Beer, beer, beer!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just found out that Stone is opening a beer hall within walking distance of my house. They do great food and growers to go.

Pesky

I love North Coast, Stone, and Victory. Magic Hat and Dogfish Head always taste weird to me.

I am lucky enough to live within 20 minutes of Three Floyds Brewery, which is easily my favorite. My buddy recently went to Dark Lord day and I was able to score a bottle from him.

You lucky dog!

I haven't yet had the please, 'tis no easy thing to aquire, particularly on the left coast. It's tops on my "beers to try" list though, up there with Kate the Great.

You gonna cellar it for a while? I don't think I'd have the patience! :beer:

You lucky dog!

I haven't yet had the please, 'tis no easy thing to aquire, particularly on the left coast. It's tops on my "beers to try" list though, up there with Kate the Great.

You gonna cellar it for a while? I don't think I'd have the patience! :beer:

I finished it that night! The flavor was very rich and when I poured it the first thing that came to mind was motor oil. I was very much pleased with the flavor profile, which seemed to change as the beer slowly came to room temperature as a drank it.

I used to homebrew & now I am lazy, I alternate Yuengling & Hoegaarden as house beer, I'm spending alot of time bbqing meat. I have a local picnic coming up this weekend (wish I was going to the ECG) & I'll do chicken thghs, spare ribs & (horrors) leftover frozen pulled pork. Eventually, I'd like to get back into homebrewing....

Nothing wrong with frozen pulled pork! It is one of those things that are very forgiving.

thanks, it is still going to be great, I hope (extra NC vinegar sauce), I cooked a ton of meat for my son's lacrosse team dinner-3 butts, 4 racks (2 spare, 2 bb-all eaten in 15 min.) & a huge brisket-I used the leftover rib tips (from the spares) to make a broth the other day. All the kids liked it, but if you can't cook to make teenage boys happy, you're SOluck-this picnic is a slightly more discriminating audience, but everyone loves good food-I'm also cooking poundcake, blk bean/tom/corn/salad, & spiced shrimp...

What the Firken?

I wish I could be there for that, sounds awesome!
Knock back a few for me. :beer:

It was a good time, albeit a drunken one. I had pics and a list of the beers I had that day w/ratings for them on my phone but deleted somehow (I'll blame the 5-12% alc content of the beer :laugh:). Place was packed with people spilling out onto the street, which was a good spot since they were grillin brats n sausages out there. Best beer of day was Dogfish 75 (60 and 90 min blend w/maple syrup) stuff went down so easy.

There will be 3 next year I think (every Fri the 13th) so stop out for one.

We have a few good winery's up here, but a good brewery is hard to come by. We have the Oberon brewery about 45 min west of us...that is pretty much it. As far as beer i like:
Warsteiner Dark. Good full german beer.
Spaten Optimater. Thick, dark and heady. Stout stuff...not for the faint of heart lol.
Kirin is a good japanese beer.
House beers are usually Leinenkeugel Sunset Wheat and also Summer Shandy. Plus Blue Moon makes frequent visits. Wife usually drinks Reisling's, with Mascato D'Asti topping her list. Depends on the meal i guess.

We have a few good winery's up here, but a good brewery is hard to come by. We have the Oberon brewery about 45 min west of us...that is pretty much it.

There's actually a bunch of GREAT breweries in Michigan, including one of my absolute favorites, Jolly Pumpkin in Ann Arbor. Amazing stuff. Also check out Michigan Brewing in Webberville, and Dark Horse in Marshall. If you like dark beers, I bet you'd like their Boffo Brown Ale. Jolly Pumpkin's "Madrugada Obscura" and "Bam Noire" are both also in the same vein, and obscenely good.

There's actually a bunch of GREAT breweries in Michigan, including one of my absolute favorites, Jolly Pumpkin in Ann Arbor. Amazing stuff. Also check out Michigan Brewing in Webberville, and Dark Horse in Marshall. If you like dark beers, I bet you'd like their Boffo Brown Ale. Jolly Pumpkin's "Madrugada Obscura" and "Bam Noire" are both also in the same vein, and obscenely good.

Wow, that's a buncha good advice right there. Jolly Pumpkin is about as well regarded as they come.

Yep, the Maple Nut Brown is definitely awesome. It's not possible to get their beers here in NYC, though we CAN get their orange cream soda, which is pretty good!

+1 on the Spaten Optimator. Spaten is good across their entire line IMO.
Duvel
Leffe Blonde
Chimay Bleu
Pacifico
Shiner
Most of what comes out of the tap in any German pub.
Unfortunately, Leinenkugel only sends their girlie beers to Florida. No Leinie Red to be found at any price.
The local beer in Gembloux, Belgium. It is made by the local agricultural university which has a brewing program and they serve it at special events like the Gembloux knife show. Belgians, Brits, Germans and Dutchmen alike all say that this stuff is top drawer. The locals used to pay the 5 Euro entrance fee to the knife show just for the chance to drink the stuff. Apparently, they just started making enough of it recently to provide it to a few of the local restaurants and hotels in town. Prior to that, from what I was told, there had to be some special event for it to make its way off campus.

Been drinking Lagunitas little Sumpin Sumpin Ale. Tastes good when its hot out.

******* - thanks for reviving this thread :beer:

and Stefan for starting it :Beersausage:

going to the store today :running:

Uncommon Brewers "Siamese Twin Ale", a Belgian double with lemon grass and kaffir lime. A memorable beer that I will probably never see again, mores the pity!

+1 on the Spaten Optimator. Spaten is good across their entire line IMO.
This is very true. I remember liking the Optimator in particular, so I went out and picked up a six and I have to say it's even better than I recall.

I'm also very glad that Stone finally has distribution in Missouri. I've always liked them, but I had the Ruination IPA again for the first time in a few years and I must say, that is one heckuva beer!

I had forgotten about this thread. I am absolutely going to all of these places...they are all within 45 minutes drive from me...Should be able to get it local. I had not heard of these places and now i am excited! Time for a mini fridge for the shop lol
Thanks
Mike

I just had this wonderful Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale with my pot roast dinner tonight. She was absolutely fantastic, it looks like a heavy stout but it ends up being a very light and clean flavored multi-dimensional beer.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ok i must say though...Kid Rock's Badass beer just...yeah....No.

Has anyone else ever heard of the complaint by some, particularly Europeans, that many American super-premium microbrews are way too hoppy? The theory being that hops were originally a preservative and have become an overused flavoring agent.

Latest posts

Back