Considering taking a class in charcuterie

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for not getting back to a couple of you guys who sent PM's. and yes I'll be glad to send the sausage info to whomever is interested. I've had a stupid week at work training new hires, putting out fires(figuratively), wasting my time at restaurant auctions, menu planning, and dealing with random headaches involving the new restaurant designs. I promise I'll get the sausage info typed up, just might take a bit longer than I thought. I talked to John(Johhnychance) about doing a charcuterie sticky, and he's all for it. So if anyone wants to get in on that let me know. Maybe I'll just save the sausage basics for said charcuterie thread as a starting base? Let me know if that works for you guys.

Cheers,

-Josh

That def works. I'm down for whatever works for you. I appreciate you putting the time in on this and both my wife and i will read it intently :)

Waiting eagerly! Thanks for your willingness. There are few things I like more than cured pig.

Very interested in a charcuterie thread!
I have experimented but would love some guidance from someone actually making the product.

Glen

Hi, I am new to this forum, but I am also interested in a CHACUTERIE and SAUSAGE making class in SEATTLE, can you please give me links or places I can check out. I tried to write to SALUMI by Mr BATTALI but no one responded to me, I was interested in a class if they knew or offered one. Would appreciate any leads or tips, always looking forward to learning. Thank you in advance.

I'd be most interested, thanks.
Sorry for not getting back to a couple of you guys who sent PM's. and yes I'll be glad to send the sausage info to whomever is interested. I've had a stupid week at work training new hires, putting out fires(figuratively), wasting my time at restaurant auctions, menu planning, and dealing with random headaches involving the new restaurant designs. I promise I'll get the sausage info typed up, just might take a bit longer than I thought. I talked to John(Johhnychance) about doing a charcuterie sticky, and he's all for it. So if anyone wants to get in on that let me know. Maybe I'll just save the sausage basics for said charcuterie thread as a starting base? Let me know if that works for you guys.

Cheers,

-Josh

Here is one you don't find very often in the states, unless you go to China town. Asia has a great sausage tradition and one of my favorites is a dried smoked sweet sausage called lap cheong. It is often times served diced up in fried rice or in bao's but, one of my favorite ways to eat it is sauteed up wit some onions garlic and Chinese black mushrooms. I also love it charred on a grill with and ice cold tsing tao. oooh! and sticky rice mixed with boiled peanuts scallions, lap cheong and oyster sauce.
This is a recipe I modified and developed at SavorNy when I was the Chef there.

Lap Cheong
Chinese sausage is a dried, hard sausage usually made from pork meat and a high content of fat. This sausage is normally smoked, sweetened, and seasoned. Chinese sausage formulations are unique, based on a long tradition. Ingredients such as monosodium glutamate, soy sauce and sugar are added to the sausages in very high levels. This is because there was no refrigeration until fairly recently and meat is used more as a condiment or flavor enhancer rather then a major portion of the meal. The addition of selected Chinese rice wines or even scotch or sherry are common for certain quality products.

Meats....................................................... Metric..... US
pork butt (If using lean pork or lean pork trimmings add 30% of back fat)....... 1000 g..... 2.20 lb.
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat

Chinese rice wine or brandy ................... 40g..... 8tsp
soy sauce ............................................. 40g..... 8tsp
salt ...................................................... 23g..... 4tsp
cure#1 ................................................. 2.5g..... 1/2tsp
brown sugar ......................................... 40g..... 8tsp
sugar ................................................... 10g..... 2tsp
ground star anise ................................... 2g..... 1tsp
ground cinnamon ................................... 2g..... 1 tsp
ground Sichuan pepper............................ 2g..... 1tsp

Instructions
1. Grind pork and back fat through ⅜” plate (10 mm).
2. Mix all ingredients with meat.
3. Stuff firmly into hog or sheep casings 18-26 mm and form 5-6” (15 cm) long links.
4. Ferment at 38º C (100º F) for 12 hours, 90-85% humidity.
5. Apply light smoke at 45º C (115º F), 70% humidity for 6 hours. The sausage is still fermenting (F-LC culture is able to produce lactic acid at this temperature).
6. Gradually increase smoke temperature until internal meat temperature becomes 154º F (68º C).
7. Store sausages at 10-15º C (50-59º F), 75% humidity.
Notes
The traditional Chinese way, still applied today, is a time consuming operation of cutting meat by hand into small cubes. Chinese are fond of using MSG (monosodium glutamate), but it may be removed from the recipe. it has been removed in this recipe.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

Sachem , are these the skinny links hanging in the windows in Chinatown or down Main St in Queens? They used to be a treat.

I've been making a lot of bacon and beef jerky lately. Also, started to make cured & smoked beef sticks as well. My coworkers love this stuff, I can't make enough. There are quite a few simple kits that make the process easier these days. I am probably going to make a canadian bacon log soon (basically cured pork loin). When I finally retire and am able to settle in one place, I'll start doing a dry aged sausage. Let's keep this thread going!

