Cladded pan vs Disc pan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For boiling water (and other really thin fluids) it doesn't really make one iota of difference. It's not like you can burn water, and a rolling boil is perfectly adequate at distributing the water inside the pot. It becomes a different story once you're talking about more viscous stuff like stews, and might also not be the case for a very low simmer.

But for boiling pasta... nah... just get a cheap disk bottom. A clad pan is likely to be less energy efficient as it radiates more heat away through the sides.
A decent disk bottom also doesn't have to cost a fortune; Ikea has solid disk bottoms, and you can find them at just about any restaurant supply store as well.

What is actually useful IMO is stuff like pasta inserts - even when I mostly use them while boiling potatoes.

Honestly it doesn't matter a whole lot... lately I've been going with the 1 liter water / 10 grams of salt / 100 grams of pasta ratio and unless you're cooking for a huge family that never requires a big pot. But as long as you adjust the salt ratio, it's no problem to cut that water to pasta ratio in half.
My most used pasta pan is actually one of my sauciers, simply because they're my go-to small to mid sized pan.

I was wondering if the type of pot for boiling water matters. Either clad, disk bottom or cheap thin conductive layer.
Is there a reason to invest into expensive pot for pasta?
Just get a decent one that'll hold up. It doesn't have to be expensive or fancy.

P.S. Induction works great for boiling water.

Anything works great for boiling water. :D
It still doesn't beat a simple cheap electric kettle in efficiency.

IMO where induction really beats everything else is in low temperatrure stuff, simmering, reductions, melting chocolate, etc. You can just set it at an energy output that's far lower than most gas stoves.

Back