Boning knife problems

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hibbs00

Reaction score
I bought a babish boning knife. 1.4116 German steel. I know, not great steel but I just needed something cheap. The first one came with an "s" bend in it. I sent it back and this one goes off kind of bent to the right. Do boning knives usually have this problem? Will it cause problems sharpening or cutting meats? Should I try again or just keep it? Thanks for any help

Just get your money back and buy one of the utilitarian professional brands like Victorinox instead of Chinese junk. The variability is exactly why I steer people away from it.

1.4116 isn't even all that bad...but '55 +- 2' doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the quality of the heat treatment.

Just get your money back and buy one of the utilitarian professional brands like Victorinox instead of Chinese junk. The variability is exactly why I steer people away from it.

1.4116 isn't even all that bad...but '55 +- 2' doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the quality of the heat treatment.
I looked at victorinox at first. I should have followed my instincts haha. I appreciate it

Homie, I probably have a few of those old Forgecraft boning knives in my bins of project knives. If you want cheap, I'll give it to you for the shipping costs.
Thank you my friend, that is very kind. I talked to my old boss and he gave me an old Dexter one from the restaurant. I really appreciate it though!

I’ll bite.
Which ones?

I'm curious also. Which ones?
All knives can come with a bend. The steel can have a natural bend from the original roll it was in, the blacksmith might leave some bends in going in various directions due to how they forge, it can be straight from the blacksmith and the sharpener puts bends in with pressure, the polishing stages can also bend the knife, . Then there is shipping.....I've had bend Kurosaki's, a Shig I have has a slight bend but thats from age, every single Shindo I've seen is bent. On the other hand every knife I've got through Sakai Kikumori has been as straight as a straight thing.

Thank you my friend, that is very kind. I talked to my old boss and he gave me an old Dexter one from the restaurant. I really appreciate it though!
Seriously, for just the price of shipping, you should take him up on the offer. Those old Forgie stiff boners are awesome. No one ever complained about having too many knives.

All knives can come with a bend. The steel can have a natural bend from the original roll it was in, the blacksmith might leave some bends in going in various directions due to how they forge, it can be straight from the blacksmith and the sharpener puts bends in with pressure, the polishing stages can also bend the knife, . Then there is shipping.....I've had bend Kurosaki's, a Shig I have has a slight bend but thats from age, every single Shindo I've seen is bent. On the other hand every knife I've got through Sakai Kikumori has been as straight as a straight thing.
Thanks, but none of these is “super expensive” except some Shigs that trade for more than purchase price.

Thanks, but none of these is “super expensive” except some Shigs that trade for more than purchase price.
Relative...

edit: the discussion was talking about Vic's and forgecraft, in comparison a Kurosaki is super expensive (note, I haven't had a paycheck for quite a few years now so a forgecraft is expensive for me😂).

Last edited:
Back