CPM-D2 Gyuto Pass-Around (Proposal)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, I've got a preliminary list drafted up. Ideally I'd like it to pass through the hands of professionals first, so that's how I've arranged it. If I've missed anyone who is cooking professionally or if there are any other issues please let me know so I can revise the list.

The Canadian Leg

@zizirex -BC -Pro -Current location
@LewRob80 -ON -Pro
@Scott -ON

U.S

@birdsfan -PA-Pro
@Chang -PA -Pro
@FishmanDE -NY-Pro
@labor of love -LA-Pro
@Malcolm Johnson -UT-Pro
@M1k3 -CA-Pro
@ch_br -CA
@Gshep91 -CA
@superworrier -CA
@Barmoley -CA
@xsmx13 -CA
@timebard -UT
@AT5760 -NE
@More_Gyutos -FL
@SwampDonkey -FL
@nickrut -GA
@Heckel7302 -IN
@Up_dog128 -NC
@Justinv -NY
@brimmergj -VT
@ian -MA

Last edited:
Alright, I've got a preliminary list drafted up. Ideally I'd like it to pass through the hands of professionals first, so that's how I've arranged it. If I've missed anyone who is cooking professionally or if there are any other issues please let me know so I can revise the list.

The Canadian Leg

@zizirex -BC -Pro
@LewRob80 -ON -Pro
@Scott -ON

U.S

@brimmergj -VT-Pro
@birdsfan -PA-Pro
@Chang -PA -Pro
@FishmanDE -NY-Pro
@labor of love -LA-Pro
@Malcolm Johnson -UT-Pro
@M1k3 -CA-Pro
@ch_br -CA
@Gshep91 -CA
@superworrier -CA
@Barmoley -CA
@xsmx13 -CA
@timebard -UT
@AT5760 -NE
@More_Gyutos -FL
@SwampDonkey -FL
@nickrut -GA
@Heckel7302 -IN
@Up_dog128 -NC
@Justinv -NY
@ian
@ian is in Boston

Although I appreciate being labeled a Pro, I'm am only a home cook. Probably makes sense to move between Justin and Ian. Just glad to be a part of the fun
Whoops....not sure how I did that. Corrected.

Its a long list. I would suggest considering adding a spa day in the middle.
Yeah, I'm hoping at worst it needs thinning. It would be a bit of a waste if I did it though, I've only got diamond stones. I wonder if there are any enterprising sharpeners on the list?

Yeah, I'm hoping at worst it needs thinning. It would be a bit of a waste if I did it though, I've only got diamond stones. I wonder if there are any enterprising sharpeners on the list?
I'm right in the middle of the pack and could take it in to Crocker Cutlery if it needs it.

It came, Thank you Canada Post (pun intended)

I just came home I didnt have time to Take a pic in a better Lightning.

Will try it tomorrow for real test.
4E89A5DA-8F0F-4C7D-A47D-B01F72B88823.jpeg

May I propose we ship this in order of convenience? I.E. east to west coast or vice versa? It might be slightly cheaper on everyone’s wallets. Personally, I know birds fan, chang and I can just do hand offs

May I propose we ship this in order of convenience? I.E. east to west coast or vice versa? It might be slightly cheaper on everyone’s wallets. Personally, I know birds fan, chang and I can just do hand offs
I personally don't mind, but, you know. I'm not running the show.

I...I feel like I'm not seeing something or aware of something that you are....? That's essentially how I tried to arrange the list just prioritizing professionals first. I'm open to potential amendments though. We have time.

It is, but with a couple other factors added in

Canada west
Canada east
Pro east
Pro west
Amateur west
Amateur east

Certainly limiting border crossing makes sense. The “pros first” was something @MSicardCutlery wanted to do an I’ve got no problem with it. Being so far down the list I’m not expecting to see it until sometime early 2024 (hopefully). These things take a long time no matter how you slice it.

I think it looks fine, first by category then by location.

Shipping from CA to Arizona just cost me $7 and shipping to NY cost me $10.50.

Shaving a day or so per person is kinda negligible with this many participants lol

First Day of using the knife, I have the early version of this knife to compare, but mine have more workhorse grind.

Rough pic that I took
F4FEEB0E-D052-4446-9A53-579C26865715.jpeg

D04170EE-93A5-4059-AAEE-CB02810B2491.jpeg
81BB75D8-4F3C-4C5A-922B-54EFFC45682E.jpeg

Attachments

• 6A159C65-2EB2-4237-ACC3-FE490F6CB149.jpeg
    6A159C65-2EB2-4237-ACC3-FE490F6CB149.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 221F2216-09F2-4607-B649-5D20233A9A74.jpeg
    221F2216-09F2-4607-B649-5D20233A9A74.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 0
First Day of using the knife, I have the early version of this knife to compare, but mine have more workhorse grind.
Ah that's right! I forgot you had the original.

Zizirex was the first to commission something sabatier styled. A fairly thick (4mm) MagnaCut workhorse with minimal distal taper. I used that knife to make the pattern that I used for the PA knife.

Well, I’ve been able to use this gyuto for a little over a week both at home and at work for both prep and service.

First notes, the way the knife looks and feels, great size, taper, grind, mid weight abilities and handle feel are all exactly what I enjoy in a pro setting. Grind absolutely glides through onions and shallots, larger vegetables are no problem as well and food release is pretty decent which makes it enjoyable for longer/larger prep jobs. Handles detail cutting and fine cutting of herbs quite easily as well and does not feel cumbersome.

Was obviously excited about the steel, as I’m typically a non-stainless fan myself and with my typical work knives, the idea of not having to worry about what I’m cutting or wiping the blade constantly (even though I still do) was enticing. The edge was still phenomenal. I typically touch up my work knives every week as I really enjoy the fresh off the stones bite, but this stuff really holds. Cutting on ****** restaurant cutting boards, slicing cooked steaks, mincing herbs and shallots, the edge never lost a beat and felt fresh every day. Truly different and astounding to me.

Can say I really enjoyed this knife/steel combo and probably will be looking into it in the future for myself.

Been a hectic weekend. But got a chance to pick up the knife not too long ago. Haven’t gotten to fully use it but from my initial impressions, I’m quite impressed.

Did want to mention though as I’m not sure if it was before that there is a bit of a scuff on one side which is purely aesthetic. But there are small darker spots on the water marks which seem superficial for now but I’d be a bit cautious about it

IMG_5514.jpeg

IMG_5515.jpeg

Back