Custom gyuto by Ian Rogers - the process

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed that the final handle is a bit darker than the burl picture. Is that intentional?

I noticed that the final handle is a bit darker than the burl picture. Is that intentional?
The photos of the wood block are taken without a light box. The knife photos are inside a light box, which diffuses the light to spread it more evenly across the knife. There isn't any bright light inside the light box which is probably the difference that you are seeing. The leftover wood and the handle are the same color. :)

Beautiful Knife Ian.
Will you be at the Eugene knife show this weekend?

Thanks Mark. I won't be at the show this weekend.

According to USPS the knife arrived to customs today. Jest few km away. I can feel its presence :ninja:

:)

Congrats on the score, Matus! It's a beautiful knife. Looking forward to reading your review.

Since I have not heard from the customs yet, it seems like I will only be able to get my hands on the knife after Easter :sad0:

Thats too bad Matus. Enjoy easter and hopefully your knife arrives very soon!

It's only a couple if days. Hope you get it soon.

Since I have not heard from the customs yet, it seems like I will only be able to get my hands on the knife after Easter :sad0:
AHHH....get it together already, Customs. :nunchucks:

AHHH....get it together already, Customs. :nunchucks:

Yeah, I keep starring at the USPS tracking page and waiting for "Recipient is being notified" :bashhead:

And now even the USPS webpage is temporarily not working :angryspin:

I need to take more relaxed stance I guess :wink:

This becoming a patience lessen for me ... :sad0:
Wow, this really is taking ages. I thought German customs was better compared to Dutch customs (they really really suck), but they're starting to trump the Dutchies...

Good luck waiting man!

german custom guys are not the fastest... ive been there yesterday to pick up some tojiros for my apprentice: one guy workin, 4 guys lookin around...

german custom guys are not the fastest... ive been there yesterday to pick up some tojiros for my apprentice: one guy workin, 4 guys lookin around...
Seems like a dream job, do they have any positions that need to be filled? :p

Yeah, the guys working there do not seem too stressed. In my case there was Easter in between and I also do not know how long it takes for the goods to get from Frankfurt to Aalen customs. When I called them last Wednesday the package was not in Aalen yet even though it was already in Germany. I do hope to get the knife in the course of this week.

Wish me luck :)

And here it comes! I have picked up the knife just few hours ago. After unpacking I could only say ... "wow" ... I mean - I do not use that word much, but my jaw just dropped :excited:

I am not going into too many details at this point - just let me mention that .. :
... the F&F of the blade and handle is amazing.
... the design of the knife is great and looks even better live than in pictures.
... the knife has quite some heft (shy under 250g).
... the blade is shaving sharp and push cuts paper like it was made for it.
... the handle feels great in hand.
... I am out of words from joy!

@Ian - thank you, thank you very much, you did some really great work on this one! :thumbsup:

I had to take photos, of course :), but now let me share just one (the light was already fading outside). I will make a full review once I get to use the knife - then more photos will come.

If there are any questions about the knife - just post them here and I will answer them in the review. Otherwise my PM box will explode :)

Beautiful knife, congrats to the owner and maker:doublethumbsup:

Wow. Pretty spectacular looking piece!

Glad you FINALLY got it through customs and you are happy with it.
That cutting board is niiiiiice.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I will make a short write-up on the board as well once I find the time. It is awesome indeed :)

daaaaannnggg! I can't wait to hear about this thing. I got a feeling that Ian's site is going to explode :D

Wow man, I love the look of that ferrule with the spacer and the contrast with the rest of the handle. Enjoy Matus :) I'm sure you will!!!

Back