Best semi-integrals in the game

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blumbo

just a normal dude
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve tried classic wa handles and full integral bolsters before, but have never held or used a semi-integral knife. Who in your mind does the best semi-integral bolsters whether it’s for cosmetic, functional, or ergonomic reasons?

I really like my Joel Black - it’s rustic but feels great.

Simon Maillet did a cool one recently but wasn’t keen when I requested it as a custom order - apparently they are not fun to make.

I love my the 9 semi

And my new Joel is almost ready
B59FEB72-26DB-44BA-80CE-2EB29924D16F.jpeg

Hi there,
Did one recently that I posted on the forum a few weeks ago, in case you wanna have a look at it.
As you say, it's not always fun to do those things (even worst with the damascus I'd say as you have to handle the pattern reveal versus the fitting) but well, sometimes they turn out great ;)

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/should-i-call-this-a-quarter-integral-bolster.70491

For your viewing pleasure ;)

This is really pretty and precise looking work! I can't begin to imagine how much time and effort went into it. My one concern is where the most comfortable spot to pinch it would be since the neck is a little longer.

Not trying to divert the thread too much, but the variance between handle material and tang would be the indicator of a semi-integral?
I guess I was assuming a true integral had to be full tang and anything that wasn't full tang, was semi

In my mind, I feel like integral refers to the bolster, where tang is something separate

-Integral:
Full: - metal is flush with wood
Semi: - metal is not flush with wood and has an heirloom-like fit
None: - metal is continuous with tang at similar thickness

-Tang:
Full: visible from top and bottom, usually with rivets
Hidden: not visible as metal is within handle

I assume you could have any combination of integration and tang type, but typically we see full integral with full tang, full integral with hidden tang, and no integral with hidden tang and semis are typically hidden as well

Is there any advantage/disadvantage with integrated/semi?
For me it’s all about feel. Biggest advantage is the comfort in a pinch grip. I find the spine of thin knives digs in to my finger in a pinch grip after a while of use. A semi integral make it suuuper comfortable and much more robust in your hand. It just feels more ergonomic and comfortable I guess is what I’m trying to say.

I didn’t know he was out of it, is he ok? Or just busy with other things?
He’s had to move about a little bit and is currently working on a house build. He’s temporarily stopped production until he’s got a long term workshop site up and running.

Probably unpopular. But semi and full integrals are not good, I like a slight forward weight. The semi’s create a dead spot for me because of my tendency to have distal taper as well. They are also more expensive. 4-5mm seems to be my sweet spot out the handle. Standard wa has withstood the test of time with me. I love the drop down from handle to blade as it provides me with a good pinch.

I’d probably just get one super nice one and leave it at that. Like that Oosik handle one from HF. He makes some very clean ones. But then again, there are a ton of beautiful integrals out there

Not trying to divert the thread too much, but the variance between handle material and tang would be the indicator of a semi-integral?
I guess I was assuming a true integral had to be full tang and anything that wasn't full tang, was semi
Integral refers to integral bolster. i.e. the bolster is integrated into the steel and is the transition between the blade and the rest of the handle material.

Curious if anyone has tried Fellipi’s semi integrals or knives in general - have been curious about getting a custom.

IMG_1785.jpeg

A spine shot from his insta that scratches an itch.

Back