Been a while since we had a Cleaver chat.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sugi #6 came in. Factory edge was quite good, passed paper towel test cleanly except for first few mm a little more tearing. 220x110 mm, 435 g. Not sure how I like the handle, my Chopper King barrel handle is significantly more comfortable but it's not bad. Grind is definitely more sophisticated than the CK

View attachment 290174
View attachment 290175
View attachment 290176
I love the sugi handles, one of my favorite handles. The barrel on the chopper kings are nice though. All about personal preferences.

Forgive me if I missed the distinction between a ‘Cleaver’ and what Wusthof terms a ‘Chinese Chef’s Knife?
Most of what I saw Posted would be termed Chinese ChefKnives,
i.e thin blades made for cutting or chopping soft products such at meat, fish or vegetables.
Cleavers to my mind are used for bone cutting and other hard food.
Chinese Chef Knives are thinner than Cleavers and the edge is not as robust as on a Cleaver.
While many Chinese Chef Knives will do a good job on fish and chicken bones, it’s the large animal bones and carcasses where a Cleaver is of use.
Indeed, the Wusthof Chinese Chef Knife says right on the blade, “Do Not Use On Bones’!
Pictured is my large Takeda along with a Wusthof Chinese Chef Knives.
The Takeda is for my use only as one slip and you will have a serious cut.
The knife pictured is a 13” Wusthof ‘Bone-Splitter’, the front edge is for cutting and the rear edge for splitting, indeed a formidable weapon if called upon!
I didn’t break out my Wusthof Cleavers but present a typical picture.
These certainly will cut but the blade is thick enough to cut/split bone, any bone.
I usually use a Chinese Chef Knife when I want long thin cuts of meat for Chinese/Asian recipes.
I partially freeze the meat so it holds up to thin slicing.
The Takeda works best but the Wusthof is more accessible in the 24 knife rack I have on the counter.
IMG_6457.jpeg
IMG_6180.jpeg

Last edited:
Forgive me if I missed the distinction between a ‘Cleaver’ and what Wusthof terms a ‘Chinese Chef’s Knife?
i.e thin blades made for cutting or chopping soft products such at meat, fish or vegetables.
Chinese Chef Knives are thinner than Cleavers and the edge is not as robust as on a Cleaver.
While many Chinese Chef Knives will do a good job on fish and chicken bones, it’s the large animal bones and carcasses where a Cleaver is of use.
Indeed, the Wusthof Chinese Chef Knife says right on the blade, “Do Not Use On Bones’!
The knife pictured is a 13” Wusthof ‘Bone-Splitter’, the front edge is for cutting and the rear edge for splitting, indeed a formidable weapon if called upon!
These certainly will cut but the blade is thick enough to cut/split bone, any bone.
I usually use a Chinese Chef Knife when I want long thin cuts of meat for Chinese/Asian recipes.
The Takeda works best but the Wusthof is more accessible in the 24 knife rack I have on the counter.View attachment 292453View attachment 292454

Chinese chefs knives run the whole gamut from very thin to very thick. They aren't just one thing. And it's often difficult to tell whether it's a bone crusher or a veggie slicer without holding it in your hand. So most folks just call anything cleaver shaped that's too big to be a nakiri a cleaver.

The Takeda works best but the Wusthof is more accessible in the 24 knife rack I have on the counter.View attachment 292453View attachment 292454
A Chinese Chefs knife is a cleaver. A cleaver is a broad term. Not all cleavers are Chinese chefs knifes. There are many different types of cleavers.

Sweet!

I like they don't try to change the name of the knife, unlike some Austrian makers.

🧐 @KAMON Knives

You feeling alright?

You sure about that?

You didn't call out @Isasmedjan on a Serbian cleaver post so I think we should be doing a health check.

You feeling alright?

You sure about that?

You didn't call out @Isasmedjan on a Serbian cleaver post so I think we should be doing a health check.
If @Isasmedjan makes a Serbian Cleaver, but calls it something like "a big version of a woman's Japanese kitchen knife" then I will.

Interesting to see the CCK large slice grind is more like Japanese Chuka Oval than straight V grind like many other modern cleaver

Was actually a 1303, but yep - it had a very pronounced 's-grind' to it, far more so than any other caidao I've ever seen.

Here it is earlier this evening before I started:

IMG_2656.jpg

IMG_2657.jpg

Reminds me of a full belly hollow straight razor grind.

View attachment 295974

Absolutely. Clever spot!

I'll write a proper post about this mod in the next couple of days, but I was actually going to mention exactly that. Because on the CCK it's serving the same purpose as the belly on a full hollow razor, and not realising that initially caused me some headaches with the re-profiling / re-grinding.

Lila Nordanskog (Hampus) reached out to me this morning to let me know he has a cleaver available for purchase if anyone is interested.
when he forges a knife he always makes 2 incase something goes wrong with one of them. He said normally the second never gets finished but because my cleaver from him when missing he started working on the second one he made. Once mine showed up, he was left with an almost finished cleaver. I told him I would let the forum know. If anyone is interested, send him a message on Instagram and he should be able to ship it out pretty quickly. I think I have a picture he sent me a few weeks ago I will post in a moment.

Back