Carter Funayuki - Big Chips

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still in the market for a new knife, based on an earlier post, here are my current ideas below. I do plan to call Jon at some point when work slows down for me (I always plan on it being next week, but next week never comes)...

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
*Gyuto or Slicing Cleaver

Are you right or left handed?
*Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
*Wa-Handles Only

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
*240-270mm (gyuto) or 200-230mm (cleaver)

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
*No, but would like a great Semi-Stainless in case wife uses, but she could care for a good patinaed carbon if it's amazing.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
*$500 but would have to be pretty amazing

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
*Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
*Everything except bones & frozen meat. Slicing boneless meat I use a Yanagiba if it's more than a tiny piece.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
* Actually replacing my long lost Hiromoto AS 270mm I got rid of a while back, Carter filled the bill pretty well, especially since my wife likes that length better than the 270mm

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
* Not much into pinch grip anymore, but maybe this was because the Carter was pretty short at 180mm

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
* Push cut mostly, sometimes slicing

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
* Would love something that is amazing... :) Cutting feel, sharpening feel, ease of cutting....

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
* I love the look of the Heiji...

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
* Not really sure I care a whole lot about this, but of course nicer F&F is always better...I usually just don't want to pay for it and would rather put the money into the steel and heat treat.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
* Good at push cutting and nice food release would be great. I can touch up pretty regularly, but if major sharpening is required weekly I usually get lazy.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
* Forever? But really, as long as it's not weekly with light home use and sharpens easily I should be fine.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
* End Grain Maple (boardsmith)

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
* Yes, many stones, but rarely get them all out for a session unless it's been several months. I try to touch up 1-2 times per month my set. Most stones end up being used for razors.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
* A bit...but probably will buy more stones after I acquire a nicer Yanagiba

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
* I love the Heiji look, and lots of people seem to like it
* Takeda AS cleaver has always looked pretty awesome....not being willing to put up the cash in the past I tried out a AEB-L cleaver from the HE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED site...they compared it to the CCK, but when getting the knife it's thickness (behind edge) was like comparing the thickness of a hair to the thickness of my table. At least he took it back promptly, sad part is I waiting for months.
* Overall, because the Carter must go back now and may come back a different knife, I'd really like to purchase something available today.

Also, big thanks to everyone for their PMs offering to buy, was great to know the option was there. Glad no one at the house tossed the knife. But I'll be sending it back. :)

Another couple options:
(1) Gesshin Gengetsu 240 white #2 up on BST now...I'm sure it won't last, and almost pulled the trigger a couple times, but I just don't know that much about it
(2) Konosuke HD2 Funayuki/Gyuto? I've kinda found out the funayuki is flatter belly, but can't find one for sale at the moment...But I think some shops in canada carry kono's

Holy s..t! How did you show restraint? He is still alive correct?

It's definitely something which can be repaired. Truthfully, although it's easy enough, I think letting Murray take care of it is the best thing. The knife will be different, almost as if you'd used it for ten years or so, but it will be fine at the end of the day and repaired by the same hands that formed it, so I think you'll get the best possible expression of the repaired blade, if that makes sense (?). I've done a few serious repairs over the years after accidents and occasional bouts of stupidity on the part of the users. I have seen much worse. This isn't nearly as bad as I had expected.

That knife has plenty of belly, even accounting for the repair, you'll end up with a very serviceable knife for many years to come. And if Murray Carter is doing the job it will be perfectly fine. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Will report back with pics once it comes back from it's maker! But as all mentioned, I'm sure it will work just fine.

In the meantime, I picked up the Gengetsu White #2 on BST. Since it was a bit under budget, I'm in the market for a nice stainless petty laser. Will mostly use for cutting fruit and random small tasks, but I hear lots of people like their pettys, so maybe it will end up being used for more. Any ideas? Right now top contender in my mind is the Gesshin Ginga stainless.

Glad Murray is taking on hte job. I'm sure the knife will be fine afterwards. Either way i would pick a reasonably expensive knife just to make sure the FIL does not do it again.
On the other hand my fathers new wife came for a visit and while i was at work she left my Takeda petty soaking in the sing full of water. I spent quite a while trying to refinish it. No mention of getting me something else. She never mentioned the incident at all actually. My wife got to tell the story....

I'd love to see the final pics/specs of this knife once its returned to you and repaired.

Holy S**T is right. You need to tell your father in law how much that knife costs. You can very nicely tell him that what he did to your knife is the same as if you took his prized guitar (or whatever his prized possession is) and bashed it against the wall.

Murray worked his magic...even with the before and after in the same picture!

1396758_545617422188611_1538748172_o.jpg

What does your father-in-law think of it? Or have you even let him see the picture? ;)

Haven't sent yet! You guys are the first to see....I got a couple new knives out of the ordeal as well, so overall not bad

Once I get it back I'll post new measurements, but I can see a bit of difference in height and profile.

Really? He didn't mention that to me. But after they received it was about a day before I got that picture.

It was posted on his facebook page, and said total time involved was 6 minutes.

It was posted on his facebook page, and said total time involved was 6 minutes.

That doesn't surprise me. I do lots of stuff to knives that would take way, way less time if I weren't doing it by hand on stones. I bet the knife will cut better than new, as I think I see some serious thinning work.

Murray is one of the best, and this knife is gonna be incredible...again....

Back