Cpm 10v gyuto passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to get in on this if it isn't too late. I messaged @Blank Blades recently about getting a knife of his in 2024.

I would like to get in on this if it isn't too late. I messaged @Blank Blades recently about getting a knife of his in 2024.
At this point it might be.

Depending on the state you live in maybe 2 people on the list can fit you between them. But its fairly late at this point.

At some point it goes from the east coast to florida. I cant remember who is where. But you can maybe slide in there.

I could see aeb-l, and 13c26 being more dependant on that. Since theyre ingot steels. I imagine the processing could have a big impact.

Also, idk how strict they are with 13c26 on their sulfur and phosphorus levels. If the tolerances arent as high that could effect it.

But anyway. I think for pm steels it doesnt make a huge difference, from what I've seen. Like m390, 20cv, 204p. They are basically identical.

The real thing that is going to matter, is the heat treatment as far as how one performs vs the other (disregarding geometry of course). Also who knows. Maybe one heat to the next the difference seen due to different levels of the alloying elements, you could even see a bigger difference between the same steel, than from one vs the other.
Larrin just put out a new video very relevant to the topic

Yes, sorry. I’ve been really busy at work with holiday events and haven’t had much time to put my notes into paragraph form.

First thing I noticed picking it up is the balance is very nice. Seemed heavy initially but it just disappears in your hand once you start cutting. I really enjoyed the tapering of the handle as well as the geometry. It made for a snug and comfortable fit for me. The convex grind was immediately noticeable too.

Prepped dinner at home a few times and cut some choi sum, onions and soft tofu. All very enjoyable especially when using the tip for the onion. That thing is sharp and made quick work of everything. What stood out the most was quartering black oyster mushrooms the next day. They have a tendency to bruise or snap when slicing into certain shapes. The knife slid right through and I was able to trace the natural shape to get the perfect cut without damaging the mushroom at all.

I got to use it at work for a few days too. Very smoothly cut around 25# of carrots with no issues wedging. Went through a case of zucchini and this is where the grind definitely shined. The food release was great as zucchini has a desire to stick to the blade. Again the fine tip came in handy breaking down heads of broccoli into presentable florets.
Thinly slicing scallions was very nice as well, no bruising and all clean cuts.

It is a pretty badass all around knife. Small enough to not think twice about bringing it out. But substantial enough I didn’t feel like I needed to reach for anything larger, which is one of my main issues with knives under 240mm. I can’t think of anything I disliked about this knife.

I don’t think I had it long enough to truly judge the edge retention. But it was definitely sharper than I expected it to be when it left me. I imagine it won’t need to be sharpened very often. Overall I enjoyed my time and it was an eye opening experience as far as CPM steels.
Thank you again for including me in the pass around!

Last edited:
Happy to report the knife has arrived. I will include a cork for the tip from here on, since the blade did start to shred the styrofoam and even started to poke through the box. I’m very happy the knife didn’t receive any damage because of it. I’ll include extra pics of what it looked like (including tip pics) as I opened the box and removed the top layer of packing material.

Initial impressions are about as high as I can give. I usually don’t like mono steel brushed blades… but this is beautiful. Great for and finish (rounding of the spine and choil are some of the finest I’ve ever held), the handle is exceptionally comfortable to me, and the balance feels great for this style of knife. Can’t wait to start using it. Christmas Eve dinner prep is gonna be funnnn.

Attachments

• IMG_2488.jpeg
    IMG_2488.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2489.jpeg
    IMG_2489.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2490.jpeg
    IMG_2490.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2499.jpeg
    IMG_2499.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2500.jpeg
    IMG_2500.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2501.jpeg
    IMG_2501.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2503.jpeg
    IMG_2503.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2504.jpeg
    IMG_2504.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2515.jpeg
    IMG_2515.jpeg
    991.1 KB · Views: 0
Happy to report the knife has arrived. I will include a cork for the tip from here on, since the blade did start to shred the styrofoam and even started to poke through the box. I’m very happy the knife didn’t receive any damage because of it. I’ll include extra pics of what it looked like (including tip pics) as I opened the box and removed the top layer of packing material.

Initial impressions are about as high as I can give. I usually don’t like mono steel brushed blades… but this is beautiful. Great for and finish (rounding of the spine and choil are some of the finest I’ve ever held), the handle is exceptionally comfortable to me, and the balance feels great for this style of knife. Can’t wait to start using it. Christmas Eve dinner prep is gonna be funnnn.
Yeah. I really should have mentioned. Part of using that method includes actually taping the knife down into the foam. 😬

Anyway glad it made it there fine.

