Budget Pass Around: Shindo & Kitchen Knives Id

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What knife should the pass around be?

• Shindo Nakiri + Kitchen Knives Id gyuto

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Shindo Gyuto + Kitchen Knives Id gyuto

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Shindo Nakiri + Windmühlenmesser Santoku

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shindo Gyuto + Windmühlenmesser Santoku

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Shindo Nakiri + ?

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Shindo Gyuto + ?

• Just the Shindo Gyuto

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Just the Shindo Nakiri

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Alrighty, given the interest in the Kyohei Shindo knives if folks are interested in a pass around, I'd be happy to offer up either a nakiri or gyuto as I picked up a couple of each for re-handle projects to give to family or friends.

Given that these are fairly budget knives, if folks want to add a second budget knife to try, I've added a couple other options and am open to other suggestions as well if they're something that fits the theme and is something I currently own. I'm going to be traveling for a couple days and need to figure out handles for whichever Shindo folks want to do when I get back, so I'm putting up a poll to gather preferences in the meantime. If you're interested in other potential options, select a Shindo + ? option in the poll and comment the suggestion (sorry for making this overly complicated :p).

Pic is a 240mm Kitchen Knives Id, 210mm Shindo (they run closer to 220mm), and 165mm nakiri
IMG20240509195520.jpg

Pass around small print:

1. I'd prefer to keep this CONUS considering international shipping doesn't seem worth it for some fairly cheap knives, but if multiple of our friends up north are interested we can open things up
2. I'd like to keep this to forum members with at least a bit of track record of community engagement here, so you're brand new to the forum or have minimal posts, I invite you to jump into the fray in the meantime and join the next go around
3. Please only give a full sharpening if you know your way around a whetstone, I want other folks to get a decently accurate sense of the knives
4. Try and keep them moving after a week or two of use

Cheers!

Last edited:
This is very cool! Shindo Nakiri & Kitchenknivesid vote here. I’d like to join pass around. I have good engagement and have bought a few knives here, but still pretty new so no hard feelings if I don’t meet criteria.

Last edited:
I have been enjoying a 165mm funyaki for quite a while, and since picked up a petty and a 210mm. That said, I will not participate, but it is very generous of you to do the passarounds!

I will get the 240mm from somewhere if I can, but figure there will be a lot of interest. Surprised they have not run out of the 210mm at CKTG.

I have the whole Shindo series (minus the new 240).

The nakiri is still my favorite profile of his. Even if nakiri is not your thing, I would strongly suggest you to give Shindo's a try. There's just something magical about his nakiri, it cuts better than his gyuto (not to say that his gyuto is not already ridiculously fantastic)

I’d be down to try the Shindo nakiri and whatever else. Every time I think about buying one they’re either out of stock or I convince myself I don’t want to deal with reactive cladding.

Not in, but also here to chime in that I think the nakiri is Shindo's best work. The gyuto is lovely too, don't get me wrong, but the nakiri is what still makes me go "wow" next to $600 knives.

I’ve nearly bought knives from these makers in the past but never committed so I’d be interested in joining and putting them head to head against some more expensive knifes! Out in OH

Quick update. Since several of the votes seem to lean towards the Shindo Gyuto so far, I took a few minutes to expand the slot on a basic knife handle and install it. It's kinda quick and dirty, but it's epoxied on with bees wax packed to fill in around the tang slot as the epoxy cured just a little lower than being flush with the handle. I kinda wish I'd gone with a lighter handle as this is a bit handle heavy (see balance point in last picture). If folks prefer more of a forward balance, I can do a lighter handle on another blade blank next week or I can chop off half an inch and re-torch the bottom

1000000792.jpg
1000000794.jpg
1000000795.jpg
1000000793.jpg
1000000797.jpg
1000000801.jpg
1000000798.jpg

Quick update. Since several of the votes seem to lean towards the Shindo Gyuto so far, I took a few minutes to expand the slot on a basic knife handle and install it. It's kinda quick and dirty, but it's epoxied on with bees wax packed to fill in around the tang slot as the epoxy cured just a little lower than being flush with the handle. I kinda wish I'd gone with a lighter handle as this is a bit handle heavy (see balance point in last picture). If folks prefer more of a forward balance, I can do a lighter handle on another blade blank next week or I can chop off half an inch and re-torch the bottom

View attachment 320679View attachment 320681View attachment 320682View attachment 320683View attachment 320684View attachment 320685View attachment 320686
I ended up going through this exact same dilemma, the tang was so long on my gyuto I did a larger rosewood handle and regretted it. Switched to a smaller teak one and the knife feels much better with balance forward.

View attachment 320679View attachment 320681View attachment 320682View attachment 320683View attachment 320684View attachment 320685View attachment 320686

This one looks a lot smoother than many of the denty ones i have seen.

Love hearing about younger makers.

Back