Cpm 10v gyuto passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like the easy solution is diamond plate + spray or venev + spray. We are talking very cheap, easy and effective solutions, hard to understand why anyone wouldn't just do this.
Yeah diamond plates now days are pretty affordable. If it was me and I was trying to spend the absolute least ammount of money that would be what I would do.

Welp, didn't take long to start this right.
Great looking knife!
Got it ready for action and immediately rough chopped some onions to braise pork belly.
Feels good in hand. Performed good for what little was cut. Will be running it through it's paces.
PXL_20240101_201346989.jpg
PXL_20240101_201355618.jpg
PXL_20240101_201734649.MP.jpg
PXL_20240101_203240048.jpg

Hows it going with the blade?

Also, seems like it has gotten a decent ammount of use so far from the people that have had it. Any sign of a patina starting at all?

Generally my own really dont form much if any, but I treat them like a carbon steel out of habit.

Nice.

I now that lines up with more what I expected. I have had a few people. While no ones has rusted, have picked up some patina. I probably just comes down to how they use it.
K390 is also surprisingly corrosion resistant in the kitchen. You did a low temper on your 10V gyuto, right? Have you also tried 10V with high temper? If yes, is there a big difference in corrosion resistance?

K390 is also surprisingly corrosion resistant in the kitchen. You did a low temper on your 10V gyuto, right? Have you also tried 10V with high temper? If yes, is there a big difference in corrosion resistance?
Would BB's WIP thread be more appropriate for these types of questions to not clutter up the PA thread?

Thread 'Blank blades WIP Thread.' Blank blades WIP Thread.

Let me start off with thanking @Blank Blades. for doing this pass around.

Some of my thoughts on this blade after using it for a week. Fit and finish is great. Everything feels well made. Everything is smooth, no sharp corners or anything. Very comfortable to use.

Getting to the good stuff. Cutting!
Food release was phenomenal! One of the best I've ever used. Great cutting feel. No cracking or wedging. Nailed being in that Goldilocks zone. Not to thick, not to thin.

Steel is great. Sharpening was straightforward with diamond stones. Edge retention is great. Wish I had more time to use it to see how long I could keep a working edge. I definitely can tell it'd last longer than Z-wear/CruWear.

Overall, this knife is fantastic.

Only quibble for me, would be the handle needs to be a little bit thicker where it meets the neck of the knife. But this could be chalked up to user preference, more than anything else.

Overall, this an excellent knife and @Blank Blades. has really done his homework. Would definitely recommend knives made by him.

Let me start off with thanking @Blank Blades. for doing this pass around.

Some of my thoughts on this blade after using it for a week. Fit and finish is great. Everything feels well made. Everything is smooth, no sharp corners or anything. Very comfortable to use.

Getting to the good stuff. Cutting!
Food release was phenomenal! One of the best I've ever used. Great cutting feel. No cracking or wedging. Nailed being in that Goldilocks zone. Not to thick, not to thin.

Steel is great. Sharpening was straightforward with diamond stones. Edge retention is great. Wish I had more time to use it to see how long I could keep a working edge. I definitely can tell it'd last longer than Z-wear/CruWear.

Overall, this knife is fantastic.

Only quibble for me, would be the handle needs to be a little bit thicker where it meets the neck of the knife. But this could be chalked up to user preference, more than anything else.

Overall, this an excellent knife and @Blank Blades. has really done his homework. Would definitely recommend knives made by him.
Thank you for your write up.

On the neck/handle thing. So on the batch I'm working on now, i have found whats going on, and the solution. So the difference between the batch that came out that this knife is from, i started adding a bigger bevel on the sides of the bolster to transition to the neck.

What I should have done, and will do on the knives i do this type of bolster on, is have a shorter neck. Since the bolster tapering almost acts like the neck itself, it is effectively making it seem too long when holding it.

So on the batch im doing now, i went back and shortened all of them. and in the future i will likely make them even shorter.

Thank you for your write up.

On the neck/handle thing. So on the batch I'm working on now, i have found whats going on, and the solution. So the difference between the batch that came out that this knife is from, i started adding a bigger bevel on the sides of the bolster to transition to the neck.

What I should have done, and will do on the knives i do this type of bolster on, is have a shorter neck. Since the bolster tapering almost acts like the neck itself, it is effectively making it seem too long when holding it.

