Complete and utter newbie

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I know it is non-stick but my fiance is not so certain so I figured enamel would be a good way to ease him in to it. Besides, as we're in the South, I'm sure I can find one at a thrift store or yardsale...it's probably cheaper and more non-stick than new!

Where would I look for the Sabatiers? I just looked some up; does the blade material matter much? What exactly about the euro style finger guard will make sharpening difficult down the road?

We are not out on our own. We will not be until towards the end of June, after we get married as we're both still in college. (Also, we won't "really" be completely out until the end of the summer when we move down to my college. We'll be living right next door to his parents and just a few streets away from mine.) But, when I get "home" for the summer, between now and our wedding, I will be cooking in order to learn.

Aww, thanks! I wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting as it's an area I am completely useless in and the registry was one of my jobs. (He's not much of a shopper.) That would be marvelous but it may be better to wait a week or two if possible. I'm currently still at college and I already don't know how I'm going to fit everything back in two cars to get it home! (I'm an art student so I have more stuff than the normal college student , and truthfully, more than most of my art student friends.) I'll be home in just over a couple weeks; we end later than most. I'm a little afraid they'd arrive here at my college and I'd be gone or they'd arrive at my house without me there, especially since you're in Canada, if I gather correctly. (I've had some things shipped from Canada and the timing is anywhere from a week to two weeks, at least from Saskatchewan, I believe.) Would it be possible to PM me a shipping estimate if you can guess? I'd have to put it in my budget so I know what I have to save this month.

On the steak knives note, would you guys gather that the languiole ones I posted were okay (http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/home-tabletop-dinnerware/073587.jsp) or would Forschner ones be better? The art student in me loves color and to be honest, not many good cooking tools are colorful so I take every chance if it works just as well. (Yes, my fiance is okay with the color...most kitchen stuff is not colorful so he gets his way there about 90% of the time. Plus, the chance of us eating steak is none-to-slim for a good while.)

I vote that you go with those steak knives from Anthopologie. They will work just fine, and if you want to add some color to your kitchen tools that's a great way to do it.

The Laguiole site has these in a wooden tray for €12. So you might be able to find them somewhere in the Americas in the tray (block? Box?)

I'd take up Lefty's offer in a heartbeat.
Not just because they are nice knives, but because you know they'll come sharp!!!
What a generous man.

+1 on taking Lefty up on his offer. Gift from a wise man.

77Kath, where did you find them on their site? I could not find them anywhere else! And, to be honest, if no one buys us anything like that, I'll probably go on ebay; I saw several similar ones on ebay but it's a little tacky to put ebay items on a registry. ;) (It's too bad though...there are such fabulous items there. You know you were raised frugally when you find yourself wishing ebay, Ross, and Marshalls had registries! :lol2:)

Googled Laguiole knives and got their website. it's on the fourth page, near the bottom. The one without the tray is also there. They are certainly more interesting than my Wustie steak knives.

Odd. I have searched through their website and couldn't find anything! I tried googling it and still, nothing. Is there a link to where you found them? I found some on Amazon as well; there seem to be two levels of quality as some are running $50-$70 where the others, very similar looking, are running $250. I wonder why.

Plus a lot more. They claim to be the official web store. The name of the line seems to be Attitude.

Googled Laguiole knives and got their website. it's on the fourth page, near the bottom. The one without the tray is also there. They are certainly more interesting than my Wustie steak knives.

They do not seem to be the same knives.
http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/home-kitchen/073587.jsp
http://www.laguiole-attitude.com/en/cutlery-set/128-ambiance-presentation-box-with-6-knives.html
http://www.laguiole-attitude.com/en/cutlery-set/125-presentation-box-with-6-vibrantly-colored-knives.html

One says steak knives, the other table knives.
One has knives with 3 pins, other with 1 pin.

As to which is better, I can't tell you.
They do look pretty though.

Odd. I'm looking exactly where you checked (Googled "Laguiole knives", checked the first 4 pages) and I don't see them anywhere on their page!

Whoops; just saw that. To be honest, I'm a tad nervous that those ARE so much cheaper that they're not the real brand, esp since they have "attitude" after it. I think I'm going to stick with the first ones; if no one buys them for us then I'll get a set off ebay that comes with a wooden box.