Have you been smoking the bacon on the BGE?

I've beem very making charcutterie for years. Ruhlman's book does expose the art but is hardly the last word. Personally my sausage bible is http://www.amazon.com/dp/0982426739/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Makde these fresh sausages this weekend

Chourico Cured sausages

Pancetta

For sausage Forumlas Len Poli is the gold standard

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage recipes.htm

I've made hams, tons of cured sausages, slim jims, aged jowls, aged bacon, smoked bellys... Let me know if you have any questions:

Tool recomendation:
A Porkert hand grinder #12 will be fine, you don't need electric unless your doing tons of product

To stuff the sausage get a 5 pound or more vertical sausage stuffer
Use only natural casings (Butcher Packer)

Get some Sodium Erythrobate, Dextrose, AmesPhos or FAB will go a long way to improve texture, moisture and taste.

Good luck. Oink Oink

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice meat, bro :) Look at that flex! But on the real, you sausages look real pro.

Thanks Jay thats quite a complement coming from you. It was a cooking phase I went through. I'm not making cured meats much anymore but had to restock the freezer.

I've been wanting to do a Chinese style Pig Ears. I haven't done that yet. I'm pretty sure its a terrine. Does anybody have a recipe for that one? Brainsausage/Sachem any ideas on an recipe/approach for Chinese Pig Ears?

Great stuff, might have to try this in the future.

Thanks Jay thats quite a complement coming from you. It was a cooking phase I went through. I'm not making cured meats much anymore but had to restock the freezer.

I've been wanting to do a Chinese style Pig Ears. I haven't done that yet. I'm pretty sure its a terrine. Does anybody have a recipe for that one? Brainsausage/Sachem any ideas on an recipe/approach for Chinese Pig Ears?
are you talking the head cheese style pigs ears and snout with peppercorns and gelatin?

Here is a classic Vietnamese version of Pig ears and snout. I love this one.

Gio Thu (Vietnamese Headcheese)

4 Pig Ears
2 Pig Tongues
2 Snouts or Cheeks or both
2 1/2 tbsps Fish Sauce
2 1/2 tbsps Sugar
1 tbsp Salt
1 tsp ground pepper
2 tbsps roasted whole Peppercorns (tiêu hột)
1 cup shredded or whole Black Fungus (nấm mèo) soaked for about 20 minutes or until soft and drained
Cooking Oil
6 Cloves Garlic, minced (make about 2 1/2 tbsps minced garlic)
2 Shallots, minced
1 medium Onion, for boiling meat
1 tbsp Salt, for boilling meat
2 tbsp Sugar, for boiling meat
2 tablespoos of Salt, for cleaning the meat
1 cup Vinegar, for cleaning the meat
2 empty medium size round tin cans (empty fruit cans) and plastic sandwich bags
Preparing Meat

Clean the pig ears, tongue, snout with water, salt and vinegar thorougly. Rinsed. scrub it good.
Boil meat in a large pot with onion, sugar and salt for about 45 minutes or until you can poke a choptick through the pig ears, tongue and snout . Drain and rinse cold water until cool. This will prevent the skin of the pork from turning color.
Cut the pig ears thinly.
Discard the thin white layer on top of the tongue by using the slicer to slice it. Cut tongue thinly.
Certain part of the snout might still has hair, so be sure to shave it clean. Cut snout thinly.

Mix the meat in a bowl with ground pepper, whole peppercorns, sugar, salt, fish sauce and fungus.

In a large pan, heat a couple tablespoons of cooking oil and saute the shallots and garlic until it becomes fragrant. Add the meat mixture and saute until you notice the meats become viscous sticky, usually about 10 minutes.

Molding the Mixture

use empty ridge-free walls fruit cans such as the jackfruit or lychee cans. Line the cans with sandwich bags and tightly pack the cans with the mixture. Every spoon of mixture you add in the mold, press it down firmly to compact the mixture. Close the bag then place something heavy on top to compact the contents further. Store in the fridge overnight.

Remove it from a mold and wrap it up in banana leaves or plastic wrap and aluminum foil.
Keep refrigerated until ready to use, serve in sandwich

The differences in the Chinese version is that you would use soy sauce instead of fish sauce, add star anise, cinnamon and maybe some orange zest oh and lots of msg.

OMG Sachem, I'm going to do it. Do you think that it would work finishing in bain marie or sous vide might work as opposed to stove top? That way I could put the mixture in terrine pan and vac seal, then sous vide? Maybe at 129 degrees for 12hrs? Then rapid cool. Either way, this isn't the recipe I was thinking about.

The version of Chinese Pig Ears i'm thinking about is more like braised shingled ears cooking in a hosin base sauce. The ears are then slices cross-section very thin.

Back