Custom gyuto by Ian Rogers - the process

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since you guys insist - the knife slices meat like a dream. It does seem a bit too thick behind the edge for carrots or potatoes and the like (to make it clear - it was ordered as workhorse that should not flex too much) - but I need to use it more to see whether thinning will be done or not.

Frankly I still need to make some more meat work to be able to tell you more, but it sits great in hand and thanks to its weight it glides through the meat with no effort.

I know that half of KKF is waiting for the review (or so I keep telling myself :) ), but the knife will first go bak to Ian so that he can make some adjustments (thinning). On the way back it will be accompanied by a pairing knife from Ian (that is meant for my wife) - I will then review them both together.

It is not easy for me to part with the gyuto even if only for a few weeks. It is just so nice :)

Glad you like it. I was on the edge of an order but decided to hold off for a while. I'm a fan of paper-thin edges personally so workhorse reviews don't do much for me, but it'll still be interesting to read.

Just to make it clear - the 'workhorse' feature was my request (and admittedly something I should have defined more clearly) - I do not think that that is something Ian does by default. And surely he has no problem to make knifes that are thin behind the edge (would be a tough business for him otherwise I guess). Just drop him en email if you have questions.

I know that half of KKF is waiting for the review (or so I keep telling myself :) ), but the knife will first go bak to Ian so that he can make some adjustments (thinning). On the way back it will be accompanied by a pairing knife from Ian (that is meant for my wife) - I will then review them both together.

Hey Matus, have you received your gyuto back from Ian get? I think you've still got half of KKF waiting for the review ;)

I am in frequent contact with Ian. The gyuto was thinned and refinished, but is still at Ian's shop for a very simpler reason - he is doing 100mm pairing knife for my wife and so I have decided to wait until the parer will be ready so save a bit on shipping.

I promisse - the review will come.

Gyuto and matching paring, plus flowery mosaic pin for Mrs. Matus.

xMiUcOLl.jpg

Choil shot of the gyuto. For the numbers folks:
Behind the edge is .005in/.14mm
.5in/12mm behind the edge is .03in/.8mm

7ZRhwNsl.jpg

Holy sugar snap peas! Very thin!
What's the spine measurement again?

Gyuto and matching paring, plus flowery mosaic pin for Mrs. Matus.

xMiUcOLl.jpg

Choil shot of the gyuto. For the numbers folks:
Behind the edge is .005in/.14mm
.5in/12mm behind the edge is .03in/.8mm

7ZRhwNsl.jpg

They both look fantastic .

Ian, just awesome, thank you :thumbsup:

But now I have to wait to mid September (because of vacation and shipping times to Europe) to get my hands on them - long 4 weeks of wait.

And yes - the long promised review will come afterwards - with a little surprise :groucho: :biggrin:

That looks awesome. The handle contour and design looks ergonomic from the picture. Pretty light weight blade wow. Nice.

The knives have arrived! The gyuto lost 30g (!) in the thinning process. It is too early to try to get into details - the knife will now get used as much as possible and the promised review WILL come in few weeks time :)

Yes, they both look gorgeous - the pairing knife is a little jewel :)

Thank you Ian!

Thank you for taking the time to review the gyuto. Very thorough. :biggrin:

Back