Bob Kramer owners: how do compare?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ Chef Niloc,
Colin,I wouldn't know where to begin on how to convex grind. Not yet at least. Other wise I'd be all over it!

@ Chef Niloc,
Colin,I wouldn't know where to begin on how to convex grind. Not yet at least. Other wise I'd be all over it!

Not grind, tweak would be a better word. Look up "mouse pad" in the search here, should bring up good info. It's just like stropping but with sandpaper and some inn soft (mouse pad) underneath to give the convex form. It's easier than you think and since you're only using a drawing motion it's harder to mess up your knife like when thinning or sharpening on a bench stone or grinder.
For this job I start with 120 grit paper laying the knife completely flat and draw the blade from the top of the pad towards you. Stop at the end, don't pull it over the edge of the pad, lift it up place it down at the top again and work in a horizontal direction till you reach the tip of the knife, don't follow the shape of the edge, keep the blade completely perpendicular and don't lift or tilt the handle in any direction. Do one side then the other keeping the number of passes on each side. Most of the work will be done on the 120 grit paper, use silicon carbide type paper, you'll probably need a dozen sheets or so for this job. following finer grit paper is just to remove the deep 120 grit scratches, so check the blade before going to finer grit papers. Then go threw A progression of finer grit paper till you reach a level of polish you're happy with. I find it works best to go one step further then back one step. By this I mean 120, then 240, back to 120, back to 240, then up to 360, back to 240, then 360 again, then up to 400 and so on. I'd go all the way up to 8k paper.

Not in a million years--even if I were a millionaire--would I pay the prices being paid for an original Kramer. I would rather pay $1000 for a custom knife that is exactly to my specifications and donate the other $6000 to charity.

However, I am itching to try one of the Zwilling Kramer 10" chef's. Maybe in the future.

me too .... I do have the 8" version but that 10" looks great ...however it's a lot of money though for a knife that would not get used much in my house

Back