Chinese cleavers- lend me your knowledge.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Price wise I was thinking £55 including shipping. I think Royal Mail Special Delivery is £5 to £6 which I can cover.

Alternatively, I'm happy to provide you details on where I bought the knife I used to London. You can pick out your own there!

I do have other Nakiri knives and had others too. Currently a 180 Kato KU Nakiri and the Toyama 210 Nakiri. Two very different profiles and grinds. 165mm Nakiri are too short for me both in length and usually height.

Nakiri can be used with meat too as a slicer or a push chopper.

If your laws allow it, I think Chefs Mall in China has the best selection of both CCK and Shibazi along with several other brands. Prices, I don't know.

I recently bought a CCK 1103 from chef knives to go
as far as slicers go the only have 1303 (small ),and 1103 (large)

I would recommend CCK 1103 or CCK 1102 , 1102 slightly larger and weighs 460 Grams , instead of 400 grams.
if you want the 1102 you will have to go through Chefs mall ,1103 can be purchased from either of the two.
These are the only two Distributors I know that carry CCK ,not sure if they ship to UK or not

However , if you were interested in a SUIEN vc Cleaver you could buy one from Japanese chef knives
($160 us ) .....they ship worldwide including UK

I don't know if this fits here but I bought a Sugimoto No. 7 a few months ago. It's billed as a heavy duty all purpose cleaver which to me means poultry and other light bone chopping along with vegetables. Heavy it is for sure. Great for reducing boneless meat to a fine grind. I've been doing a certain amount of bone chopping with since I bought it but yesterday a made my favorite Thai lemon grass chicken curry. This required chopping up a bunch of thighs bone-in. The edge of the cleaver now looks like a micro saw. Not good at all for a cleaver that handles like a hatchet. I plan to sharpen the dings out at a little steeper angle and see if that corrects the problem. I've never been sure the Japanese really understand Chinese cooking.

I have a CCK carbon 1303 and love it. Later i got a green plastic handled stainless at twice the size and rarely use it. It is just too big for me and doesn't fit in my knife block. It looks great though. I also have various Thai cleavers that are thick and soft enough for chicken bones and ribs.
I would recommend the Shibazi, and will probably get one myself at some point. They do one that is a little heavier than the CCK but similar in size to the 1303.

If light slicers are your thing, i'd also look into Victorinox and Mercer who both do a light slicer that i suspect works very well. I really like Victorinox fibrox products and their prices are very good. The Mercer has a nice looking grippy plastic barrel handle. I personally do not like metal handles. Wood or plastic/rubber is better.

Don't spend too much money until you've decided what suits you.

Unfortunately ,you never understand what you need, until you spend a lot of money ...

Here are my cleavers.

my%20cleavers_zps7jkevxjz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

cck_zpsdlngltjx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2nd from top is the CCK 1303 with the unseemly end filled in with resin. Top is the plastic handled 1102 stainless.

Below are 3 cheap Thai knives. Top two are Kiwi, the little one is Penguin.

My cheap and cheerful Thai knives get used more than my CCK or Tojiro gyuto.

Hmmmm...

But you can see the first picture presumably? You asked me about the second knife down so you must have.

Sorry, i haven't posted a picture here before and am new to photobucket too. I can see them on my computer, and i can see them accessing the site on my phone too, but i have to click on them there. Perhaps someone else will chime in at some point?

It's weird (btw - most images are blocked at work so I do most of my viewing on the app).

In your first post the first picture shows up as a broken link. I can see the second picture.

In your next post The first picture shows as a broken link and the second and third pictures show the photobucket thingy.

It'll be at least 10 hours until I can get home and tell you what it looks like on a normal desktop.

I have a CCK carbon 1303 and love it. Later i got a green plastic handled stainless at twice the size and rarely use it. It is just too big for me and doesn't fit in my knife block. It looks great though. I also have various Thai cleavers that are thick and soft enough for chicken bones and ribs.
I would recommend the Shibazi, and will probably get one myself at some point. They do one that is a little heavier than the CCK but similar in size to the 1303.

If light slicers are your thing, i'd also look into Victorinox and Mercer who both do a light slicer that i suspect works very well. I really like Victorinox fibrox products and their prices are very good. The Mercer has a nice looking grippy plastic barrel handle. I personally do not like metal handles. Wood or plastic/rubber is better.

Don't spend too much money until you've decided what suits you.