Just curious, what is the edge angle on this knife? Is it the same on the entire edge length?

Made miso soup for brekky this morning. Scallions (both raw and tossed in oil then torched) were a breeze and it practically ghosted the mushrooms. The profile is very easy and I can tell this grind is going to be great for cutting and food release. Even with the oily, tacky scallions, stickage wasn’t really happening. I’m really impressed so far.

Just curious, what is the edge angle on this knife? Is it the same on the entire edge length?
I think I sharpened it last and did it free hand. Been a long time since I measured my own angle, but I’d guess 15ish degrees per side. Both sides the same and not conscious change in apex angle from heel to tip.

I’m more leery of thickening up a grind than eking out the perfect apex tbh
Rightly so, and I didn't mean that as a shot at you. Just made me laugh thinking about how I'd have that thing under a microscope. I think I'm a fairly decent sharpener until PA knives come along and that confidence disintegrates.

Curious to see how long the edge last through the pass-around, @Malcolm Johnson how is the keenness? Wasn’t my finest ever edge, but I was reasonably happy and would have used it personally without blinking.
It saw decent use before it got to me for sure, it would only tear paper towel. But after a few good stropping swipes on a 1k and 4K it was doing fairly easy swirls in paper towels.

The actual secondary edge bevel? If so, it at least should have been when it left me. Though, i sharpen freehand so show knows if there is some tiny variance.

The primary bevel. Like the grind changes from heel to tip. Which is part of doing a distal tapered, wide bevel type of grind, which this is based off of, but convexed over.

The angle is more obtuse at the heel, and more acute as it moves to the tip.

Sounds right, I bet with just diamond loaded stropping it’d last a few more stops at least before it wanted a fresh apex. Good steel
Really. Unless the edge is very degraded. This is what i recommend for touch ups.1 micron diamond.

Will bring back the edge, remove very little material, and the it shouldn't really diminish performance like Al2O3 will tend to. So i think it will give a better idea of the performance of the steel.

That is, if the apex doesn't get rounded from too high of an angle or too much pressure.

Last edited:
Christmas Eve is my family’s heavy meal day and I loved using this knife. It’s confident in so many ways and I really find myself liking it more and more. Definitely adding blank on my “to own” list. Excellent grind and such a confident and comfortable knife to use. From cabbage, carrots, wet potatoes, sweet potatoes, alliums, etc….. this thing is so fun. Here’s a bonus vid of some vertical onion slicing and a picture of the choil that shows the geometry a bit better.

IMG_2519.jpeg

Ok. So i decided to go ahead and try some stuff out sharpening 10v again. On my para 3 reblade. Same ht, 66.5 hrc.

These are the stones i tried.

Gritomatic 120 (sic)
King 220 (going by how it looks my guess is green sic)
Cerax 320
King hyper soft 1000
King 1.2k
Naniwa 4k hayabusa
Also went back and tried the fine side of my crystolon.

I did each stone, saw how sharp I could get it off of the stone. Then after following with 1 micron diamond spray on leather.

All had a very noticable improvement in keenness after the diamond spray. I definitely recommend using that if you want to sharpen these steel, but not buy a diamond plate for some reason.

The ones i thought might be worth while.

Gritomatic 120.
The norton crystolon fine.
If you wanted mid grit, both kings were similar. And ok if followed by the diamond spray.

I think the crystolon of all of them is the best option.

But i think really. Buy a dmt coarse. You can get one pretty affordably and they work very well, then follow that with the 1 micron spray. That gives something I can almost equate to the kind of edge you get off a 1k stone on a steel without vanadium carbide. (Obviously using bonded diamond is the actual closest)

Were any of those edges close to what you can get with diamond stones? Or did they lack the aggressiveness and bite of a diamond/CBN edge?

Were any of those edges close to what you can get with diamond stones? Or did they lack the aggressiveness and bite of a diamond/CBN edge?
I don't think they were quite what i can get with diamond.

I ended up at the end putting on an edge with 1k bonded diamond, and 1 micron diamond spray. This edge was definitely noticably better. Much cleaner, and aggressive in the sense that a very sharp edge is.

Now maybe if i spent even more time on these other stones. I could have gotten them even better but idk that for sure. Though, like i mentioned i think a big part of the results i could get was because i was following the diamond spray on leather.

maybe even if i had a coarser diamond spray on wood i could have even gotten better results.

Sounds like the easy solution is diamond plate + spray or venev + spray. We are talking very cheap, easy and effective solutions, hard to understand why anyone wouldn't just do this.

Back