Cpm 10v gyuto passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My sharpening experience was like others above. I just used edge leading strokes on the Venev 800 for a touchup and it was tomato whittling sharp in a couple minutes. The effort was similar to a carbon steel knife on that stone. I skipped the strop as it was good off the stone. I can’t skip the strop with my K390 knife, it isn’t tomato whittling sharp off that stone.

Interestingly the edge angle felt natural to me. I’ve had other passaround trials where it felt noticeably different angle than my own knives and I had to adjust. Not this one. Its probably a meaningless observation.

One thing, that i didnt mention before, about touching the knife up. And i think its relivant. I just didnt think to say it.

The reason i personally would use a lower grit, is the slicing edge retention will be better using something like f400, or 1000 jis. You could go like f240, or 400 jis even. But i think the 1000ish grit would be better for people to do touch ups. Since its a passaround.

Also, i imagine the knife is getting a decent ammount of use. If it isnt removing enough steel to form a burr, theres a potential for fatigued steel being left, and premature dulling from microchipping (like actual microchipping, not small chips you can see with a naked eye)

Thank you for the comment. I don’t regularly dip into lower grit stones for maintenance. The venev 800 is a favorite of mine for sharpening and touchups and I rarely go coarser unless thinning is required. It makes a good edge for general use on many steels. Again, the venev 800 is around 2500 JIS. I found it finer than a vitrified diamond 3000 stone I recently tried.

This knife was sharpened by prior users so maybe steel fatigue is an issue. I noticed notable deterioration in sharpnesses from my week of use and this class of steel should easily handle the limited use I gave. Others mentioned it was extremely sharp after a few prior users.

To me, venevs finish a good bit higher than the grit rating they are designated with. Which is why i just basically say the f400, is 1000 instead of 6 or 700, 240, to me is basically a 400, my 1200, is pretty much the same as a 6000. And the 2000, well. That one is different because of the agglomeration that happened.

To me. I generally think for steels with a lot of mc type carbide to really shine, 1000 is a good stopping point. A really nice bitey edge deburred well ime does really nicely with them. Again, potentially even coarser but it wouldnt make sense for a pass around.

If only I could actually buy a venev 240/400 stone. I’ve been looking for one for months.
The king 1000 i got recently is pretty nice. Its expensive since its only one stone, compared to 2 combined. But its still a lot cheaper than buying an nsk. Or something.

Allow me to get the easy part out of the way early. I thoroughly enjoyed this knife. Was it perfect, no. But pretty damn close.

Handle
My one knock would be about the handle thinness. A little bit more thickness would have been my personal preference. I'd be curious to see how a yo handle from micarta would look and feel like. Maybe a custom is in my future.

Blade/Cutting
The blade is simple, elegant and beautiful. It has a great helt and authoritative cutting feel. I really enjoyed the blade forward balance.

I don't have any diamonds stones, so I didn't get to feel how it took and edge. I didn't have any issues with the edge during use.

There was no issue with cutting thru various ingredients. Maybe a slight touch of hesitation that a teeny bit thinner edge would solve, but nothing to worry about. The profile and shape fit well with my cutting style; reminded me of a more beefy Toyama.

Overall
As I started the review with, I really enjoyed this knife and definitely see myself reaching out for something similar in future.

Thanks a bunch to the buyer and @Blank Blades. for allowing this pass around to happen. Great blade and great people!

Yeah, the handle thing. It's going to be mentioned in every review, and I think has already in everyone else's.

It's a shame I didn't realize yet when this one was sent out, that for thicker bolsters and the exact shape i needed to shorten the neck to get peoples handle placement in the right spot.

Back