carter old stock

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roger that Justin, thanks for the insight. I have a feeling you are 100% right as I have not heard anything bad about his black two rivet handles. Not to mention the rehandle/wa-conversion would cost more than the knife :pirate1: .

Well, s.p I'm in the same boat as you on a rehandle. I bought a rh funayuki last year and I want to get it upgraded.

Me too, but I am going to just upgrade the scales---some curly koa ought to set it off nicely!

Just received my Nakiri and I have to say that this hunk of steel cuts like the dickens! Pictures when I get some more time...

Mine has been sitting in Denver all day. Should be here tomorrow. Can't wait.

First chance to cut with my new nakiri...thin and fairly sharp oob...just chopped some onion and potato's and fairly impressed. Website said 50mm tall though and mine measures 46, curious if I got the right knife or they just avg the height. Happy either way, just curious if others had the same experience...will weigh later to see if this is same as it was listed.

First chance to cut with my new nakiri...thin and fairly sharp oob...just chopped some onion and potato's and fairly impressed. Website said 50mm tall though and mine measures 46, curious if I got the right knife or they just avg the height. Happy either way, just curious if others had the same experience...will weigh later to see if this is same as it was listed.

If you look at all of the descriptions for every knife, sometimes they get them mixed up. One thing is for sure, if you're not happy, they'll take care of you and make it right.

If you look at all of the descriptions for every knife, sometimes they get them mixed up. One thing is for sure, if you're not happy, they'll take care of you and make it right.

I am very happy!! It does make me laugh at the time spent figuring out which dimensions would be best. As it turns out, it feels just right. Also, glad to know they would deal with a simple non-issue if I felt it important :knife:

I bought what was probably the last of Carter's S utility knives, a 4.5 sun (5.25") Wabacho, primarily to use for re-handling practice. Ever since I was a kid I've had a soft spot for the runt of the litter, and I already have a similar 4-inch Nakiri which my wife absolutlley loves.
Now that I have the knife, I can't help but remark, "What a nice knife!". It's sitting next to me now, sharp as hell out of the box, even after having been used to make my modest dinner. It really doesn't need a new handle, but I have a stack of wood from that guy in Oregon.

For my first Carter I am Impressed. I am amazed with the edge, and prob. wont use it until I can achieve the same.

These knives are meant to be used so do it!
+1

The best way to get over your fear of losing a really sharp edge and learning to sharpen is just to use the knife and force yourself to learn.

One of the really great things about well tempered carbon edges like Carters is that they are very easy to maintain. If you have a leather or even balsa strop loaded with fine abrasive (like diamond spray) you can maintain the "OTB" edge on that Carter for a looooong time. Many months if just in home use.

When it's past the point of stropping, sharpening is also very easy. Good carbon steel makes you feel like a hero. I learned to sharpen on some really difficult PM stainless initially using a crappy combo stone. I got pretty good, but it was a battle. Then, I tried a good carbon knife on a decent stone and was like "WOAH!!! I'm the best sharpener ever!!!!" It felt like I was playing a video game with all the cheat codes turned on... except more satisfying.

Also know that it is very difficult/ almost impossible to "ruin" a knife as long as you take it slow and pay attention. Even if you somehow manage to get it screwed up past what you can fix or people on here can advise you on based on photo/video, you can send it back to Carter or to any of the master sharpeners on here (Dave, Jon, Eamon) and they will make it better than new.

Oh I planed on using it. I just wanted a marker to what I need to reach. I did use it at work today, and showed it off too.

I went and watched some of his vid's after I posted that. I have a 4k stone and he uses a 6k. Not sure if there is a big jump in "sharpness", but that may just be a small key and a little less time with some stropping.

I did end up with a very close edge on my Tanaka petty with more stropping.

I may be jumping the gun but not only do I like the cutting performance of my new Carter, but there's something about the look of the blade (Carter's finish) that makes me really appreciate what this guy is doing. Maybe I was just given a taste of the Carter Koolaid but now I see why so many of you have at least one of his knives. If this feeling keeps up I will be for sure ordering a 240mm Funiyaki.

I may be jumping the gun but not only do I like the cutting performance of my new Carter, but there's something about the look of the blade (Carter's finish) that makes me really appreciate what this guy is doing. Maybe I was just given a taste of the Carter Koolaid but now I see why so many of you have at least one of his knives. If this feeling keeps up I will be for sure ordering a 240mm Funiyaki.
+1

Can't tell you how much I love my Carter. Granted I'm a noob and the only other experience I have is on some Shun's and my school issure Mercer's (suck so bad). Waiting for Stefan to rehandle it, and it will be my first ever "real" knife. Will never sell it.

I got my first carter a month or so ago. Now I can't imagine why I didn't get one sooner.

Indeed. It's no mistake that Carter won a sharpening contest on the old forum. And I think everybody here knows the referee. (I know, that's not the final word, but it means something). Even if all the knives don't come with that edge, there's no denying that he knows what he is doing. The Carter's might not have the longest lasting edges, but they are wonderful in about every other way.

Oh I planed on using it. I just wanted a marker to what I need to reach. I did use it at work today, and showed it off too.

I went and watched some of his vid's after I posted that. I have a 4k stone and he uses a 6k. Not sure if there is a big jump in "sharpness", but that may just be a small key and a little less time with some stropping.

I did end up with a very close edge on my Tanaka petty with more stropping.

Indeed. It's no mistake that Carter won a sharpening contest on the old forum. And I think everybody here knows the referee. (I know, that's not the final word, but it means something). Even if all the knives don't come with that edge, there's no denying that he knows what he is doing. The Carter's might not have the longest lasting edges, but they are wonderful in about every other way.

Didn't the knife sharpened by Carter have a wire edge, iirc?

I just wanted to post an update and some pics of my first Carter. I am still amazed at how nice of a cutter this nakiri is and I have to admit that the fit and finish has surprised me compared to what I have read in the past.

carter1g.jpg

By chicagopete at 2012-06-24

carter2m.jpg

carter3g.jpg

This blade has already shaved a thin layer off of my index finger when I carelessly wiped some excess green pepper that was sticking to the blade. :viking:

Ya my carter bit me a few times too. I gave it to a coworker to look at, and he almost got bit too. Excellent pics. So many maker so little money.:(

Nice Pete! Always cool to see a new knife find a good home! What where you shooting with?

Back