Chipped my Wife's Favorite Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxxpup

Reaction score
Never chipped a knife before, slipped out of my hand and hit the faucet. Ouch!
Blade is about 165MM long,
Chip is Aprox 3mm long, 1.8mm deep.
Repairable in your opinion/experience?

Attachments

• IMG_3530[24].jpg
    IMG_3530[24].jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3530[28].jpg
    IMG_3530[28].jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 0
You're going lose some height of course, but that's definitely repairable. In a scenario like that to me the question is if you're priority is to repair while removing as little steel as possible, or wanting to stay as true to the original profile as possible. Best bet is probably just to sharpen it out imo. If you're taking it to a sharpener it should be an easy repair for a quality one too (i.e. not one of those idiots with a pull through, or worse yet a bench grinder).

Oh, just noticed you're in Sacramento. If you don't feel comfortable doing that yourself, Gabriel over at Crocker Cutlery would easily repair that and his prices are incredibly reasonable. He's around half the price of most comparable services.

Last edited:
You're going lose some height of course, but that's definitely repairable. In a scenario like that to me the question is if you're priority is to repair while removing as little steel as possible, or wanting to stay as true to the original profile as possible. If you're taking it to a sharpener it should be an easy repair for a quality one.

Oh, just noticed you're in Sacramento. If you don't feel comfortable doing that yourself, Gabriel over at Crocker Cutlery would easily repair that and his prices are incredibly reasonable. He's around half the price of most comparable services.
Gabriel is a superstar, definitely going to take it there. Just wanted to manage my expectations. I've never damaged a knife in this manner before.

It might need a touch of thinning, so you should ask Crocker to assess it once they’ve repaired the chip.

Is it a Yoshikane? If you’re interested in learning how to do the repair yourself this might be a good opportunity to try.

It would probably go away in a few sharpenings
It is even possible to go away in just one sharpening and without losing height. I was able to fix 2 such cases with just one full progress sharpening. In my case it was 400, 1000, 4000. Explanation, which I read on this forum, is that when you sharpen you pull metal towards the edge and it may fill the gap.

It might need a touch of thinning, so you should ask Crocker to assess it once they’ve repaired the chip.

Is it a Yoshikane? If you’re interested in learning how to do the repair yourself this might be a good opportunity to try.
Anyru... Not a terrible suggestion. I don't think this is the one I want to practice on though.

Anyru... Not a terrible suggestion. I don't think this is the one I want to practice on though.
If you want a knife to get your bearings on before you'd feel comfortable tackling this one, I can point you towards some inexpensive ODCs. I was apprehensive about working on my more expensive knives initially, too. I just got a lower cost knife with similarly decent steel and HT to get comfortable with, and then that apprehension faded away.

Last edited:
This is also my wife's favorite knife. Crocker will sort it out, no problem. It's a small chip in the grand scheme of things. These have a pretty concave grind so I don't know that thinning will be all that necessary. Never hurts though.

Back