Blenders: which one to choose?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleary the people that have chimed into this thread haven't used a BT so their recommendations have to be taken for what they are. The BT doesn't come with a plunger cause it doesn't need one. You've seen BT blenders in use at hundreds of juice bars across the globe, none of the bartenders are futzing with black dildo, cause the machine doesn't need one. Its because the BT uses a novel blade and jar configuration. The VM is powerful but the jar/blade hasn't been updated since blenders were invented.

I'm not saying that I don't get frozen cavitation once in a while. I just shut the machine off and use a rubber spatula to push the food back down and add more liquid. A plunger isn't going to stop frozen cavitation either.

Some may not be so concerned about foot print or counter space in a large kitchen, but in a home kitchen, the small foot print makes getting the blender out and storing it much more friendly.

Their both great blenders, I'd like to see any non-biased review that contradicts that.

vitamix is ultimate, but seems a bit overkill for home use if you ask me.

i might be the homiest of the homecooks. (note..i didnt say homliest :))

i felt this way, and bought the Breville that ATK suggested. i use it for enchilada sauces, soups..smoothies, etc. all the usual suspects. but it is no way..not even close to a vitamix. i used a friends, and it is a game changer. sauces are noticably smoother..by a huge margin. made me hate my crappy blender. :D i cant wait for it to break. and if my wife stays on the path..it should break soon. that lady is like the bermuda triangle for blenders.

Cleary the people that have chimed into this thread haven't used a BT so their recommendations have to be taken for what they are. The BT doesn't come with a plunger cause it doesn't need one. You've seen BT blenders in use at hundreds of juice bars across the globe, none of the bartenders are futzing with black dildo, cause the machine doesn't need one. Its because the BT uses a novel blade and jar configuration. The VM is powerful but the jar/blade hasn't been updated since blenders were invented.

I'm not saying that I don't get frozen cavitation once in a while. I just shut the machine off and use a rubber spatula to push the food back down and add more liquid. A plunger isn't going to stop frozen cavitation either.

Some may not be so concerned about foot print or counter space in a large kitchen, but in a home kitchen, the small foot print makes getting the blender out and storing it much more friendly.

Their both great blenders, I'd like to see any non-biased review that contradicts that.

Juice bars don't need the plunger, there's enough liquid in the product to move things along. If you're processing thicker denser materials, the plunger is highly beneficial, not essential but neither is a nice knife I guess.

I will say this: If youre an Android fan, then blendtec is the blender for you!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qg1ckCkm8YI

I actually think VMix has the better marketing that's why it's so popular kinda like KitchenAid mixers or Keurig coffee machines. I've used both and prefer the Blendtec. The blendtec uses much less space, cheaper, and more powerful than a comparable VMix. I guess if you're making nut butters all day then having a plunger would make sense but otherwise it's really a none issue. And they're both expensive and might be overkill for most homes but you'll never have to buy another machine for a long time so you could potentially save more money than buying a cheaper new machine every few years or in OP's case after 2 months.

As far as 'more than needed for home use' is concerned, I have to say we do more with our VitaMix then we did with our old Warings, etc. A VitaMix or BlendTec may well entice someone to try making some new things. Point of entry cost is definitely high, but like a Vacmaster, a couple years down the road you just plain enjoy using the thing and the purchase price is forgotten.

As far as 'more than needed for home use' is concerned, I have to say we do more with our VitaMix then we did with our old Warings, etc. A VitaMix or BlendTec may well entice someone to try making some new things. Point of entry cost is definitely high, but like a Vacmaster, a couple years down the road you just plain enjoy using the thing and the purchase price is forgotten.

I agree. Whether it's either of the big names mentioned, having that kind of power really changes the possibilities for all kinds of projects in the kitchen. The first time I made a beet purée with a vitamix 6-7 years ago was a complete game changer for me. I'm sure the blendtec is also a quality product. I was just yanking Mucho's chain a little:angel2:

I agree, too. After my out of warranty Breville caught fire blending a banana smoothie, I bought a Vitamix. As I was making my first smoothie in the Vitamix I got a call from Breville promising to replace the burned up one. So kudos to them for great service, but in less than a week with Vitamix I have made seven smoothies, two soups, puréed beets and pesto. I'm hooked.

I started with a used vitamix for $85 from ebay (the all metal jobbers).
I liked it enough to buy a refurb 5200 model for mom. It is smoother, quieter, and better behaved.

Only downside, it can get stuff really hot just with the blender.
Add ice, frozen stuff if you want your kale smoothies to be drinkable.

I picked the Vitamix as well. I've been happy with it overall, but the overheat protection will kick in easily if you are doing something thick like hummus.

I've never had the OH protection come on but am using it on hi/max for super thick stuff (nut butters and smoothies that don't pour out of the container when you turn upside down) mostly which my understanding is when the cooling fan comes on (except the newest models which is always on?).

Back