Thank you all for your help. If we did end up buying a gyuto, what would be good options? Gyuto or Santoku?
'

Oh, I guess at this point this could theoretically be redirected into the "not knife related" but if anyone has suggestions on kitchen items...like, what is completely useless and what actually makes sense to buy (for relatively new chefs with a teeny kitchen, or the lasts-forever-for-when-you-have-a-big-kitchen)? I figure most of you guys must like to cook if you're into kitchen knives ;)

Oh, I guess at this point this could theoretically be redirected into the "not knife related" but if anyone has suggestions on kitchen items...like, what is completely useless and what actually makes sense to buy (for relatively new chefs with a teeny kitchen, or the lasts-forever-for-when-you-have-a-big-kitchen)? I figure most of you guys must like to cook if you're into kitchen knives ;)

Cast iron skillets. Inexpensive, last a lifetime and more, cook really well. I've got a range of sizes, but mostly use just two: the 12 inch and the 6 1/2 inch. The 12 inch is a bit of a behemoth, but when you're pressed for space, you can just store it on the range top.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006JSUB/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Once you get them, scavenge thrift stores or what have you to find lids to fit.

Everybody's definition of useless will vary, but I would say pretty much anything that only does one thing isn't earning its space. Popcorn popper, for instance. Use the big cast iron skillet. Garlic press? Use your chef knife. Food processor? Use your chef knife. The nice thing about nice knives is that they obviate a bunch of other stuff that people seem compelled to buy and/or give you.

Mixing bowls are super-handy. A stock pot and colander, also handy. A saucepan or two. People seem to have way too many of these, not sure what compels them.

As far as electric gadgets/appliances go, I'm old school. I think the only electric appliances we've got are a coffeemaker, a microwave, an immersion blender, a regular blender, and a mixer, and that's in a big kitchen. Oh, and a couple of grinders (not essential)- one for coffee and one for spices. When I was in a very small kitchen, of that list I only had the blender and the coffeemaker (and it was a small one). I generally used the small cast iron to heat things up, like leftovers etc. I use the big cast iron as a toaster, but that's probably a bit too hair-shirt for most folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with Mario. You may not be superstitious but the knife gods are.
I'm telling ya, you need as much mojo as possible to live the rest of your lives together.

Careful -- knife obsessions can get in the way of a perfectly good marriage.

One other question: immersion blender vs. blender vs. stand mixer vs. food processer vs. hand mixer. What's the deal? What is useful, what is not useful, which are useful and which are useless/accomplish-tasks-the-other-does?

And neither of us are obsessed with knives; I came here to find out what was good as neither if us know anything about them.

This is an old article from the NY Times that I think is worth a read given your situation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/09/dining/09mini.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

Best of luck with everything!

Solid article on what's essential. Though I'd think that food processor is non-essential as well. All the items you listed (immersion blender, blender, stand mixer, food processor, hand mixer) have some utility, but it really depends on what you cook. But since you stated cheap foods and stir fries, these electronic equipment aren't necessary and take up a lot of space (you mentioned a tiny kitchen).

As for knives, the Forschner/Victorinox recommendations are good. While they may not be the most gift like of knives, they are incredible practical and very reasonable knives. Like others, I agree that you don't want to buy a block or a set. Buy a chefs, paring, and bread knife. If you want a knife with a smaller handle, then look for a small chefs/gyuto or santoku for yourself as well. Also, buy a wet stone to keep your knives sharp.

Since you mentioned making bread, are you looking to make country loafs or your standard sandwich loaves? If you're looking to make country loaves, then register for either a Lodge combo cooker or a 5 - 6 qt dutch oven. You can make some pretty amazing bread with those cookers. And they can also be used for soups, stews, and braises too.

Congrats on your wedding!

Thanks so much! That article was pretty good. I registered for a (cheaper) ninja blender so I think we're set as far as a food processor goes, if need be. I'd agree though it's not necessary as I think my mom only brings hers out a few times a year. I'll probably still ask for a stand mixer as I can't cook but I can bake well. (And if need be, it *can* stay at my parents house while we have the ultra-tiny kitchen.)

I'm taking Lefty up on his offer and registering for a bread knife. I think my dad has wet stones for sharpening; when I left for college, he started taking up shaving with a straight razor so either he'll have extras or know where to get one.

I was thinking probably sandwich loaves but I'm not real picky. I think we've already registered for a 5-6qt dutch oven, actually.

Thanks!

Everyone on here is so nice and helpful. Thank you so much as I knew next to nothing.

Latest posts

Back