Coffee gear and discussion thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys and Gals. Im getting ready to roast my first beans!! I placed a order for a few pounds and am excited about trying this. Yet after reading some of this thread. I have a feeling its gona become yet another addiction, that costs much money and trial and error to get to where I can get constant results and a GREAT coffee! Yet the rewards will be great, and the coffee even better! So Im ready! :cool2:

If I may ask you guys a few questions along the way. I would appreciate any pointers and help ya might give! :thumbsup:

Heres the plan so far. Get beans... CHECK. I have Guatemala beans, Ethiopia, Colombia, and a French Roast Blend. Heading this way, expected first part of the week.

Use a air popper (popcorn) :laughat: to roast the first few batches. also plan to par roast a batch, as well as might try and Bake some?

Finaly after cooling them and letting them rest. Grind and Enjoy. ( I have a one button grinder at the moment ) That is soon to be replaced im sure! :wink:

I think the first or next step would be to purchase a entry level roaster. And more coffee. :D

Im reading reviews, and searching the net and found many choices and options good and bad reviews on the same roasters. and was pointed right back to my popcorn maker. lol
Have you tried or used your air popper to roast beans? if so, how did it do? What roasters would be recommended under 200.00 that actually works well and would make dark roast?

Well the beans arrived this morning and I roasted 2 batched, Here are some images.

Any advise as to how long I have to let them rest B4 grinding and brewing would be appreciated.

AEB-L paring knives 002 (800x533).jpg

AEB-L paring knives 003 (533x800).jpg

Looks like a good roast. You will find air popper roasting and drum roasting will create a slightly different taste (if you decide to get a drum roaster). Resting is a bit subjective, and the usual recommendation can depend on the bean...Sweet Marias and Roastmasters will many times give you recommendations. I'd say at least 24 hours. A fun thing to do is to try it at every time interval i.e. right after roasting, 24 hours, 48 hours, etc. You can really learn about the beans and their maturity/flavor potential. Just remember that the CO2 release will be much higher the closer to the roast, so a lot of blooming will happen (grinds will "bloom" when you put hot water over them). Usually a well rested bean will have minimal blooming, but just enough to prove it is still fresh. Some roasts, particurally espresso roasts, recommend resting for 5-7 days to get the right flavor profile out of them.

I think you will find roasting beans a science, much like baking is a science. People can get real techy with gadgets and DIY set-ups in order to be able to repeat roasts. Seems like you have the ability to do well with it, keep it up!

So far its been alot of fun, after roasting a couple pounds with the air popper. I was HOOKED and went ahead and picked up a Drum Roaster and a Burr grinder! :) Looking at a new brewer at the moment!

Having a blast!
Randy

Very cool, when I grow up I want one of those...

Stefan

Great to see other people roasting in here as well :)

Randy, did you like the result? Looks like quite a dark roast by the oily sheen.

Randy: Looks great! I have been roasting for about a year with my hottop, another drum roaster. I too love it. I imaging you have found sweet marias, but if not check out their website. If you are looking for an esspreso machine, check out wholelattelove.com. How do you like your Behmor? Anyway good luck and enjoy. ERIC

Dieter, Im having a blast trying new beans from around the globe!

The coffee was a little over roasted.. OK maybe alot for most peoples tastes. But I mixed it with another batch that was a bit under roasted in my opinion. and come up with a great combination that really has a deep rich taste. :)

Main thing is, Im enjoying my coffee more then ever. The new roaster is doing a great job. and Im having great success at doing 1lb at a time, which I read was not something this machine did well. I added a photo of the last 1 lb batch I roasted.

Eric. I have found Sweet Maria's and thats where I ordered my first beans from. I got the Bemore at Roastmasters.com They had free shipping!! and sent along a 10.00 coupon of my next order and 8 pounds of beans. :)

Now Im hooked. lol. I think the next purchase will be a better coffee maker. Im open to suggestions. Was hoping to stay under 150.00 for it. But after looking at the fancy ones on the coffee sites. I see thats gona be hard to do.

God Bless.

coffee 001 (800x533).jpg

Just grab a French Press Randy. It doesn't have to be expensive. :cool2:

Dave, I seen them and was actually planning on getting the Aeropress. (I think its called) single cup press that also doubles to make espresso. Yet would love one that makes 10 cups of coffee. Ill have a look tonight and see what I find. Thanks

I know some of you have way more elaborate setups and top-shelf grinders and machines (oh, how I yearn for an Andreja Premium), but does anyone have experience with Hi-Tech Espresso in LA?

I've long wanted to PID my Silvia and was ready to send my cash to Auber Instruments, but I wonder if Hi-Tech's rants about (against) Auber hold water. Hi-Tech won't sell the PID kit, I'd have to ship them my Silvia and let them do the mod. Even so, that ~$300 investment should help my $600 toy play more like a $1500 vibe machine until I can justify the big upgrades (I'll need a top-shelf grinder before I even consider something superior to the Silvia).

Any thoughts?

Randy, If you like a more clean cup you should also consider a Hario V60 (or similar). Great coffee!

The Kenya looks good Eric. I had a few pound of it and its now gone :( I roast mine a bit darker.

OK. I have a question. Im ready to invest in a coffee pot. Yep its time. Suggestions welcomed.

a few things I would like. Carafe pot. low profile.
a few things I dont need . Brew timers. digital settings.

Please give me some input.
Randy

Randy did you find any Morels this spring? I never did get out to look like I had hoped. :(
For Coffee I think you were right on track with either an Aeropress, FP or Hario. Heck you can buy all three for a fraction of what many electronic coffee contraptions cost and they will all work better. If you want a carafe just but a separate carafe or make fresh coffee.

