Been a while since we had a Cleaver chat.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate that they are talking spine thickness again...
And this:
The Japanese knife lineup has now expanded to include options like the all-purpose santoku, which is often described as the Japanese equivalent to the Western-style chef’s knife.
Is it? Is it, really? Did no other shape come to mind when you were writing this sentence?

The whoever wrote this is pretty clueless or very amateur at best. They shouldn’t be advising anyone really. Can’t believe people paid them to write this.

It's advertising masquerading as an article. The top choice is there solely for the affiliate link. I'm actually surprised there is non affiliated knives even listed.

I know I’m broken when I read “tall” and scoff silently to myself.
I was looking at the Sugimoto #6 vs #1 and literally thought to myself "Bill would slander me for picking the lesser of two cleavers"

Based off my ever-growing gyuto size preference, I'm fairly certain it's a disease.

Just arrived from impulse yahoo auctions purchase. Cant wait to get it on the stones.

Anyone know what era this is from? Any advice on the restoration much appreciated.

IMG_5622.jpeg
IMG_5623.jpeg

Looks like old Sugimoto. My full tang Sugimoto in the middle is from like early 2000s, so yours maybe earlier.
1702324120149.jpeg

I’ve done a few cleaver fix ups on Sugimotos and similar cleavers. I recommend thinning and establishing good geometry and profile first, do all your work on the coarse stones on the lower part of the cleaver, the “bevel”. Then use sandpaper, rust erasers, silicon carbide powder or any abrasive you like really to clean up the upper part of the cleaver. The darker areas of rust might leave some pitting that you can’t get all the way out, but as long as you get rid off all the rust, you should be fine. Go up in grit until you’re satisfied with how it looks. Then polish the lower part of the cleaver you already thinned using your normal stone progression until you get everything nice and even and looking how you want. Then you can use high grit stone mud and Flitz or other polishing compound to blend everything together and really even out the finish. Then sand the handle and give it a layer of oil or two.

Will take a few hours at least, but it looks like the profile on yours is pretty intact and there’s a good amount of core steel showing so it shouldn’t be that thick behind the edge so establishing geometry and profile which usually takes me the longest shouldn’t be that bad.

I'm looking for a hard carbon cleaver with a Chinese round barrel style handle (like CCKs), relatively thin/light. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know sugimoto has a few with a similar shaped handle, wondering if there are any others out there.

I'm looking for a hard carbon cleaver with a Chinese round barrel style handle (like CCKs), relatively thin/light. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know sugimoto has a few with a similar shaped handle, wondering if there are any others out there.
Chopper king is thin/light, but the handle is thicker than CCK. Closer to the shibazi style.

The wok shop cleavers have handle similar to CCK, but the blade is much thicker and overall lower quality.

Other ones similar include the Leung Tim and Fook Kee brands. I havent used them so cant provide any input on the grinds.

Depending on the budget, maybe contact a UK maker about cloning the knife you like?

Just picked up another CCK, the 19XL (largest of the small stainless slicers). This one is 215x100mm, 1.6-7mm spine, 293g.

I really love the ergonomics of the round barrel handle. Love the convenience of having a few of these stainless slicers in rotation for quick low maintenance preps.

PXL_20231216_174603649.jpg

Chopper King seems to fit the bill here. I got a Small Slicer. Stainless clad V-toku-1 steel with the round handle which is comfy. Came out to 204x90 mm and 327 g, spine is 2 mm. For $80 it is one hell of a deal and I've been quite happy with the V-toku-1 edge retention and minimal reactivity. Came with a very mediocre factory edge but I lowered the edge angle when I first sharpened and I'm super happy with it. Good all-rounder size, slight curve to profile which I like.

1000028621.jpg

Edit: forgot to add that this one was marketed by CKTG as "blue 1" but fine print specified it was the V-toku-1 so other vendors may do the same. Regardless, I like it better than most shirogami. Seems to hold tooth a little longer/degrade more linearly. No microchipping with my acute angle and I'm harder on this knife than my gyutos. The Tostadas method of 800 Chosera straight to BBW has left me very pleased.

Last edited:
Edit: forgot to add that this one was marketed by CKTG as "blue 1" but fine print specified it was the V-toku-1 so other vendors may do the same. Regardless, I like it better than most shirogami. Seems to hold tooth a little longer/degrade more linearly. No microchipping with my acute angle and I'm harder on this knife than my gyutos. The Tostadas method of 800 Chosera straight to BBW has left me very pleased.

Does Chopper King still print the steel composition breakdown on the inside of the box lid? I have never seen a recent one in person.

Fell victim to you enablers again. Got an Amazon gift card from work and just...had to.

View attachment 288322
I've been very happy with the one I bought in Tokyo last month. It's where I should have started instead of the No. 7 I've been using for several years.

Last edited:
Back