• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Budget thinning stone and medium stone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KitchenCommander

Reaction score
I am looking for a stone or two to begin practicing thinning, sharpening, and flattening with Japanese water stones. I have only used diamond, ceramic, and super cheap silicon carbide stones thus far and am looking to build my skills to take care of my higher end knives.

I am going to practice on cheap carbon knives first, and am looking for some used budget stones to practice with. I am saving up for nicer stones now, but I don't want to dish/gouge expensive stones because I don't know what I'm doing. I have watched the videos, so now I'm ready to put it into practice.

I would like stones that do not dish super fast because I will be rough on these when thinning cheap carbon knives, but it is not required. Pre-Flattened would be greatly appreciated. Users are fine.

Budget of ~$20-$30 per stone. 1 coarse for thinning and 1 medium for creating a smooth finish. Willing to pick up a finishing stone as well if someone has one they are not using. Let me know what's laying around.

Thanks!

Bump
Looking for Kings, Bester, Beston, or other budget coarse/medium stones you have lying around that you just don't use any more. Looking for at least 2 stones (coarse/med) for thinning.

Back