must be some clauses in there somewhere that won't let you sue or whatever.

I'm not a lawyer either but a lawsuit about something like this would be proof positive of how insane the american legal system is! (And how crazy the person was filing the suit was IMHO). IT's a customer service issue for crying out loud and that's the reason I started the thread...

I don't encourage or make excused for temper tantrums for 2yr olds... sure not gonna start making exceptions for adults.

That's the thing: I don't read it as a temper tantrum. Frustrated, yes, but not a tantrum.

Looking further into it, the problem seems to have been the knife was in my shopping cart overnight while I waited for a response from the vendor about the knife as soon as I got it, I placed the order. Their online inventory system apparently doesn't check status between first placement in cart and checkout.

Yeah, sounds like there could either be some business rule issues or they were not implemented properly on the site. Give EE a call or send them a note about it so that they can suss it out and maybe fix whatever the issue is so that it doesn't happen again.

Something good can still come of this :)

I have had this happen several times to me with vendors on Rakuten and it definitely sucks and it is disappointing, but in this age, it also happens. I agree with Jon, there is a cost associated with such systems and you have to think about how much product you need to sell to make it worth it. I would have a hard time justifying 15-30k.

Maybe EE could commission BB to make a replica for you if you ask them nicely?:angel2:

Unfortunately, as I mentioned to this customer by e-mail, strange things happen on websites ... especially websites that get lots of traffic. Our website is database driven and is automatically updated both on sales online and in store. Once in a great while (1-2 times per year) an item isn't marked correctly sold in the database. In this particular case, a customer ordered the item through our website approximately 2 hours before gic placed his order. Gic had apparently previously added the item to his cart and saved the cart. Even though the item was already marked sold on the site, because Gic placed his order through his saved cart, he was a able to complete his order. The site send the standard automated e-mail to thank him for his order. About 40 minutes after that, when processing his order, we noted that he had purchased an item that was no longer available and immediately e-mailed him.

While it is annoying to not get a knife that you want, I hope Gic will understand this wasn't a personal offense and try again.

As noted by another poster, the Burke's sell pretty quick. Since the item was marked sold on the site at the time of the purchase, I would encourage customers to check the site for availability (or call) when ordering unique items from a saved cart.

Sorry for the trouble!

-daniel

For Justin0505, I think my emails have been quite calm and I think my OP and subsequent posts are part of what these forums are for, There are numerous posts describing good and bad experiences with vendors in the forums here, no?

But, of course you are entitled to your opinion; we are both site supporters after all and thus must value the site......

Two final comments on this thread and then no more from me.

First, this is actually the first time I can remember of being told after an email was sent thanking me for my order and telling me its on m the way to be sent another email saying "gee you didn't buy it after all". (And yes I was annoyed and frustrated: If I had been told before the sales completed that "oops too late", I would have been annoyed with myself, not with them.)

Secondly, we don't know it was caused by a store purchase, that was a conjecture on the part of a subsequent poster that everyone assumed must have caused the problem. I wasn't told that, perhaps if I was told that I would have been more understanding. But, it almost certainly isn't what happened.

I just checked the times on the emails from them and it would have been very unlikely, although I suppose possible that it was a store purchase since: (a)I "bought" it at 12:09PM on a Sunday. There web site says they open at 12:00 on Sunday and he said in an email at 1:00PM it sold 2 hours before I ordered it.

Looking further into it, the problem seems to have been the knife was in my shopping cart overnight while I waited for a response from the vendor about the knife as soon as I got it, I placed the order. Their online inventory system apparently doesn't check status between first placement in cart and checkout.

We'd be happy to have Bill make a similar piece (Gic wouldn't even have to ask all that nicely!) ... though Bill's wait list is quite long, we can often get something faster since we have so many outstanding orders.

It was an amazing knife!

Any interest Gic?

-daniel

I have had this happen several times to me with vendors on Rakuten and it definitely sucks and it is disappointing, but in this age, it also happens. I agree with Jon, there is a cost associated with such systems and you have to think about how much product you need to sell to make it worth it. I would have a hard time justifying 15-30k.

Maybe EE could commission BB to make a replica for you if you ask them nicely?:angel2:

For what it's worth, I've had this happen on the Barnes and Noble website as well as Amazon ... In their cases, their inventory was off. They sent an apologetic e-mail.

-daniel

So in the end Daniel and I are exactly in agreement since, as my OP said exactly what he said here: "I would encourage customers to check the site for availability (or call) when ordering unique items"

I'll be taking his kind offer up in a PM to Daniel.

So it wasn't a bug, turns out it was a user error. lol

It kills me, when people complain about a situation, and then fail to acknowledge their own role, in it.

Kudos to Daniel O'Malley, for stepping up and taking care of the customer, even when the customer isn't right.

Jay

This sort of thing happens in real life as well. Last year at the blade show Koji Hara had a fantastic black lip mother of pearl folder on his table. Koji San and I are friends and I have been wanting one of his folders for a few years and had been to his table several times trying to make up my mind to buy. Finally I decided to pull the trigger and head over to pick up the knife. As I walked up to his table there was a young couple looking at his knives, just as I got to the table the couple handed Koji San my knife to purchase it. I swore under my breath but they heard me and ask what was the matter. After I explained they graciously offered to let me purchase this knife because there was another that they liked as well. I said they must have liked this one a bit better because it was the one they decided to buy and refused their kind offer.

On several other occasions I have had people come to my table and look at knives. After browsing for a while they decide that a certain knife is what they want but decide to "think about it" and walk away claiming they will be back. In most cases someone else will walk up and buy that same knife Within a few minutes of the first person leaving. When the first person returns they are usually very upset that I sold that knife when I knew they wanted it. I don't know what to do in these situations and have probably lost customers because of it. I don't want to come off as a used car salesman and tell them that it will probably sell to the next person that comes to my table. I know other makers who take a no refundable deposit to hold a knife for someone and that don't see right either but it does suck to hold a knife for a buyer and then have them not show up to buy the held knife when you could have sold it to another person.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Gic if you can work it out with Daniel ill be happy to make a similar piece in one of his upcoming orders. But it will still be awhile as I have let some of my other orders slip in getting ready for blade show.

Happy days

I would like to see the pics as well! Sounds like an awesome knife!

sorry i thought that the links were working. Here are the photos.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

all photos from blade gallery.

Both make amazing damascus, but yes, this is Bill's. If I'm not mistaken, this is his "Kramer Challenge" knife. I must admit, Bill...I'd choose this!

Both make amazing damascus, but yes, this is Bill's. If I'm not mistaken, this is his "Kramer Challenge" knife. I must admit, Bill...I'd choose this!

Correct Lefty and thanks.

Ya Bill, this looks slightly better than that Kramer (Joking, this looks a world better than that Kramer, to me that is) This one is a sure sexy wee beastie she is.

Hot damn!

Did I mention that I also tried to order that knife on EE last summer?
So, when you get a chance.... :)

Wow that's really a beauty!

Hey, now that you mention it, I'm also realllllllyyy upset about missing a chance to buy one of your knives one time when I decided to make a sandwich vs completing a transaction. Can I also move up the wait list? Had I know that all it took was a sad post, I'da started crying about it 2 years ago instead of quietly sitting on this list...

Back