Cpm 10v gyuto passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blank Blades.

Blank Blank.
KKF Supporting Craftsman
Reaction score
I'm currently working on a custom in 10v for someone here, and they proposed possibly doing a passaround with it. I thought it was a great idea. Since I'm sure most here likely haven't tried this particular steel, and if they have they likely haven't tried it tempered in the lower range. Also, i think it's a great opportunity for people to try something I've made.

The knife is currently still being worked on, so i don't have the absolute final dimensions for it, but length is going to be around 220-230, around 50mm tall. Vintage micarta, and brass handle.
It will be full convex in the style I normally do that. Which is basically like the geometry of a wide bevel but then convexed over.

Hardness is 66.5 hrc.

The reason i mention the lower tempering range thing. Is because tempering in the 1000f+ range significantly effects the corrosion resistance. Because the chromium leaves solution (where it needs to be to help with corrosion) in the form of tempering carbides. Also, for steels like 10v, you get lower toughness for a given hardness when tempering higher. All this is to say, you get overall better properties tempering lower.

Since this is 10v, which has just under 10% vanadium, and roughly 17-18% carbide volume of vanadium carbide. I do think i should mention sharpening. I personally don't recommend using aluminum oxide abrasive for this. At the very least it will cut the steel very slowly. But in my own experience, the edge left by traditional stones feels smoothed over, and not sharp. And from the testing i've seen it leads to inferior edge behavior.

I will update this with specific dimensions, and pictures once i get it done. Currently I'm expecting to be able to get it finished in the next 1 or 2 weeks give or take. The expected beginning of the passaround will be updated closer to when it gets finished. But for now people have plenty of time to join in.

The passaround is united states only. At the end the knife will come back to me to repair any damage, thin it out again, and repolishing before it goes to the person buying it.

The limit on the number of people for it really will depend on how many people are interested in trying this out.

Sorry for this being long winded I might put a post below with just the details about the passaround, and the knife.

Passaround order:

@Godinlhi
@Gshep91
@Malcolm Johnson
@M1k3
@Barmoley
@mrmoves92
@timebard
@jedy617
@Justinv
@brimmergj
@nopomo
@kpham12
@Juna
@Jf1026
@SwampDonkey

Last edited:
I am in and I would recommend others to join as well. I've been messing around with a 4V version and it is very good. Corrosion resistance is very good and significantly better than I expected. 10v should be similar in corrosion resistance with even better edge holding. 4V has impressive edge holding already, so it will be very interesting to see how well 10v does.

So is that 14 so far?

I think it should definitely be no more that 20 probably. Because i doubt by the time it gets that far the geometry is probably going to be thickened up a bit, and it probably wont be quite the same representation of the steel/knife at that point.

its getting to be full but if there is room, I am in. Pacific NW if it matters for order.

I'll get order figured out a bit closer to the finish of it after the list closes. 15 so far. The cap is 20 for sure. But i think even 15 might be a good place to close it. Depending if any others really, really want to get in or not

I can hardly imagine it'd need sharpening given the steel, but I'd love to try your work as well. I have a K390 blade from @Andrei that I really appreciate and would enjoy the comparison.
In. (If you'll have me).

So is that 14 so far?

I think it should definitely be no more that 20 probably. Because i doubt by the time it gets that far the geometry is probably going to be thickened up a bit, and it probably wont be quite the same representation of the steel/knife at that point.
What edge angle will be put on this blade? Do you sharpen on diamonds, CBN or both? We really like CBN edges on all our K390 blades.

I can hardly imagine it'd need sharpening given the steel, but I'd love to try your work as well. I have a K390 blade from @Andrei that I really appreciate and would enjoy the comparison.
In. (If you'll have me).
Ok i'll add both of you in. So its 17 now. The hard cap is 20 still. And I'm fine closing it here. But again if others want to join in thats fine until it gets to 20.

As far as sharpening. I mention it, because I imagine people may just want to sharpen it, to see how it sharpens.

What edge angle will be put on this blade? Do you sharpen on diamonds, CBN or both? We really like CBN edges on all our K390 blades.
I sharpen them freehand, so i don't have an exact angle. Roughly 15 degrees though.

And i use bonded diamond stones to sharpen any of these steels. I go to a roughly 1000 grit equivalent diamond stone. Then strop on 1 micron diamond spray. Thats how i do probably 90% of my edges. Sometimes i will go to my venev 1200 (i think its about 3-4000 grit) if i want a bit more polish, then do the 1 micron strop. Or stop on my venev 240 then strop.

Back