So on the batch im doing now, i went back and shortened all of them. and in the future i will likely make them even shorter.
That's one solution. Also if the taper in the handle happened mainly near the neck, that would help.

Took 4 days to travel 60 or so miles, but it is here safe and sound.

The knife as it arrived to me is

226x49.7 at 224g

The balance is excellent for me being blade forward in pinch, just the way I like it.

PXL_20240120_222317823.jpg
PXL_20240120_223125450.jpg

I now understand why some people want a slightly thicker handle. I have a knife with a very similar handle that I find comfortable, but the bolster on my handle is much shorter so functionally the neck on my knife is shorter as well. I think the solution to shorten the necks with these handles will work as will Mike's suggestion of starting the handle taper closer to the neck.
PXL_20240120_225209703.jpg

226x49.7 at 224g

The balance is excellent for me being blade forward in pinch, just the way I like it.

View attachment 294577View attachment 294578

I now understand why some people want a slightly thicker handle. I have a knife with a very similar handle that I find comfortable, but the bolster on my handle is much shorter so functionally the neck on my knife is shorter as well. I think the solution to shorten the necks with these handles will work as will Mike's suggestion of starting the handle taper closer to the neck.
View attachment 294580
Yeah. Thats why i really like the shorter neck solution. Specifically with thick bolsters. Mostly because i really like how the handle feels with the appropriate neck length for the bolster material thickness. And the taper on the bolster.

Provided the owner of the passaround knife is alright with it i will shorten the neck on this one also before it goes to them. When i touch it up.

226x49.7 at 224g

View attachment 294580
It's a little worse than 60 miles in 4 days. We're 49 miles away from each other.

Should have just dropped it off at his house lol.

I cant remember if there are a couple people in the same general area in cali or not.

Idk cali that well, but i kinda tried keeping it grouped close together there

226x49.7 at 224g

View attachment 294580
No patina after all those tomatos?

No patina after all those tomatos?
Nope. Same for my 4v blade and that cut onions, tomatoes, etc. I don't leave my knives dirty, but these steels with @Blank Blades. heat treat certainly act semi stainless. Stands to some reason if all the chromium is free and not tied up in carbides. There is around 5% which seems pretty effective, not stainless by any means, but much, much less reactive than the low alloy steels.

Last edited:
The knife is on its way to @mrmoves92 . I replaced the box with a better one since the original was in a bad shape. Thank you to @Blank Blades. and the owner of the knife for the pass around. I enjoyed the knife very much. The grind is excellent, good separation as well as food release. The edge profile really works for me and I very much enjoyed the balance. The steel with this heat treat seems to be very corrosion resistant. I cut tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, potatoes and sweet potatoes. The knife performed very well on all these. As is the knife is excellent, for my personal knife I would want the neck shorter, which I believe will be changed and maybe a slightly reshaped tip. The tip works great as is I just visually prefer a slightly different shape, but this is very minor and not something I would be concerned about. A week is not enough to test edge retention on this steel in home settings, so hard to comment on this. My own knife in 4v from @Blank Blades. holds an edge very well, I would expect this 10v knife to last even longer. Fit and finish is very good and the knife is comfortable to hold. Bottom line, excellent knife anyway you look at it.

Arrived with me safely on Thursday. Nice knife, great solid feel in hand, cuts well, very nice release as convex knives go, has some Shihan vibes in terms of balancing cutting performance vs. sturdy feel on the board. Sat in steak juices for a bit and took zero apparent patina. Fit and finish is lovely. I agree with what's been said above about the narrow handle and ergonomics, don't have a lot to add there.

How'd it go?

I am sorry for not writing a response earlier. My work week was pretty busy, and I didn’t find time to write a thoughtful response.

It went really well. I liked the knife a lot, and I will be messaging you very soon (hopefully later this weekend) about ordering a knife from you.

