Bladesmiths and other Experts: Is this delamination?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just received a knife that I prefer not to return because it would be a huge PITA, but I'm concerned that there may be some delamination between the core steel and soft iron cladding. There is a mark that appears to be approximately along the cladding line (hard to tell with certainty). The mark itself looks like some forge scale that was left in a slight depression. There is the slightest bit of depth to it. It is the location that concerns me.

Also, if this is delamination, is it cause for concern? Will it worsen? In other words, should I bite the bullet and return this knife?

Hard to get a good picture but here are some attempts from various angles and orientations:

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

A3.jpg

A4.jpg

A5.jpg

A6.jpg

A7.jpg

A8.jpg

How many mm? Feel with the fingernail? Could be a carbon inclusion during the forging. Quite common on Kato blades but not usually so severe. Who is the maker so we have a better idea of the blade makers process.

How many mm? Feel with the fingernail? Could be a carbon inclusion during the forging. Quite common on Kato blades but not usually so severe. Who is the maker so we have a better idea of the blade makers process.

The mark is about 2 - 3mm in length. I can feel the slightest bit of depth with my fingernail. The depth is easier to visualize with the eye instead of photos, but here is an angle where the lighting gives a sense of the depth (and actually exaggerates it a little). The maker is Sugimoto and it's a No. 6 chuka.

A9.jpg

I don't think it's anything to worry about. This Kato was especially affected by carbon deposits at the cladding line. They could be barely felt with the finger nail.
Kato.jpg

I wouldn't say it's a delamination, but it looks more like a dirty weld. It shouldn't get worse. Delaminations are welded sections that lose their bond, they're usually really clean and can be hard to see.

I wouldn't say it's a delamination, but it looks more like a dirty weld. It shouldn't get worse. Delaminations are welded sections that lose their bond, they're usually really clean and can be hard to see.

Thanks, Matt - appreciate you weighing in. I'm trying a bunch of rectangles these days so I can nail down some preferences. Hope to get in touch with you about a custom at some point 👍

Latest posts

Back