Big Green Egg

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well congratuations.. sorry to hear you broke the dmft. you do not have to remove it when you open the dome. if it is loose get a piece of gasket material from your dealer and put it on the inside of the dmft . do go to greeneggers.com and look around you can ask all your questions. there. if you look at the posts from the sunshine fest i am the one with the red white and blue doo rag. as far as charcoal.. i prefer humpreys , careful with royal oak they have several types and the ones from southamerica suck [imho] make sure to read the fine print on the side for country of origin and for all things egg including reviews of every lump on the market go here http://www.nakedwhiz.com/dogfront.htm and read everything and familiarize yourself with the site. great recipes, instuctions for just about everything related to your bge and answers to all the common questions.
always place the rivet that holds the daisy wheel toward the front of the egg so when you open the dome it does not change position .
feel free to email if you need help

Those who want to read more on that process may want to grab a copy of "On Food and Cooking" by Harold McGee.

I would be one of those. I ordered the book, and I look forward to reading it. Maybe I've been missing out on something all along.

"That takes 20+ hours for me and Pork, at least to my taste gets overly soft."

I'm confused. Does this mean you do not care for it when its cooked this long?

BullDog,
I doubt you've been missing any thing but the science behind cooking can be very interesting. I really do consider Harold McGee a must have book for any one really interested in food/cooking.
I myself do not care for pork if I run a full 20 hours+ and bring it back up to 195+ after the conversion process. Others may disagree. I would say the very same thing about a 12 hour slow burn. That's not quite long enough for me but BBQ is a very regional thing and subject to each persons taste. In many areas 12 hours would be just dandy because chopping the pig is considered the norm. For true pulled pig I find I need 18 hours or to remove most variables I need to come back up to 185 after the conversion process.
I want to be able to easily be able to pull the pork by hand but I still want to have some tooth.
I hope that helps. It's just starting to get nice here so my first slow cook of the season will be in the next week or so. I grabbed a nice packer brisket the other day.
Lowercase bill did you have a link to the thread with the photos?

Dave

After the internal temp hits 180 or so the conversion process begins and then the temp will drop back down to roughly 165. If you pull at 185 on the first temp spike you miss the conversion process. The flip side of that is letting the internal temp go all the way back up to 195+ after the conversion process is complete. The whole process of converting collagen to gelatin is the same principal behind slow cooking prime rib in an Alto Sham. Those who want to read more on that process may want to grab a copy of "On Food and Cooking" by Harold McGee.

Interesting. When I started cooking barbecue, I did multiple controlled tests for pork shoulders in a temperature verified (by separate thermometer) oven (mine is a DCS) at various temperatures, checked at 15 to 30 minute intervals (or more often) and NEVER saw a drop in temperature of anything close to 15 degrees. In fact, although the temperature did stall between 160 and 170 for, IIRC as I don't have my spreadsheet in front of me, for a few hours, the temperature was linear - there was no drop in temperature. The temperature did stall, but never dropped. In fact, I don't understand how something could drop temperature that significantly, even when collagen is converting into gelatin. Stall, I can understand. Drop 15 degrees? That does not make sense to me. And IIRC, even McGee notes that the temperature will stall, but not drop.

I monitor the internal temperature of my pork butts throughout the smoking process and have never observed a drop in temperature...that maddening stall, yes. But never a drop. Interesting article on the stall phenomenon and what causes it at http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/the_stall.html

By the way, if you don't have one of these maverick_ET-732.jpg I urge you to consider one. Maverick ET-732 Wireless Thermometer allows you to monitor both the temperature of your grill and the internal temp of whatever you're cooking and do it from a remote location. I can be anywhere in the house or in my shop and know exactly what's going on inside my smoker.

Yeah, I have never, ever seen a drop in temp. I try not to overthink BBQ too much; it's not fine dining, it's a way to turn fatty, cheap cuts of meat into something incredible. I monitor internal temp to get a basic idea of how far along the cook is, but when the bone in the butt starts to come out with a slight tug then I take it out of the pit. On my Egg this usually only takes 1 hour per pound. I've never needed these 16+ hour cooks, or even a 12 hour cook. I keep it steady at 250* and it always pulls easily while still remaining "toothy" with good chunks of meat, not shredded to oblivion and back.

I monitor the internal temperature of my pork butts throughout the smoking process and have never observed a drop in temperature...that maddening stall, yes. But never a drop. Interesting article on the stall phenomenon and what causes it at http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/the_stall.html

I believe the author in your link noted that he has observed a temperature drop as well.

IIRC, even McGee notes that the temperature will stall, but not drop.

