Considering taking a class in charcuterie

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
should be fine, you just need to cook it enough to release all that gelatin, collagen and gooey goodness.

Chinese Braised Pigs Ears
Ingredients:
▪ 4 pig ears, properly prepped
▪ 4 cups water ml water
3/4 cup soy light soy
▪ ½ cup mirin
▪ ½ cup shao xin wine
▪ 4 tbsp of palm sugar
▪ 2 inch chunk of ginger sliced
▪ 1 cinnamon stick
2 star anise
½ cup hoisin
1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns
zest of two oranges use peeler

Method:
▪ Clean the ear and remove the hair with a disposable shaver and/or blow torch
▪ Add all the seasoning and spices into the water with the pig ears into a pot. Bring it to a slow boil, turn down the heat and allow it to simmer for about 5 hours
▪ Thinly slice the pig ears and serve. Save the stock

Grab a copy of "Charcuterie" By Ruhlman. Really good stuff in that book that's easy to follow.

this was a book used in my garde manger class awesome book and it helped my instructor was a charcuterie master

I lost track of this thread being in my busy season. Did it get anywhere? Has anyone been PM'd any information?

I'll extend the same offer to you sir. I'm typing up a little course for Mike, and I can easily cut'n paste and send it in your direction. Maybe I'll start a charcuterie thread with some basic instructional info...

Hey, just posting up the info for everyone would be great if you could. I would appreciate the info.

Thanks

I haven't made Sachems ears but I am working on 10 LBS of back strap belly and 10LBS of Jowls. The Jowls are going to be a PIA to clean as they have the skin on and then I have to remove all the salivary glands. good think their easy to spot.

Sachem, I was going to more roast belly like this pic. Do you prefer Jowl or Belly for this purpose? Also, I've pan fried it both ways (skin on and skin off), seems like most people take the skin off. I kinda like the chichirone crunch of it? Of course I remove any hair stubble first.

Belly fan, and you have to have the skin. No self respecting Asian would it if it didn't have skin on it.

Back