CPM-D2 Gyuto Pass-Around (Proposal)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pic for confirmation.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Took the knife out for work today and it’s truly an exceptional work knife. Feels very stable and tough while having excellent cutting ability. I was doing prep throughout service today and I’m glad I had this one. I’ll gather more thoughts on it as I use it more, but I’m a fan!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Took the knife out for work today and it’s truly an exceptional work knife. Feels very stable and tough while having excellent cutting ability. I was doing prep throughout service today and I’m glad I had this one. I’ll gather more thoughts on it as I use it more, but I’m a fan!
@captaincaed and I are big fans of the background! 🫶

I basically used the passaround as a template for my next Msicard custom.
Distal taper ✅
Blade thickness ✅
Profile✅
different steel different handle and lefty asymmetrical grind.
D2 is admittedly not my thing but I did briefly touch it up on a Morihei 4k which is not the fastest stone and it responded pretty well. If I needed a stainless (it’s semi but basically acts stainless) I’d keep it in consideration.

As a bystander walking by I would be concerned if I saw you.
Plenty of checking before I took the pic hahahaha, had to share! Also, here’s a choil shot since I’m not sure if there is one posted. Great grind and I’d definitely use this as a consistent work knife.
IMG_2600.jpeg

I basically used the passaround as a template for my next Msicard custom.
Distal taper ✅
Blade thickness ✅
Profile✅
different steel different handle and lefty asymmetrical grind.
D2 is admittedly not my thing but I did briefly touch it up on a Morihei 4k which is not the fastest stone and it responded pretty well. If I needed a stainless (it’s semi but basically acts stainless) I’d keep it in consideration.
Keep in mind d2, and cpm d2 are the same composition, but the microstructure is very different.

D2 does obviously have giant carbides, which leads to toughness issues, and poor edge stability. Cpm d2 that isnt an issue. In fact Its probably one of the better readily available high alloy steels. That doesnt have a large vanadium addition. Imo.

Yeah the knife is a good all arounder. Both in terms of profile and grind where it can take on rougher stuff if you wanted it to. With regards to what @Blank Blades. was saying I’m sure he’s right but in this case on a pass around those sorts of nuances will more likely reveal themselves after daily use and repeat sharpenings, not so much mild testing.

Nice! I'm glad you're liking it! Have you touched it up at all?
I stropped it on my gesshin 1k when it arrived to revive the edge and that’s it. I love this d2 and similar semi stainless steels for that reason. Feels like a carbon steel in a lot of ways but less maintenance when you’re in the weeds at work

Back