What I liked:
  • cutting performance
    • Thicker at the spine but nice and thin at and behind the edge, so it cut really well.
    • When cutting thicker (>2”) slices of larger carrots, it would slightly crack the carrots, but no worse than most of my knives, including ones that are generally thinner. This isn’t a complaint. My point here is that this knife won’t cut like an extreme laser because it isn’t one, but it still cuts really well.
    • The polish was nice and didn’t cause any issues like drag or stiction.
  • Food release
    • Really nice, predictable food release, especially without an s-grind or hollow forged area.
    • Even when food stayed on the blade, it was never really stuck, and it could be wiped off easily.
  • Fit and finish
    • Really comfortable. The choil and spine were really nicely rounded and polished, and the balance of the knife fit my preferences.
    • Nice looking polish on the blade.
    • I really liked the profile. I was worried that it would be a little curvier than I prefer, but it wasn’t, and it felt great in use.
  • Steel
    • I like simple, low-alloy steels because they are easy to touch up, and I don’t need edge retention as a home cook, but I was impressed by the steel. It arrived pretty sharp, and after the week where I only used the pass around knife, it was only slightly duller (but practically just as sharp), when I would expect one of my low-alloy knives to dull a bit more and maybe wanting a touch up. I’ll probably generally stick to simple steels, but I am definitely more open to trying some fancy steels in the future.

What I didn’t like:
  • Handle
    • As mentioned by other members, the front of the handle is too narrow, even for me - a small handle enjoyer.
    • I wasn’t drawn to the shape, but I would probably want to try a bigger one to compare. Also, I dont care too much about handles, so it probably wouldn’t matter.
    • The materials and finish level of the handle were nice though.
That’s all that I can think of for now. I really enjoyed this knife. Other than the handle, I only have positive things to say about it. I enjoyed using this knife enough to want to add something similar but bigger and in a simpler steel from @Blank Blades. to my collection.

Below are some pictures of the knife that I took before packaging it up and sending it.

IMG_4931.jpeg
IMG_4933.jpeg
IMG_4934.jpeg
IMG_4935.jpeg
IMG_4936.jpeg

I am sorry for not writing a response earlier. My work week was pretty busy, and I didn’t find time to write a thoughtful response.

It went really well. I liked the knife a lot, and I will be messaging you very soon (hopefully later this weekend) about ordering a knife from you.

What I liked:
  • cutting performance
    • Thicker at the spine but nice and thin at and behind the edge, so it cut really well.
    • When cutting thicker (>2”) slices of larger carrots, it would slightly crack the carrots, but no worse than most of my knives, including ones that are generally thinner. This isn’t a complaint. My point here is that this knife won’t cut like an extreme laser because it isn’t one, but it still cuts really well.
    • The polish was nice and didn’t cause any issues like drag or stiction.
  • Food release
    • Really nice, predictable food release, especially without an s-grind or hollow forged area.
    • Even when food stayed on the blade, it was never really stuck, and it could be wiped off easily.
  • Fit and finish
    • Really comfortable. The choil and spine were really nicely rounded and polished, and the balance of the knife fit my preferences.
    • Nice looking polish on the blade.
    • I really liked the profile. I was worried that it would be a little curvier than I prefer, but it wasn’t, and it felt great in use.
  • Steel
    • I like simple, low-alloy steels because they are easy to touch up, and I don’t need edge retention as a home cook, but I was impressed by the steel. It arrived pretty sharp, and after the week where I only used the pass around knife, it was only slightly duller (but practically just as sharp), when I would expect one of my low-alloy knives to dull a bit more and maybe wanting a touch up. I’ll probably generally stick to simple steels, but I am definitely more open to trying some fancy steels in the future.

What I didn’t like:
  • Handle
    • As mentioned by other members, the front of the handle is too narrow, even for me - a small handle enjoyer.
    • I wasn’t drawn to the shape, but I would probably want to try a bigger one to compare. Also, I dont care too much about handles, so it probably wouldn’t matter.
    • The materials and finish level of the handle were nice though.
That’s all that I can think of for now. I really enjoyed this knife. Other than the handle, I only have positive things to say about it. I enjoyed using this knife enough to want to add something similar but bigger and in a simpler steel from @Blank Blades. to my collection.

Below are some pictures of the knife that I took before packaging it up and sending it.

View attachment 301201View attachment 301202View attachment 301203View attachment 301204View attachment 301205
Yeah. Hopefully the handle thing wont be an issue in the future at all.

I've actually moved towards changing the shape of my choils, at least in this current batch (which is a pretty big batch), which i think will work well. I'm kinda doing that more rounded shaped choil/neck area. Like you might see on a lot of japanese knives. Idk if im describing it well. But i've always liked that style but just didnt make any active attempts at it, for whatever reason.

I'll find a pic of what I mean.

Anyway, thanks for the write up!

Back