Coffee gear and discussion thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got a air popper and roasted my first batch of coffee. I wasn't sure if it actually went to second crack but it looked dark enough to me. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

20140916_191125.jpg

I didn't realize it was that out of focus until now. You can get the idea though.

Ahh This photo brings back memory's of when I roasted my first beans. 2 air poppers later. and now on my second real roaster. and Im LOVIN it! Have fun and enjoy!
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

OK so what is the "Ninja" coffee brewer Im seeing commercials for on TV and will I like it? Guess Im gona find out as I am getting one for Christmas this year. :D
I just spent some time looking at it online, and reading about what it does and I gota say im intrigued.. Sorta excited even.. I think its gona be alot of fun. Although, I dont think its gona replace my main brewer. But I do see it getting some use and possibly even attaining a permanent spot on my counter.. Based on what I see.. The functions, if they work as described are great. ALOT of bang for the buck, That said. The name NINJA leaves me wondering if the design and construction will be durable.

Anyone have experience with these yet. thoughts. Input. good or bad.
Im looking forward to hearing from you coffee nuts! and if I dont hear much. Once I get mine I will try and offer some info about this Ninja!

Blessings
Randy

How did the coffee turn out? I have been thinking about roasting my own coffee for years but every time I researched it, it seems to get more and more expensive…

Update on the Coffee Ninja. It does everything they claim. and makes a good cup of coffee. Im stoked. and have been using it for a couple weeks as my morning brewer. And have made a few iced coffee drinks. The blender it comes with is also pretty slick and works great for the few things I have used it for so far. Still not sure its worth the money and or will last the test of time and use. But so far Im hopeful!

Gark. Roasters are not cheap. but in my experience. are worth what ya pay for them if you decide to go this wrought. I just roasted 4 pounds of coffee. 2 Colombian and 2 Hawaiian yesterday and was thinking how many pounds I have roasted in mine in the last 2 years. Its paid for itself many times and brought me much pleasure, both in having fun roasting beans and in trying new coffees from around the globe.

Have fun and God Bless
Randy

Thanks for the Advice, Randy! As far as value, I feel the same way about my espresso machine which costs over $2K but has paid for itself many times over already. I guess we never tell our wives how much we spend on our hobbies (for me guns, knives, motorcyles, espresso, photography....) I would probably be retired now if not for my hobbies : )

.... and another very expensive hobby is Whisky and witnessed by the Yamazaki 18 in front of me right now : )

.... okay, and fine cigars....... but who's counting.....

.... I guess we never tell our wives how much we spend on our hobbies (for me guns, knives, motorcyles, espresso, photography....) I would probably be retired now if not for my hobbies : )

Wives know EVERYTHING. Good one just don't say anything until they need some leverage.

Waking this thread up for other forum newbs:

My longtime gear: Behmor roaster (3rd one, replaced motor and door is held closed by a bungee during roast. They are crap), Rocky grinder, 10 YO Technivorm brewer. Costa Rica Tres Rios Magnolia beans. I used to experiment and especially liked horse hide beans from Yemen. Now just want a consistent cup that isn't stale.

Had the digital hot top, mid-range 'spresso machine, vac pots etc etc. Now I just like simple.

I think I've (we've) said it before: it's easy to make great coffee with a so-so espresso machine and a good grinder, but it's hard to make good coffee with a great espresso machine and a so-so grinder. Spend a little extra money on the best grinder that fits your budget and you will get consistent results once you've dialed in all the parameters. Go with a cheap grinder (like I have) and despite your best efforts, great coffee and a good espresso maker, you'll probably only get one good pull out of three.

Start with a great grinder and a sturdy starter espresso maker like the Silvia v.3 or the Le'Lit P041 and you will be making consistently good shots for years before choosing to upgrade the espresso machine. If you really want even more consistency, get the factory-PIDed 041 or add an Auber Instruments PID to a Silvia and you may never choose to upgrade the machine (I've had my "temporary" Silvia for seven years and if I PID it I doubt I'll every upgrade).

Which is the great grinder to use for this purpose or espresso machine is enough for this? if espresso is ok then which espresso would be best for this?

Which is the great grinder to use for this purpose or espresso machine is enough for this? if espresso is ok then which espresso would be best for this?
That is a confusing question. Are you thinking of some of the 'fully automatic' home espresso machines that have grinders built in? The post you quoted is a discussion about separates -- an espresso machine and a grinder. There are many good grinders for espresso. A Mazzer Super Jolly or relabeled variant (mine is an Astoria) is always a good bet, plus there are always a few used ones for sale online. Visit a seller like Chris's Coffee online and you will find several good makes/ models of grinders optimized for espresso.

Back