Carter Gyutos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carter's knives are tough to finish and make clean which is why I suspect that he doesn't do it himself. :)

Is that because of the bumps on the blade? There seem to be some bumps/dips in the knives from what I can see, but maybe they're just uneven scratches.

no they're bumps alright........he forges and it is left uneven....it's also a thin knife....to take out all the uneevenness ....there would be nothin left....ryan

Here's a handle shot of mine:

bb944c6c.jpg

Rick

Carter's knives are tough to finish and make clean which is why I suspect that he doesn't do it himself. :)

Is that because of the bumps on the blade? There seem to be some bumps/dips in the knives from what I can see, but maybe they're just uneven scratches.

He forges pretty much to shape regarding geometry except he grinds in the bevels. The sides of the blade will have hammer marks from forging which are lows/highs. Instead of grinding this out smooth he polishes (Scothbrite?) in and out of the lows/highs which gives an even(ish) appearance. To grind the hammer marks out is a lot more work for sure but to make the stainless he uses shine is also a chore as well and consider that the stainless cladding is VERY thin and easily ground through. Then you look at the bevel grinds which I think are created from the rough water wheel and this will present a challenge to bring to a uniform finish. Overall it's a lot more work to make them shine pretty.

I think Murray likes his "wabi sabi" that we discussed in another thread!
"Rough water wheel", "uneven hammer marks" and "thin". Not that i'm overly concerned, but have you ever seen "the issue" that a certain rustic maker sometimes has, on a Carter?
I'm going to guess not, but you just hit all the same key words.

I think Murray likes his "wabi sabi" that we discussed in another thread!
"Rough water wheel", "uneven hammer marks" and "thin". Not that i'm overly concerned, but have you ever seen "the issue" that a certain rustic maker sometimes has, on a Carter?
I'm going to guess not, but you just hit all the same key words.

I've never seen an overgrind or hammer mark issue (at the edge) on any Carter that I can recall.

Back