Couple of Sharpening ?'s

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The blade road is from the shinogi line down to the edge. You just lay the knife down flat on it. Also, no. None of what you just said made any sense. :razz:

Dave explained it better than I did - I was having troubles hitting the blade road and was trying to ask if hanging the knife off the side of the stone would be okay to do.
I've found it's safer to the appearance of the knife to hang the section of the blade that you're not working with off of the side of the stone. So in this case you're working lengthwise down the edge of the stone vs corner to corner.

With this knowledge I think I'll be able to touch up the knife and make it look better. However cutting wise it's great! I'm probably worrying about this all too much and should just try to have fun learning. :)

Sounds like the blade road just needs to be flattened more. That's why I recommended using a lower grit stone to remove the steel faster and get the job done. A 5k stone will only polish or pre polish the road and take you forever (i.e. never)to flatten it, not to mention it will eat up your stone before you even get anywhere.

The blade road on many knives can and will come with both high and low spots on them. You'll never get them out on your first try nor should you even try to. You'll just get frustrated, feel defeated and give up hope. Eventually over time after several sharpening sessions it should work itself out naturally if you are diligent and doing it properly.

Dave explained it better than I did - I was having troubles hitting the blade road and was trying to ask if hanging the knife off the side of the stone would be okay to do.

With this knowledge I think I'll be able to touch up the knife and make it look better. However cutting wise it's great! I'm probably worrying about this all too much and should just try to have fun learning. :)

I think its ok to do so, but take notice that some people claim that there is a different feeling when you cut stuff... I am one of those person's, and there is nothing wrong with the feeling nor does the knife cut better or worse, just different.

So I decided to sharpen up my stainless 210mm Yoshihiro. I could not quite get it to where I have my Zakuri and was hoping someone could perhaps give me a pointer or two.

Here is the blade after I took it to the stones. http://imgur.com/a/Xb5vN

I am not able to push cut paper as well. I tried the blade on a potato and it did fairy well. I then tried to cut a thick carrot and that is where I noticed a big difference between the Zakuri and the Yoshihiro.

Sharpening wise I went from my King 1k, deburred on a felt block, then felt pad. Next I went to my Suehiro Rika 5k stone, deburred the same way, then stropped on leather with 1micron diamond spray.

From as far as I can tell the bevels look okay. Should I try to lower my angle or perhaps do some thinning?

Unless you care more about pretty than performance, I wouldn't worry about getting the blade road perfectly flat. As you use up your knife your blade road will flatten gradually.

wedging with the carrot? The yoshihiro is thicker behind the edge than the zakuri.

Edge sharpness should be better with the zakuri, but the yoshihiro can get shaving sharp

Yes I had some wedging with the carrot. I know that I should be able to get the Yoshihiro sharper, but it seems to more difficult for me to do so, but I know it is due to user error. I imagine part of that is to do with the thinness and perhaps because the Zakuri is carbon?

I'm trying to find out technique wise what I can do to improve, are there any other "tests" per se or things I could do or try to further evaluate and improve the edge?

yeah... carbon is often much easier to sharpen than stainless and the yoshihiro is on the tougher side

if you want to go over sharpening in more depth, give me a call or bug me on skype and i'd be happy to spend some time on this with you

Will do! Thanks. :doublethumbsup:

yeah... carbon is often much easier to sharpen than stainless and the yoshihiro is on the tougher side

if you want to go over sharpening in more depth, give me a call or bug me on skype and i'd be happy to spend some time on this with you

After talking to Jon I was able to get the knife much sharper. Push cutting paper is a lot better, cutting a potato was improved and I could even shave arm hair. Still room for improvement I'm sure, but a lot better.

One thing I noticed is when stropping on leather, I heard some crackling like sounds. To me it sounded like little pieces of metal were being ripped off. Is that normal?

After talking to Jon I was able to get the knife much sharper. Push cutting paper is a lot better, cutting a potato was improved and I could even shave arm hair. Still room for improvement I'm sure, but a lot better.

One thing I noticed is when stropping on leather, I heard some crackling like sounds. To me it sounded like little pieces of metal were being ripped off. Is that normal?

That means the burr is being removed. That's a good thing!

That means the burr is being removed. That's a good thing!

What is interesting to me is that this was after I had cut into a hard felt block and stropped on a hard felt pad. Good to know that it's a good thing. :D

Back