Breaking news!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, Pierre, if you save some time with this new project, you can head down to North Dakota and survey some oil fields and make some real (non-knife) cash ;)

k.

Latest development... I am pleased to announce, that Mark, with Burl Source, has agreed to be the exclusive supplier for handle woods for the upcoming knives, also a Wa handled version has been drawn up, and will likely be incorporated into the first run if all the pieces fall into place. Also, the projected price on these looks like $299.95, will have to work out to see if the Wa will be the same price. If not, not much more. :D

A Rodrique mid-tech for $300 sounds like one hell of a bargain to me. Roll on next year.

That's a steal Pierre! Congrats on the new venture. Bet these will be snapped up seconds after they are posted!

:happy1: YAY! Now I know what to get for a birthday knife!

Can I order the 13th one? I dont know what it looks like, but I want to get in while they are still there :) Yes with the wa handle.

Just opened a box, my little lady was nice enough to pick up from the postal outlet, 40+ african blackwood blocks, and a bunch of stabilized blocks form Marks store. There will be westerns and wa handles in the first knives to be released. With woods at quality close to full custom stuff. HEHEHE! Gettin' excited!

I can't wait!..no I can...don't rush back and hurt yourself, or anything.

Got word prototype steel should be heading to me in a few days! Its comming together! :bliss:

Ok, well the surgeries slowed me down a lot! But the first of the prototypes made it to me, I finished the blades, and a quick dirty polish/machine finish, sharpened, and a quick impromptu cutting test was in order. This didn't get the stones at all, just to a 400 grit on the grinder, essentially cut the bevels. The blank is also missing a handle. Here is a quick video, nothing fancy, and please ignore my nervous cutting lack-of-technique! I kinda stalled on the potato. lol! I'm not knife skilled. If this was a hunting video, different story! The last images are to show the level of convexity. I chose to do this mid blade, for the reason if I'm against the spine, a little tweek on the ruler makes it look larger. This way I keep myself honest! Please, let me know your thoughts! By the way, 2.0 is already in the works, I have been speaking with several of you, thank you for your input. I really appreciate the time you put into your responses.

Pierre

[video=youtube_share;6rSbKauu_Qo]http://youtu.be/6rSbKauu_Qo[/video]

Looks promising, Pierre. I like how you did all the demos without a handle on. :lol2:

Great "first run"! Now when can we get our hands on them? :D No rush, of course *thinking I should sell my 10" and 240mm gyutos to make room...*

Exciting! I really admire your work. Can't wait to see the progression.
Your sujihiki with the mammoth and leftys Pettysuki should just be bookmarked. I look at them so much:biggrin:

This looks promising! :doublethumbsup: Can you upload some photos of the prototype?

duplicate

refinededge.jpg

I am getting more and more interested. Looks real nice at this time. I can see a wa handled one in my future.

Side profile shot looks really nice. Some additional measurements with respect to length, height and thickness at various places would help flesh out the concept of the knife.

Here are some additional measurements... Will start with 3/32" stock, full distal taper, and convexing as shown in the short video.
Dimprofile.jpg

Man, I might be biased, but I can't see an issue with this profile. 240mm is as big as I go, comfortably, and the low tip is very usable, but as seen in the video is still high enough for walking the board.
On behalf of everyone, will there be any sort of preorder with these? If so, do we deal with Mark only, or can we go through you?

Honestly at this moment, I'm not 100% sure. I beleive Mark will handle the sales, and this might be better for the US customer base. You won't have to deal with shipping and customs. I don't know for sure if I will be shipping to Canadian customers via Mark?? We will see as we get closer.

Back