Chop Shop

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a couple photos of a handle I just put on my dad's Masakage Koishi by Kato San.
This knife was from the first batch which did not come with the kurouchi finish.
The handle is red eye Koa and a Zircote ferrule both from Burl Source with buffalo horn and copper spacers.
View attachment 11556View attachment 11557

Here is a couple photos of a handle I just put on my dad's Masakage Koishi by Kato San.
This knife was from the first batch which did not come with the kurouchi finish.
The handle is red eye Koa and a Zircote ferrule both from Burl Source with buffalo horn and copper spacers.
View attachment 11556View attachment 11557

that looks fantastic! out of curiosity, could you give us a choil and point shot of that knife?

A friend of mine asked me a week before christmas if I could purchase her boyfriend a knife and do a re-handle on it.
Here is what I came up with.
IMGL5288.jpeg

The knife is a 210 Yoshikane SKD
The handle is a block of coolibah burl I scored from Craig Stevens with honey horn ferrule and end cap.
I took a risk on the spacers and decided to put copper directly beside brass, I think it turned out pretty good.
My buddy is an artist and a photographer so he just sent me over this photo, I have him sending me a close up of the handle soon as well.

Very nice handle.
The material colors all go well together.
I am especially fond of the look with matching ferrule and end cap.

Very nice handle.
The material colors all go well together.
I am especially fond of the look with matching ferrule and end cap.

Thanks Mark, I also felt the materials turned out very well balanced from a design perspective.
I would usually go with the thicker spacer material near the ferrule and the thinner near the end.
I tried the opposite this time and I think it worked out well.

I would be apprehensive about the spacers, thinking it out, but wow, glad you went with it. Takes a lot of guts to throw these combos together Karl, sure is paying off for you.

That's my favourite so far. You have a lucky friend-in-law.

Wow! what a nice pics. I like these pics and I also want to sea you more pics because I am chef background and love to good & quality knives.

Here is a little Takeda utility knife. The wood is lignum vitae and zircote.
IMG_4459.JPG

IMG_4460.jpg

That looks incredible! Are some of your rehandles on show at Tosho?

My uncle brought back a slab of lignum vitae from the Dominican Republic a few years back. He since gave up wood working so he decided I should get the wood. It
was his birthday on Monday so my dad thought it would be nice if we got him a knife and I could re-handle it for him with the wood he'd given me.
I used the sap wood for the ferrule which has some specs of green and the heart wood for the main part of the handle. To add a little colour I decided to use a dark green dyed box elder spaceer surrounded by copper and light green dyed maple spacer.
IMG_4415.jpg
IMG_4424.JPG
IMG_4430.JPG

Love the spacer(s) combo. I wish I was your uncle.

All your handles are beautiful and the combinations work so well.

Nice as usual Karl. Is the buttcap actually a piece of wood from the ferrule?
I love the metal spacers too.

So awesome. The lignum vitae handle is so instantly appealing it kills me. Want badly

Thanks guys.
Knerd, the butt cap is a piece of the sap wood from the ferrule.

Nice work! I also like l.v. Bit of a pain to work with but has a nice feel to it.

Stefan

It's been awhile but I've finally found some time to finish theses two up.
IMG_4591.JPG

IMG_4586.JPG

IMG_4592.JPG

Latest posts

Back