If some has a page number from "On Food and Cooking" where McGee says the temperature will stall but never drop I'd appreciate it if you could post that information. I just took a quick peek and don't see that but if he wrote it I'd like to see the context. In either event I get a temperature drop after hitting the plateau.
Now understand I'm just trying to illustrate why a noob should get a Polder thermometer and help get some one started out. I didn't expect any one to get so literal as to think I would have a precise 15 degree drop on each cook. The main point here being to have a record of time/temp where your stall or drop took place in the cooking process Vs popping open the lid every 15 minutes for X hours.... or worse yet just missing it altogether. There is certainly a group that likes to cook fast and while I see nothing wrong with that I see no gain either. I'm sure we can can all do 12 hour cooks on just about any grill by cooking hotter. The whole idea is to cook low and slow to extend the conversion process. Not to make it go faster....at least that's my take but as they say YMMV and it couldn't possibly be more true with some thing as subjective as BBQ.

I believe the author in your link noted that he has observed a temperature drop as well.

If some has a page number from "On Food and Cooking" where McGee says the temperature will stall but never drop I'd appreciate it if you could post that information. I just took a quick peek and don't see that but if he wrote it I'd like to see the context. In either event I get a temperature drop after hitting the plateau.
Now understand I'm just trying to illustrate why a noob should get a Polder thermometer and help get some one started out. I didn't expect any one to get so literal as to think I would have a precise 15 degree drop on each cook. The main point here being to have a record of time/temp where your stall or drop took place in the cooking process Vs popping open the lid every 15 minutes for X hours.... or worse yet just missing it altogether. There is certainly a group that likes to cook fast and while I see nothing wrong with that I see no gain either. I'm sure we can can all do 12 hour cooks on just about any grill by cooking hotter. The whole idea is to cook low and slow to extend the conversion process. Not to make it go faster....at least that's my take but as they say YMMV and it couldn't possibly be more true with some thing as subjective as BBQ.

Pg.354 on my iBook version for the process. Didn't see anything about the stall, but it's a big book. Does say the cook is responsible for keeping temp appropriate.Looks like meat at 160F for the magic.

Don't have a BGE, but I put my pork butt on the smoker at around 210-215 degrees for about 8 hours, then transfer it to a covered roasting pan in a 200 degree oven for another 24 hours plus or minus a couple of hours--it's pretty forgiving. After 8 hours or so you've got plenty of smoke flavor. Long cooking time makes it tender and suculent, and you don't have to worry about feeding the smoker overnight. RO charcoal and soaked hickory chunks during the smoking phase. A good rub applied 24 hours before cooking makes a big difference.

+1 to adding the dry rub in advance. I actually prefer putting a light amount of rub over 24 hours in advance - 48 hours if you can. The rub acts like a dry brine if it has salt.

I like and recommend Chris Schlesinger's All-South Barbecue rub from The Thrill of the Grill. Best I've found for both butts and ribs.

Pg.354 on my iBook version for the process. Didn't see anything about the stall, but it's a big book.

Not seeing any thing about the stall here either. Page 157 for BBQ and page 150 and 597-98 for Collagen. No mention of stall temp or temp not dropping off. One thing I should mention is I always do Berkshire butts so there is far more fat than what I see on typical grocery store butts.
I'm not a big fan of buying rubs but Dizzy Pig is good stuff. GFS has some very good rubs at a fair price for those who don't blend their own.

Dave

Mr. Duckfat

I do not have any experience with an egg, but have noticed the "drop off" depending on where I pack the meat in the smoker. I believe that if you place the meat in an area with significant airflo you get a convection effect that causes an initial pronounced spike, especially in the initial bringing up to temp. I wonder if the thermodynamics of the egg does not have a similar effect? btw, I am one of those that does not like to flash to 195 at the end-I think the high heat breaks down the collagen homeostasis you just spent 10+ hours developing. 165-170 and I will deliver to the judges. I kept my mouth shut regarding a '2-4 hour smoke' vis-a'-vis the collagen-gelatin issue not wanting to offend anyone. I also don't usually pass 12-14 hours unless I am doing a whole pig, and frankly will only do a whole one if requested, much easier to manage if split. The biggest concern i have with the egg is internal humidity affecting juiciness, but everyone tells me it is a non-issue.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

Yes, the egg holds moisture very well. You have to really work to dry something out.

Brisket is a lot tougher to get right than a pork shoulder...I mean A LOT tougher! I like a brisket without a rub, just sea salt and fresh cracked pepper a day before. I've stopped messing around with the briskets I was buying from Rest. Depot and now when I smoke brisket I buy it from my local butcher, for some reason the briskets aren't so hit and miss.

-Pesky

Changed my first slow cook plan from pulled pork to brisket. Any good rubs out there you suggest (home made)?

PS Thanks Matt for sending me some of your home made rubs, can't wait to try them!

