Coming down the pike

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will have two of these ~240 x ~55mm gyutos in the store Friday. They will both be ground with an emphasis on performance. What I mean by performance is how much force it takes to separate veg.

zciGmKql.jpg

Ian, how does this performance grind compare to the 2 I have? Similar or different?

Ian, how does this performance grind compare to the 2 I have? Similar or different?

The two you own were ground with an emphasis on food release, so a "heavy" convex followed by a hollow up top. If I am thinking food release on an off the shelf knife, I would think of a Kato.
These will have a "light" convex followed by a hollow up top. If I am think of performance on an off the shelf knife, I would think of a Kochi.
The hollow up top in the performance grind will aid in food release but it won't have as much food release as the food release grind.
As an FYI to anyone reading, I do designate this in the knife description in my store.

I'll add that if anyone has a question about one of my products please contact me. I would much rather see a client with the right knife than sell the "wrong" knife just to make a sale.

52100/15N20 damascus
315 layers
performance grind
carbon fiber ferrule and Mr. Farley's buckeye burl
First of the year to get the signature

TdynEpml.jpg

Uy2Do1sl.jpg

Nice one Ian. I'd love to see some more pics of that buckeye on the handle. Super-cool dammy pattern also.

Thanks, I think the buckeye matches the dammy well:

0DSGS8bl.jpg

Booty shot:

3JsROe0l.jpg

WOW!!!!!! SOOO CLEAN!!! love that simple and sexy look. WTFerrule?!?!? The carbon fiber is absolutely stunning. Sweet makers mark btw. I want one so bad it hurts ... LUH DAT BUCK AHH BURL !!!

This dammy/buckeye gyuto will be in the store tomorrow along with a gyuto in 52100, a carbon fiber bolster, and an angled double dovetail handle.

7Db0Gvxl.jpg

The two you own were ground with an emphasis on food release, so a "heavy" convex followed by a hollow up top. If I am thinking food release on an off the shelf knife, I would think of a Kato.
These will have a "light" convex followed by a hollow up top. If I am think of performance on an off the shelf knife, I would think of a Kochi.
The hollow up top in the performance grind will aid in food release but it won't have as much food release as the food release grind.
As an FYI to anyone reading, I do designate this in the knife description in my store.

That's useful, Ian. When I see a knife advertised, usually my first question is: what is the grind? Just one question: you mention the Kochi as a performance knife. Whereas I agree that this knife has a great performance, it is still quite thick at the spine. If I'd have to mention a knife that requires the least pressure to push through food, I'd mention a laser like a Konosuke. Or do you mean something else?

I have used Konosuke HD2's and also their wide bevels and I think they are good performers for sure. The Kochi Migaki is my preference by far, the one that I have performs really well.
I wanted to make a compound ground knife which provides very good performance while providing decent food release. It would much easier to grind a thin single ground knife such as the HD2's that slides through veggies but doesn't do much for food release.

Oh snap! That looks like his performance grind.
Ian, how tall at the heel is this one?

52100 & performance grind
Price will be $550 & $595
No presale, thanks! :D

212mm:
Y2X9dK3h.jpg

CjmHPFAh.jpg

It's interesting how little the difference is between the sizes. Which I guess shows you that the labor costs are basically the same with just a small savings on the blade material. Ian, the handle on the 243 is outstanding, love the finish on both blades. What woods were used?

Bun in the oven:

UYICtk3h.jpg

Mixed with grandma's teeth:

eTZ4MnXh.jpg

It's gonna be a freak party.

MMmm...I like the thought of that Matus, but...

Another one I'm working on is this carbon fiber and mammoth tooth set :spiteful::

3dqj9bHh.jpg

Back