Current BST practices

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, try to control pricing here on KKF, and the person will likely just list it elsewhere, and those who only hang out on KKF will miss the chance.

How about simply allowing people to write their opinion without this forced positive only comment?

Because there are plenty of other areas to post negative opinions on a knife? Doing it on bst doesn't seem like the right place to badmouth something to me?

:shrugs: YMMV.

Because there are plenty of other areas to post negative opinions on a knife? Doing it on bst doesn't seem like the right place to badmouth something to me?

:shrugs: YMMV.

There is a difference between badmouthing and honest criticism/opinions which helps inform prospective buyers though

And in any case, badmouthing in any thread is generally frowned upon here, isn't it?

In general it is not allowed to comment in any transactions between two parties, unless one is part of the transaction. Does anyone come to a dealership and tells prospective buyers that the car in their opinion is overpriced, or farmers market or anywhere else. BST is not exactly like that, but still why would there be a reason for anyone not related to the sale to comment? I can understand someone saying cool knife, or good luck with the sale, etc since this doesn't really sway anyone one way or another.... Just because internet makes it easy and safe to do so, doesn't mean it is the right or beneficial thing to do.

There is a difference between badmouthing and honest criticism/opinions which helps inform prospective buyers though

Yes..... BUT: is it really your (or any of our) business to give our opinion about a knife in the BST? An opinion neither the seller nor a prospective buyer has specifically asked for?

If a potential buyer publicly asks for our opinion on the knife we are still free to PM him (or her) and voice our concerns and criticism.

I'll get on board with providing criticism on BST when I see " WTS xxx knife. Cuts like ****, fit and finish is awful, uneven grinds, everything sticks to it, incredibly reactive in a bad way, way overpriced. Paid $500 a month ago and can't wait to unload it. $475 shipped".

Some interesting stuff in this thread, thank you Spipet for starting it and sharing your opinions.

From my personal perspective as a member and a moderator I can say there ain't no way in hell I'm going to become the BST policeman. He bought it for X and now he's selling it for X plus? I'm not going to waste my limited google-fu on checking prices.

To me the WTS thread belongs to the member that started it, he alone can set prices, terms, geographic constraints and negotiate offers. I think its regrettable that there has to be a rule against bad manners but that's what the "no negative" is about. Nothing negative about the knife, the price, the member or the original retailer while under the BST umbrella. I don't give twoshits if one thinks they are saving the world from an overpriced knife. Not here.

We have kicked around the method some forums use - member posts the knife and thread is closed to any comment afterward. I like this method and don't see it changing any time soon.

I don't like popcorn but am going to fire up a stick. As you were.

Which people are allowed to post in the relevant forum areas.

How would you feel if I was to jump on to your current WTS thread and post my "opinion" on that knife. Which may or may not be based on real experience?

Conversely consider that you are looking at a knife on BST and you have 3 pages of "GLWS" Great looking blade" and then I pop in and say "way overpriced, can find cleaner examples elsewhere for less" or "that looks messed up, I wouldn't touch it" (or what seem a semi reasonable criticism). Would that not sway you away from the sale more then all those other responses? Yes they may be valid, but they are not fact just opinion for an unrelated party and could easily just be from an a-hole that enjoys stirring the pot.

I agree with daveb here, even though I hope we will not see the 'upselling' of rare items to spread around here. BTW I have also seen stones being sold that way.

Also - some may be good with grabbing a not properly described stone or knife elsewhere (eBay, Buyee, etc.) and selling it with a considerable profit at a market value with proper description on KKF. I can not blame them for doing that.

And in any case, badmouthing in any thread is generally frowned upon here, isn't it?
Not necessarily true. I pop up whenever shig nakiris are discussed and am pretty honest about what a pos I thought mine was. Got a few amens and even some pm's advising me on where shig did better work.

I don't think a bst thread would be appropriate to post my negative opinion. Especially because you never know how much work/better at cleaning up stuff that other member may be. I'm frequently tempted to buy one of Nutmegs' shig nakiris to see if I really am missing put on something.

I agree with daveb here, even though I hope we will not see the 'upselling' of rare items to spread around here. BTW I have also seen stones being sold that way.

Also - some may be good with grabbing a not properly described stone or knife elsewhere (eBay, Buyee, etc.) and selling it with a considerable profit at a market value with proper description on KKF. I can not blame them for doing that.
Can I ask why you don't want to see "upselling" of rare items?

Would you prefer they are sold to a different community? Personally I would prefer they are at least attempted to be sold here so our collectors and users get the chance to grab it for fair market value (after all no one forces you to buy off BST). Or am I misinterpreting what you mean by upselling?

Also for perspective we are looking to provide a solution to something without a problem. In my recent memory there has not be a real instance of this recently.

It seems what all started this was a member bought a set of desirable knives, but only wanted one out of the set so put the other up for WTT. He was asked for his trade value, so he stated what it is worth for him to trade. (Some negative comments were made and removed) and then this thread pops up.

Now I may be making false assumptions about the links but that is the timeline in events as I see them.

Finally to the "we must protect the newbies" I just call rubbish on that for this instance. We are predominately talking rare collectables, which if a newbie is throwing that money at a blade then perhaps he has the sort of deep pockets that don't need protection.

The only instance I can recall for the lower end was a knife worth several hundred where it was pointed out it was available new for less, however he was selling for less than he paid just that he bought from vendor A whereas vendor b had it for sale for less. Now that is a conundrum. Do we protect the newbie or a long standing forum member that may have just chosen the wrong vendor.

Can I ask why you don't want to see "upselling" of rare items?

I see I did not explain myself particularly well here. Let me explain.

What I mean by 'upselling' is that someone snatches a 'rare' item (like a new Shig or Kato from Maxim) with the only intend to sell it at a profit. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Nothing more.

What I mean by 'upselling' is that someone snatches a 'rare' item (like a new Shig or Kato from Maxim) with the only intend to sell it at a profit. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Nothing more.
Ahh I get you. Totally agree.

When I read the first post from Spipet on this thread, I thought he was alluding to the act of scalping that he is not happy with. Literally, buying a knife with the sole intention of flipping it for a substantial profit within a short amount of time after purchase.

+1

Back