Jason

Jason:

If I may, I would also recommend trying different woods. In my opinion, rubs are more important for smaller pieces of meat where you have a greater ratio of surface to meat, than large pieces of meat such as pork butts. However, for nearly all things you smoke or bbq, the wood will also provide a distinct flavor. What you're looking for flavor wise may simply be a matter of using a different wood.

For a somewhat neutral yet pure smoke flavor, I personally use oak (I almost esclusively use oak for beef). For a more traditional barbecue flavor, I use some hickory. However, for chicken and pork, I absolutely love peach wood. It's hard to come by depending on where you live, but it imparts a wonderful sweet, smoky, complex flavor.

Brisket is a lot tougher to get right than a pork shoulder...I mean A LOT tougher! I like a brisket without a rub, just sea salt and fresh cracked pepper a day before. I've stopped messing around with the briskets I was buying from Rest. Depot and now when I smoke brisket I buy it from my local butcher, for some reason the briskets aren't so hit and miss.

-Pesky

Agreed. Pulled pork is MUCH more forgiving, brisket can be frustrating on your first couple cooks. But I'm not discouraging you from doing a brisket, so please go ahead if that's what you want to do. I also agree with Pesky in that I only season my briskets with salt and pepper. To me it's all about the simplicity of the meat and the smoke flavor, so I don't like to mess with it too much these days. I do trim the fat cap closer to the meat because I don't believe that smoke penetrates the fat, plus most of it does not render so you end up with a mushy fatty exterior that you slice off before serving so there goes your seasonings. The internal fat content of the brisket will keep it moist.

Good luck!

Jason:

If I may, I would also recommend trying different woods. In my opinion, rubs are more important for smaller pieces of meat where you have a greater ratio of surface to meat, than large pieces of meat such as pork butts. However, for nearly all things you smoke or bbq, the wood will also provide a distinct flavor. What you're looking for flavor wise may simply be a matter of using a different wood.

For a somewhat neutral yet pure smoke flavor, I personally use oak (I almost esclusively use oak for beef). For a more traditional barbecue flavor, I use some hickory. However, for chicken and pork, I absolutely love peach wood. It's hard to come by depending on where you live, but it imparts a wonderful sweet, smoky, complex flavor.

For meats where I want to add a little sweetness, I like to add some applewood or pear wood to whatever wood I am using (oak or hickory). I generally use it with pork and sometimes chicken. It all depends on how much trimming my dad does on his trees though.

For meats where I want to add a little sweetness, I like to add some applewood or pear wood to whatever wood I am using (oak or hickory). I generally use it with pork and sometimes chicken. It all depends on how much trimming my dad does on his trees though.

I'm all about fruitwood for pork, bird or "delicate" meats like salmon but with beef its it's a mix of Hickory and White Oak over Mesquite.

I find brisket to be far less forgiving as well. I had a heckuva time finding packers last year but I have one ready to roll. I sure with I would have known it was going to be 85 today!
I use hickory for brisket. Any one use Pecan? I don't trim all the fat off the cap and I cook fat side down.

Dave

FYSA I have been smoking meat for years, just my first time on the egg. I've also had mixed luck on brisket, it's been amazing at times and used for stew meat at others. What I am really looking forward to is the consistant low temperatures needed for great brisket. It was hard to do that in my thinner layered smokers of the past. Temp kept going up and down too much and the ambient temperature is important of course...Jason

FYSA I have been smoking meat for years, just my first time on the egg. I've also had mixed luck on brisket, it's been amazing at times and used for stew meat at others. What I am really looking forward to is the consistant low temperatures needed for great brisket. It was hard to do that in my thinner layered smokers of the past. Temp kept going up and down too much and the ambient temperature is important of course...Jason

I'm actually buying Prime brisket from my butcher and that really has made all the difference. I too trim away most of the fat cap, because I have found that is enough inter-muscular fat with the Primes.

I find brisket to be far less forgiving as well. I had a heckuva time finding packers last year but I have one ready to roll. I sure with I would have known it was going to be 85 today!
I use hickory for brisket. Any one use Pecan? I don't trim all the fat off the cap and I cook fat side down.

Dave

If I recall correctly from All Star Barbecue Showdown, Dr. BBQ uses some Pecan when smoking brisket.

FYI - Many publications are projecting higher beef prices this year because of the drought in Texas this past summer. A lot of cattle were slaughtered due to the lack of feed and water, resulting in smaller herds this year and higher prices.

I'm actually buying Prime brisket from my butcher and that really has made all the difference. I too trim away most of the fat cap, because I have found that is enough inter-muscular fat with the Primes.

How much does prime brisket cost you a lb?

$4.49 for prime seems like a very good price. Run of the mill choice packers are pushing $3 here. The only on line source I found in the past for prime briskets was American Kobe.
IIR that was a good bit more than $4.49.

Dave

Back