CCK 1303 or CCK 1103

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to give the CCK 1303 a try, and it arrived today. My first impression is that it doesn't feel as big in my hand as I'd expected after reading a number of reviews along the lines of "when you actually see this knife, it's going to be surprisingly big". It was not surprisingly big. My first thought was that I should have gotten the bigger one (as several people here suggested). The factory edge was sharp but not scary sharp. I was able to sharpen it enough to (barely, not comfortably) shave my arm hair, which is no better and no worse than I've done with my Forschner stainless knives.

My current impression is that I am pretty likely to order a larger cleaver before too long, but we'll see how I feel after using it for a while. (I'll post an update here.)

I'm interested in how it goes ordering from them. I know of a few here, myself included that have thought about it, but just felt too iffy about ordering from them. Please let us know when you receive your order, or if you have any issues in billing or shipping. I understand your in AUS, but us USers can still find the info useful

Joe

1303 arrived. Absolutely no problems at any stage of the process. Provided with hong kong post tracking number. Stanley was quick to respond to my queries and helpful. Took two weeks over christmas and new years so happy with that too. Thumbs up. Now, to sharpen and chop!

I find it hard to believe people calling the 13xx series a "small cleaver". I have the 1301. It's enormous. It's 240 long and 4" tall. I honestly can't see a need for the 11xx series. Now my myland slicer is a small cleaver. Profile is awful though and it's basically become my bread knife

Had a chance to try the 1103 at a local restaurant supply store here and really like the weight of it. However, the spin is much thicker than I expected. I'm coming from using gyutos and worried the 1103 will be difficult to make delicate thin cuts. I also feel like the 1301 is too large, I only need a knife about 21cm long and concerned the 1303 is too light to throw its weight around on the cutting board.

Users of the 1103, once you put a 15-degree edge on the blade, how difficult to make paper-thin cuts?

Not sure if they've changed the 1103, but the spine on mine is thin. I'm not home right now to measure but pretty sure it is thinner than any of my gyutos. Don't know about what angle is on mine, maybe 15/side but it will cut paper thin slices of food.
Cheers

Yes the spine is pretty thin on the 1103, the extra metal makes it about 70g heavier at 340g, still kind of light for a cleaver. The 1303 is a good starting point for trying a cleaver. You can still get them at Chinese Chef's Mall for 46.00 & cheap shipping. It is a smaller light blade 270g 20 x 9 x 0.2.

They are good for most slicing & chopping, fruits, vegetables, meat without bone. Years ago tried putting a steeper bevel on them to split Lobster, shell, claw & knuckle. The edge took a beating just too thin. Got a thicker CCK from Chinatown solved the problem. Around the same small size but quite a bit more weight. Think it is the CCK Vegetable cleaver small KF 1923 Carbon Steel 20.3 x 9 x .45. 400g. Thin behind the edge when sharpening, final bevel 15-20% each side. With Crab and Lobster the extra weight is good & can shave knuckle shell in one sweep.

Not sure if they've changed the 1103, but the spine on mine is thin. I'm not home right now to measure but pretty sure it is thinner than any of my gyutos. Don't know about what angle is on mine, maybe 15/side but it will cut paper thin slices of food.
Cheers

Based on Chefs Mall and in the store, the 1103's spine is ~3mm, which feels pretty thick to me. I'm more used to more of a ~2mm spine. Its thickness is somewhere between my deba and gyuto, is that right?

Based on Chefs Mall and in the store, the 1103's spine is ~3mm, which feels pretty thick to me. I'm more used to more of a ~2mm spine. Its thickness is somewhere between my deba and gyuto, is that right?

Just measured mine at 2.5mm over the heel (beginning of spine) and it is thinner than 5 out of 6 of my 240's. The sixth happens to also be 2.5mm.

For a knife that is ~225 x 110 to weigh in at 360 g's including handle is to me pretty light. By comparison to other full size cleavers, I believe this to be as light as any? Keith, did you weigh yours at 342? I've removed quite a bit of metal from mine and just weighed it.

BTW, I don't own any debas but believe the spines run 7-9mm for comparison. Curious what gyutos you are using--all pretty thin lasers I assume?

Cheers

I sold my 1303 & 1103 for cheap when I retired. Also my bone & lobster cleavers later on as not using for home use. All my CCK carbons are gone. Was going by weight on Chinese Chef Mall. Bought all my CCK's in Chinatown here over the years. I remember getting CCK 1303 for 25.00.

Those big hunks of steel sitting on my mag block getting rust spots. Never could find a Chinese stainless I liked, had to go Japanese Tojiro Medium VG-10 around 1# and a Sugimoto Vegetable CM 3040. Both needed work out of the box. Tojiro cut the bolt of the back & sealed up the metal collar with epoxy. The Sugimoto rounded the spine and choil. Both have good grinds and are excellent cutters.

Not a total lost cause still use carbon Gyuto, just switched to Stainless with Cleavers no regrets:D

BTW, I don't own any debas but believe the spines run 7-9mm for comparison. Curious what gyutos you are using--all pretty thin lasers I assume?

Gyuto is a Masamoto Tsukiji 270mm V1 (virgin steel), just measured spin at the heel at 2mm. I really love this knife and wish I also got the 240mm version instead, which is why I'm considering a Chinese cleaver as a shorter knife that's easier to work with. The Aritsugu Tsukiji Deba is 160mm and 6mm at the heel. The Santoku Artisugu I have is 4mm at the heel and I barely notice how thick that is. So maybe a 3mm heel on the 1103 is not so bad.

Thanks!

Back