I tried the Mercer. Too small, light and thin for my taste. Vic's cleavers used to be made by Lamson here in the U.S. the same as Chicago Cutlery's. Not sure where they source them these days.

I tried the Mercer. Too small, light and thin for my taste. Vic's cleavers used to be made by Lamson here in the U.S. the same as Chicago Cutlery's. Not sure where they source them these days.

Well they are around the same weight as a cck1303 i think, and a little smaller too, and the 1303 has many followers, including me, so i think others may like them. However, i get your point and my next cleaver will be a little heavier as i have come to appreciate the benefits of the extra weight. If my 1102 wasn't such a beast i'd probably use it more often but i have not yet got used to it's size and it won't fit in my knife block.

BTW, can you see my photos?

Well they are around the same weight as a cck1303 i think, and a little smaller too, and the 1303 has many followers, including me, so i think others may like them. However, i get your point and my next cleaver will be a little heavier as i have come to appreciate the benefits of the extra weight. If my 1102 wasn't such a beast i'd probably use it more often but i have not yet got used to it's size and it won't fit in my knife block.

BTW, can you see my photos?
Nope, I can't see any of your photos.

I've been doing a certain amount of bone chopping with since I bought it but yesterday a made my favorite Thai lemon grass chicken curry. This required chopping up a bunch of thighs bone-in. The edge of the cleaver now looks like a micro saw. Not good at all for a cleaver that handles like a hatchet. I plan to sharpen the dings out at a little steeper angle and see if that corrects the problem. I've never been sure the Japanese really understand Chinese cooking.

Maybe you should thicken the edge of your sugimoto for bones and stop blaming the Japanese.

Maybe you should use a different knife better suited for bones.

Maybe the Japanese don't give a ****.

Maybe you should thicken the edge of your sugimoto for bones and stop blaming the Japanese.

Maybe you should use a different knife better suited for bones.

Maybe the Japanese don't give a ****.
Like I said, they market the No. 7 as an all purpose cleaver. In China that means chicken, waterfowl, large fish and light pork bone chopping along with the usual vegetables. I have plenty of real Chinese cleavers that will do that fine but I wanted to try this supposed top of the line Japanese model. I have yet to find a Japanese cleaver I have been really that happy with.

@dominasia - Unfortunately, I can't see any photos no matter what I click.

Sorry. I've never been on a website that requires a 3rd party to show an image. I never used photobucket before either. Usually i just post an image from my PC. This site won't allow me to do that for some reason?

Like I said, they market the No. 7 as an all purpose cleaver. In China that means chicken, waterfowl, large fish and light pork bone chopping along with the usual vegetables. I have plenty of real Chinese cleavers that will do that fine but I wanted to try this supposed top of the line Japanese model. I have yet to find a Japanese cleaver I have been really that happy with.
So let me get this straight. You bought a knife from a Japanese maker who uses a japanese kitchen knife forging process that leans towards hardness, sharpened it (I am assuming) on low angles for thinness, did not reprofile the edge for tougher jobs for your own needs, and you blame the edge chipping on poor advertising?

Maybe the Japanese don't give a frack?

They call it an all purpose cleaver, it weights as much as hatchet and it didn't seem that thin edged for a cleaver of its size. They claim their line is the most popular in Japan with chefs in Chinese restaurants. Are those actually Chinese chefs in those restaurants? Is it ignorance or not giving a 'frack?" This is forum for people above average interest in kitchen knives. I try different knives constantly.

They also said I could get 0% APR at my local car dealership. My local politicians like to say they are honest men and women who wish to serve the public. I had a stripper who once convinced me sex was available in the champagne room.

All jokes aside, my main question is did you sharpen the knife before you started using it or did you use it straight out the box?

Straight out of the box edge. Worked fine until it didn't. I probably touched it up on a 1000 grit stone a time or two but I didn't try to change any angles. That is going to change but I really wasn't looking for a specialized bone chopper. All purpose should be all purpose. Among other uses, all purpose type cleavers are what I pick up when I need to make stock.

Well whenever you get around to fixing those angles...

a. If it chips again, I will blame the blade.

b. If it doesn't chip, or even better improves, then I will blame YOU!

Besides, you own enough knives to know not to trust those factory edges. Why are you making rookie mistakes?

Why are you being such a jerk?

In case you missed the memo a majority of the folks here are positive and supportive.

But go ahead and keep offering negative feedback and opinions on tools you've never used. It will do wonders for your reputation.

Back