Blade guards scratching my knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a bunch of cheap unlined plastic blade guards (full height, about 2 inches), never mind from whom. I don't know if it's from the manufacturing process or if it's grit from sharpening and working on knives, but somehow there's debris getting into them and scratching the blade finishes. Is there a better option for my knife bag and drawer other than bulky saya or clamshell cases? I remember seeing something about felt-lined edge guards, do these work to protect against scratches and are there recommended "good ones?"

Thanks

The felt-lined ones won't protect from scratches either, and I got a rust problem with them, exactly at the point where the felt ends. Make your own with cardboard and duct tape. Cardboard seems to stabilise humidity fluctuation to a certain degree.

Well, it took me far too long to arrive at this huge "duh:" cardboard sleeve to protect the blade faces inside the plastic guard to hold it on and protect the edge.

Well, it took me far too long to arrive at this huge "duh:" cardboard sleeve to protect the blade faces inside the plastic guard to hold it on and protect the edge.

Well it took me until I read your post for the bulb to light up so don't feel bad

The felt-lined ones won't protect from scratches either, and I got a rust problem with them, exactly at the point where the felt ends. Make your own with cardboard and duct tape. Cardboard seems to stabilise humidity fluctuation to a certain degree.

100% with you on this. I always had a small issue with rust right where the felt guard ends (even if I oiled the blade a bunch before hand..)

I use unlined plastic and find they scratch less than a ho Saya... I think at the end of the day the scratches are much less annoying than cut up knife rolls, hands, or chipped edges!

Latest posts

Back