Current Top 5 and Top 10 Gyutos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you ever seen a Denka no Hoto in the flesh? You're talking big money for a knife that LOOKS like a student's first or second attempt. Of course it is by far the sharpest knife in my kit, and handles the most beautifully but crooked pins, grind marks, and horrifically rustic finishing.

I put it side by side against a Masakage Zero but when i closed my eyes, the Zero felt...like a Zero. Sorry Takeshi Saji but those lovely pins and finishing doesn't help me cut better.
Noooo but one day I hope to.

I have a tall petty by Kuwabara (Kuwahara?) that looks like an elementary school project but oh baby it loves to cut.

It also frenches my Shaptons. They’re a little breathless after she has her way with them, then coquettishly flounces off to break a shallot’s heart.

I put it side by side against a Masakage Zero but when i closed my eyes, the Zero felt...like a Zero. Sorry Takeshi Saji but those lovely pins and finishing doesn't help me cut better.
I wanted to like my Masakage so much. It's pedigree should've made it a top contender. SOLD!

I wanted to like my Masakage so much. It's pedigree should've made it a top contender. SOLD!
I went into the store ready to buy the Masakage Zero Santoku. Out of curiousity, I asked to hold that ugly knife in the corner that cost a few hundred dollars more.

It was UGLY. The smith did not even align his pins right. The handle was not ironwood - it was PAKKA wood FFS. Grind marks galore. It's like he hammered out a knife, made it sharp (by far the sharpest knife I've owned), made it well balanced and then went on a cigarette break while his assistant shipped the knife out for sale.

I said: Fine! i'm going to close my eyes (do not do this at home) and examine each knife's balance without an eye (pun intended) for aesthetics.

The TF won hands down. I asked why it was cheaper on the manufacturer's website. Apparently the buyer for the store would go to Japan, pick out the best knives in the batch and sell THOSE in the store. Also, it's not unheard of that retailers would do some of the aesthetic finishing themselves before selling them to the final customer. Can you imagine any other knife maker doing that?

That being said, the knife sings like a canary. When I have a large batch of food to process, I automatically reach for my Denka no Hoto.

Been meaning to do an updated Top 5 and Top 10 as tastes change and new knives come in. Although partly unintentional the Top 5 ended up being one each from the five makers I probably use the most.

Top 5:

Kamon Plain Forged Gyuto 1.2519 Monosteel 260x58 235g
Milan Gravier Twisted Deep Etch Wrought Gyuto 135Cr3 Wrought clad 217x56 209g
Yanick Gyuto 135Cr3 Wrought clad 233x57 230g
Kippington Workpony 52100 Monosteel 228x53 215g
Bidinger Right sided B-grind Gyuto CPM-154 Monosteel 240x56 220g

IMG_3428.jpg

Top 10:

Kamon Gigantoku 1.2519 Monosteel 220x75 327g
Yanick Gyuto 135Cr3 Wrought clad 230x53 204g
Milan Gravier Gyuto 135Cr3 Wrought clad 248x61 248g
Bidinger Gyuto AEBL Monosteel 260x64 358g
Bidinger Gyuto Magnacut Monosteel 205x52 179g

IMG_3460.jpg

That handle on the Bidinger AEB-L looks incredible, I'm a sucker for brass colors on dark handles.
Dan's handles are the nicest full tang western handles I've used. Such a nice attention to detail and wood choice. I've loved everyone of these. Different pins on every handle and each works so well.

IMG_3447.jpg

Dan's handles are the nicest full tang western handles I've used. Such a nice attention to detail and wood choice. I've loved everyone of these. Different pins on every handle and each works so well.

View attachment 316650
guys this dude is the reason we haven't been able to get our hands on Bidingers

seriously…….leave some for the rest of us and don’t give us the excuse of I’ve accumulated over a few years 😂😂
Met @PeterL at the London meetup, when I saw his collection, I felt jealous, puzzled, angry all at the same time.

If you haven't noticed already, he doesn't sharpen his knife, coz he doesn't need to. Dude gets all the Western unicorns faster than @blokey going through the knife Japan catalogue.

Met @PeterL at the London meetup, when I saw his collection, I felt jealous, puzzled, angry all at the same time.

If you haven't noticed already, he doesn't sharpen his knife, coz he doesn't need to. Dude gets all the Western unicorns faster than @blokey going through the knife Japan catalogue.

1713845783259.jpeg

Back