Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sunday get up early hike. Big salad, followed by Salmon burger & air fryer steak fry's. Have a beer take a nap.
20240428_144053.jpg
20240428_154744.jpg
20240428_155019.jpg

Got myself a new toy… a commercial grade vacuum sealer ☺️

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Of course I had to try it out. Chicken peri peri (or something along those lines) bagged all snug and ready to go into the fridge for a day.

IMG_7268.jpeg

I then made some sort of middle eastern influenced rice with loads of spice, chopped dates, onion, garlic, almond slices, and cherry tomatoes.

Green asparagus was added to my lunch portion today when I heated it all up as I wanted to get it done just right.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

looks like we have the same vac machine, I like the thing a lot!
Nice! :) I’ve been happy with it (the little use it has gotten so far). Plan on doing things like fermented salsas (thanks Brad Leone!), etc., so it most definitely will see use other than packing proteins for marinating.

Sous vide is also one option that I’ve yet to explore, but this is certainly a step in that direction :D

Nice! :) I’ve been happy with it (the little use it has gotten so far). Plan on doing things like fermented salsas (thanks Brad Leone!), etc., so it most definitely will see use other than packing proteins for marinating.

Sous vide is also one option that I’ve yet to explore, but this is certainly a step in that direction :D
Once you have a vacuum sealer, you’ll find more uses for it. They are great for freezing, pickling, marinating, curing meat, and equilibrating moisture content of salami and dry-cured meats. And sous vide, of course. I use mine a lot.

And now for something completely different :D

My late-night snack is a regional Finnish delicacy known as ”Black sausage”, basically a blood sausage made of pig blood and rice, served here with lingonberry jam and quick spring cabbage salad/slaw (salt, vinegar and a bit of neutral vegetable oil).

Lingonberry jam is very nice with such items, though rather hard to come by outside of the Nordics, you can sub it with tart cherry jam or preserve.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Lingonberry jam is very nice with such items, though rather hard to come by outside of the Nordics, you can sub it with tart cherry jam or preserve.

Lingonberry is a fave and Ikea has pretty much made it available everywhere. Prefer it so much over cranberry beside meals.

On today’s episode of crimes against cuisine. Tuna melt with garam and tandoor masala, bonus points as I burnt it a tad while making a squash purée. Burnt bread aside… love these for a quick bite. Wife is revolted.
I can totally see how this will be tasty. Nice idea, thanks! I’ll try doing something along those lines, too. For me, it’ll have some raw red onion with it, and maybe some fresh tomato.

On today’s episode of crimes against cuisine. Tuna melt with garam and tandoor masala, bonus points as I burnt it a tad while making a squash purée. Burnt bread aside… love these for a quick bite. Wife is revolted.

View attachment 318412
As an avid enjoyer of both tuna melts and slightly burned bread, this is not a crime against cuisine in the least. This is peak culinary performance!

Once you have a vacuum sealer, you’ll find more uses for it. They are great for freezing, pickling, marinating, curing meat, and equilibrating moisture content of salami and dry-cured meats. And sous vide, of course. I use mine a lot.
Also resealing Mylar bags for frozen veggies, crackers, cereal, etc. Just need to seal, not full vacuum.

I can totally see how this will be tasty. Nice idea, thanks! I’ll try doing something along those lines, too. For me, it’ll have some raw red onion with it, and maybe some fresh tomato.
One day I decided to change it up from the typical cumin, salt, pepper and I haven’t looked back. Very tasty, color is another story 😅

Chǎo Fàn/Chahan

Fried Rice with Duck Egg, Shiitake, Garlic
+
Avocado Salad

Fried rice ingredients: basmati rice, duck egg, shiitake mushroom, scallion, garlic, Teochew umami chili oil, Malaysian soy sauce, ramen pepper, kosher salt

903FAC39-B3D2-4C33-A7F9-B5B0E9EBBF79.jpeg

EE2D4807-8A13-4AA8-8D70-60F85930CD19.jpeg

43943872-3CE3-4E75-B01B-548CAAA85B56.jpeg

6CEF9D02-F991-416C-8DFB-D0203DDD50D9.jpeg

CB9331CE-465A-4BB2-948C-40857839271D.jpeg

Okonomiyaki (again) still not got it quite right, think I need more better or less veg. (more batter it is next time!)

Bloody lovely though :), needs an Asahi to go with it really

View attachment 318592
Oooooh nice!! Okonomiyaki (or Yoko Ono Maki as my old boss would frequently fumble it) is an all time favorite! Gonna have to make some tonight!

Back