Carbon Pan Seasoniong Question + Pictures

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to send a photo,but due to the busy Christmas period my pans while functioning great have more of a "utilitarian " look. Next time I clean and reseason them I'll post a picture
Edit: but seasoned properly it does look like it came from the factory like that.

wow..

AMAZON PRIME is the best. got my pan already!! sent to my office so i fondled it already. home to season tonight.

need to buy a potato and some flax oil.

so.

call it growing pains. or i'm impatient.

tried fried rice. my seasoning wasnt up to the task and i got stuck rice. i'll stick to meat for awhile..sucks since i am eating less meat these days.

so.

call it growing pains. or i'm impatient.

tried fried rice. my seasoning wasnt up to the task and i got stuck rice. i'll stick to meat for awhile..sucks since i am eating less meat these days.

Boom, try warming pan on medium till water drops dance around the interior (I mean DANCE). Add oil, wipe out that oil, add More oil then cook. You shouldn't have to do this with s well seasoned Debuyer but it might help in the beginning

Boom, try warming pan on medium till water drops dance around the interior (I mean DANCE). Add oil, wipe out that oil, add More oil then cook. You shouldn't have to do this with s well seasoned Debuyer but it might help in the beginning

appreciate the tip!!

I picked up another Debuyer this Christmas season and wanted to do a quick seasoning WIP. Its a MineralB Oval roasting pan:
http://www.debuyer.com/en/products/...ng-pan-with-2-stainless-steel-riveted-handles

I've been looking for an oval pan that I could sear meat on the stove top and then finish in the oven. Sure round pans work but I'm hoping that oval shape will cook roasts and steaks more efficiently and allow the fat to surround them meat better.

I think its about 2.8mm thick and very substantial feeling (no surprise there). I know we've tested several methods for seasoning a new carbon pan, so I wanted to demonstrate what I did this time.

I use alcohol (91%) and paper towels to remove the beeswax surface coating. Then scour with barkeepers friend and a nylon brush, wipe dry, warm on stove until dry (used an already warm oven this time).

Wiped the cold pan down flax oil and paper towel until smoking. Cooled (pic 2).Then used the Cooks Illustrated method using potato peels. As you can see, the pan really didn't patina the much. Last shot was after I roasted a turkey carcass, still vey light patina. For comparison is a shot of my 10 and 12" that I've been cooking in for a few years. I don't really have any conclusions or words of advise, Just wanted to share.

12B5B8D4-D913-4881-BC41-C1B8F41027CC.jpg

90DD7680-CC52-41A8-8A16-BBFD1E99F888.jpg2F1DAF54-29E7-4E85-9958-5F5FAC2CC0AF.jpg6C381DB0-007B-4AD3-B564-F1EF3DB050D2.jpg08BCD71C-566B-4817-B280-CC2045B68FBB.jpg1F924496-2275-4F2A-AD45-08B6D9B96FBD.jpgD325D7A1-F906-4089-9EC4-0E7F24BD8773.jpg

Thanks for shAring, I recently got a 16" CS wok in need of seasoning so may try and incorporate some of this.

Did the iso work well to remove the wax? I'm curious why you chose to remove it as I learned (the hard way after using ammonia to help remove on some of mine) that the wax helps to season. For subsequent initial cleanings I just used really hot water and a blue scotchbrite with some natural glycerine soap to help remove the excess

Tanner, As you know that beeswax is just a PIA to clean off. For me even with a strong detergent and very hot water, its just smears. I figured it was best to get as clean a surface as I could and ISO works beautifully.

Yes that was one of the most annoying undertakings with a new set. Smaller ones were no problem but the larger ones cool off while trying to wipe and it doesn't take long at all for the scotchbrite to gum up.

The wok will be done differently because it looks to have a lacquer, perhaps I'll scrub with steel wool and NaOH similar to a lye tank for CI.

Back