Birch & Bevel 230mm Carbon Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since buying this knife myself I’ve gotten a few questions about how I like it & I’ve seen a handful of threads pop up about it. Since this community has been awesome to me, this is my attempt to give back a bit & let people try this fantastic knife.

Birch and bevel 230mm Carbon Gyuto
Specs -
https://moderncooking.com/en-us/collections/birch-and-bevel/products/birch-and-bevel-carbon-gyuto
Blade is by Fredrik Spare & handle is by @martinhuber

The knife has been used by me quite a bit & has not been sharpened, just stropped twice.

Requirements -
1) please be ready to pay the full value (~$400) if you break it.
2) Take photos when you receive & send the knife to help identify when/if there is damage.
3) insure it while shipping and make sure to package it properly
4) no post/account age requirement but prefer you’re at least somewhat active. I’ll make final decisions if needed.
5) limit to a week per person. I’m thinking 10-12 people so this shouldn’t take forever.
6) please only sharpen it if you’re decent, I would rather not have a ton of unnecessary scratches along the blade.
7) USA Only - sorry.

Current photos - will add more tomorrow & can start the PA as early as next week maybe.
4B7068DD-81B0-4B40-8B6D-A0A176375B11.jpeg
6009D073-45CD-4042-BE48-6B487EC838C0.jpeg

Please reply below if you’re interested & your location!

@moderncooking has been gracious enough to reach out and offer a special treat for those of you who participate. Just shoot him a DM with your email and a picture of this knife in your kitchen!

Last edited:
As a Member and Handlemaker of Birch and Bevel i wanna personaly thank you for this PA, that people can try it and give some Feedback.
Feedback makes our workflow and goals easier and help us to make changes if needed!
You can all write me an DM too if you have any Questions and maybe some "offers" of changeing, likes or dislikes and i will talk with the Guys about it :)

Thanks again, and to everybody takeing part in this, HAVE FUN :)

While I'm interested, I've tried several Spåres and one other B&B knife. So while if there's an unused spot I'd be happy to slot in, please prioritize others if there's more demand. Thanks for putting this on!

Edit - in SLC, UT

Last edited:
Interested in Atlanta. Thanks for doing this. Have been really intrigued.

Are you sending that cutting board along with it?
Considering it was a gift to my wife for our anniversary, I’d better not!
Technically the knife was too, but she’s okay with sharing that for a bit… slowly getting her to accept this hobby and get into it herself!

I would also like to a spot in the queue if possible. Located in Phoenix, AZ. I am new to these forums (tho I've been reading for many years), so no offense taken at all if that disqualifies me. Very nice of you to offer this!

1) @240_Gyutos_Only
2) @mrmoves92
3) @timebard
4) @Malcolm Johnson
5) @gentiscid
6) @SwampDonkey
7) @nickrut
8) @Homechef
9) @rgar4012
10 @yummycrackers
11) @cwk.v
12) @brimmergj
13) @Justinv

Let me know if you have any issues! Will ship out Tuesday as long as I get the first address in time.

Tried to go in the best geographic order so I apologize if you’re last

Edit to add last 2.
Let’s call this full, if it goes quickly I’ll maybe open a spot or 2 but this is already at least 3 months long lol

Last edited:
Didn’t mention it before but I’ll add it now. The tip is very slightly bent to the left since my wife dinged it against the sink & it looks like it rusted very slightly during shipping.

The first person has it now and I don’t want anyone to have the wrong idea or any fingers being pointed.

As always if you feel confident in doing something to enhance performance/aesthetics feel free!

Back