Dave

We did get out and found a good batch of Shrooms. And as always . Enjoyed every bite! Im gona try and take a walk this weekend to a location I have found the Large white morels. heres a picture of the first finds of the season.

Im all about doing what you suggested. But my other half wants to be able to brew a pot of coffee. So Im looking for a pore over style pot at the moment. Has anyone tried Cuasanart? I found a nice looking set up with a grind and brew feature. Where the grinder is built into the pot.

Randy,

Don't buy the Cuisinart. The grind and brew sounds convenient, but what do you do when it breaks? I had one before I became knowledgable about coffee and it sucked. This is why I don't like multi-taskers in electronics, too many things can go wrong and affect the whole thing. Plus the grinder sucks and the water doesn't get hot enough to extract properly. I have a Technivorm brewer I rarely use, but if I were to buy again I would get this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005YQZNO8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Randy,

Don't buy the Cuisinart. The grind and brew sounds convenient, but what do you do when it breaks? I had one before I became knowledgable about coffee and it sucked. This is why I don't like multi-taskers in electronics, too many things can go wrong and affect the whole thing. Plus the grinder sucks and the water doesn't get hot enough to extract properly. I have a Technivorm brewer I rarely use, but if I were to buy again I would get this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005YQZNO8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Why would you get this Bonavita over the Techivorm?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum, and was delighted to just discover this gem of a thread. One of my other hobbies/passions is coffee. I've been roasting for 11 years and have gone through a ton of machines and grinders in that time. We just remodeled our kitchen a few years ago and designed it around our Elektra T1 espresso machine. I'm currently using that machine with a Mazzer mini, use an Aeropress with a Zassenhaus grinder when I'm traveling, and roast with a Behmor. Here's a shot I posted to instagram of some latte art in my morning cup.

ScreenShot2013-06-02at91332PM_zps04fea0f0.png

Glad to be here and I look forward to the discussion.

Jeff

AFKitchenKnivesGuy: I'm curious about the Bonavita. I've not used it before, and don't read much on drip coffees since I drink mostly espresso, so wasn't aware of it. How's it stack up against the Technivorm? Is it a simple matter of the water being precisely set at the optimum temperature or is it customizable like the Behmor Brazen? I've not used the Brazen before either, but saw an early product demo at our local roasting club. The owner/inventor, Joe, is part of the group and showed it to us all before taking it to SCAA for its debut. But, I had to leave before tasting anything from it. I've contemplated getting a new drip machine for variety and the Brazen was going to be the top choice, but if the Bonavita is recommended it may be worth consideration.

Thanks.

Jeff

AFKitchenKnivesGuy: I'm curious about the Bonavita. I've not used it before, and don't read much on drip coffees since I drink mostly espresso, so wasn't aware of it. How's it stack up against the Technivorm? Is it a simple matter of the water being precisely set at the optimum temperature or is it customizable like the Behmor Brazen? I've not used the Brazen before either, but saw an early product demo at our local roasting club. The owner/inventor, Joe, is part of the group and showed it to us all before taking it to SCAA for its debut. But, I had to leave before tasting anything from it. I've contemplated getting a new drip machine for variety and the Brazen was going to be the top choice, but if the Bonavita is recommended it may be worth consideration.

Thanks.

Jeff

Just to be clear, i've never used it. When I am not drinking espresso based drinks, I am usually a french press guy. I don't see much difference with it compare to the Technivorm other than one being hand built versus machine built. The Brazen is another good choice (I have a Behmor myself and it's good quality for price). We are starting to see a lot of great options for home brewers as technology in the industry becomes normalized, and the prices in turn are coming down. When I bought the Technivorm many years ago, there wasn't many options for a properly brewed drip machine. Considering the price, either the Brazen or Bonavita seem a good choice.

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum, and was delighted to just discover this gem of a thread. One of my other hobbies/passions is coffee. I've been roasting for 11 years and have gone through a ton of machines and grinders in that time. We just remodeled our kitchen a few years ago and designed it around our Elektra T1 espresso machine. I'm currently using that machine with a Mazzer mini, use an Aeropress with a Zassenhaus grinder when I'm traveling, and roast with a Behmor. Here's a shot I posted to instagram of some latte art in my morning cup.

ScreenShot2013-06-02at91332PM_zps04fea0f0.png

Glad to be here and I look forward to the discussion.

Jeff

Nice latte art!

Cool thread. I've been dying to get a rocket espresso cellini, but the price is a bit above my budget and there are no deals on these guys :(

Thanks guys for the input. I am going to buy the Bonavita.. Ill let ya all know what think of it once It arrives and I have had a chance to brew some coffee through it.

I also secured a Bunn which will be for summer camping trips and a backup. Just in case.

Blessings
Randy

For you guys who like latte art, here's a link to the best howto videos I've found on the topic:

http://www.howcast.com/guides/1067-How-to-Do-Latte-Art

Unfortunately, the series doesn't really address my biggest weakness, which is the ability to regularly create microfoam. I was doing well on my old espresso machine (La Spaz vivaldi), but with the newer beefier setup, I always get air bubbles.

Great thread, hadn't noticed it before.

Vinster, thanks for that link, excellent videos. I had a lot of trouble getting good microfoam on my Pasquini Livia 90 when I first got it, one thing that helped was changing out the stock nozzle. The original nozzle had four larger holes which made controlling the steam flow difficult and resulted in lots of bubbles, the new one I picked up had 2 much smaller holes and that gave me much more control on the flow and my mircofoam improved greatly.

Back